Exercise Machines

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
We've had a TV in the bedroom ever since we've been married, now 17 years. I know some say that the bedroom is only for two things, but we've got two recliners, a coffee table and a treadmill in the bedroom. It's nice to watch TV when on the treadmill on those days we can't make it to the gym.
Im the same, I have a bike in the bedroom and watch tv while im on it all the time. Not to mention I cant sleep without the tv on.

Im the same, I have a bike in the bedroom and watch tv while im on it all the time. Not to mention I cant sleep without the tv on.

G-Man,

Try a fan. Medium loud, but with a noise that is steady and consistent without any clicking. I can't sleep without white noise and a fan (summer) or humidifier (winter) does the trick (or boot dryer if I've been snowboarding that day and I'm crashing at someone else's place.)

Stationary bike or trainer for your road/mountain bike?

G-Man,
Try a fan. Medium loud, but with a noise that is steady and consistent without any clicking. I can't sleep without white noise and a fan (summer) or humidifier (winter) does the trick (or boot dryer if I've been snowboarding that day and I'm crashing at someone else's place.)
Ill have to try the fan trick in a pinch, I usually put on news and fall right asleep. After having the house robbed and tons of cars broken into, I have become paranoid when trying to fall asleep. I keep hoping im going to catch the guy so I wake up to every bit of noise I hear.

Stationary bike or trainer for your road/mountain bike?

Stationary, my knees are too jacked up for a tread mill.

Have you tried an elliptical? Much easier on your knees & gives you one heck of a workout.

Have you tried an elliptical? Much easier on your knees & gives you one heck of a workout.

For sure, I use it at the gym all the time. I just bought a cheap bike for the house for when im to lazy to go to the gym.

Talk to me bro. High end? Low end? What to look for?
I had a magnetic resistance trainer for my mountain bike (swapped street tires for the trainer), both both are old and clunky right now and I'm not planning on buying a new bike yet. Plus, I want something more comfortable than the nutcracker/prostate exam seat that comes on bikes.

Talk to me bro. High end? Low end? What to look for?
I had a magnetic resistance trainer for my mountain bike (swapped street tires for the trainer), both both are old and clunky right now and I'm not planning on buying a new bike yet. Plus, I want something more comfortable than the nutcracker/prostate exam seat that comes on bikes.
Its a low end POS, it was a show room model reebok I bought at Sports Authority. To be honest, the seat never seems to be at the right height,and it makes for an uncomfortable ride. If I was to buy another, I would shell out the extra money for a life fitness or something like that. I think its time in the bedroom is coming to an end soon anyways, the lady is looking at buying a pilates reformer machine.

This thread has got me thinking....when JB and I move I think I would like to have an elliptical or something in our bedroom so I can work out in the morning. I will be working from home when we move and I would love to be able to get some exercising in....I have to do something to burn off this damn chocolate cake.

Where can I find a good deal on a machine and what is a decent brand? I don't need anything top of the line just something to get the job done. What's a reasonable amount to spend on something like that? Is it possible to get one for under $500 that won't break in a week?

I picked mine up from Craigslist, paid $100. It's a lower end unit but works & looks like new. The only thing I don't like is the magnetic resistance setup is battery powered vs plugging it in.

I thought about Craigslist and Ebay. The only problem is I don't have a truck to pick it up. That and I have no idea what is considered good or bad.

This thread has got me thinking....when JB and I move I think I would like to have an elliptical or something in our bedroom so I can work out in the morning. I will be working from home when we move and I would love to be able to get some exercising in....I have to do something to burn off this damn chocolate cake.

Where can I find a good deal on a machine and what is a decent brand? I don't need anything top of the line just something to get the job done. What's a reasonable amount to spend on something like that? Is it possible to get one for under $500 that won't break in a week?

I think your best bet for a well-built cardio machine for $500 would be a stationary bike or treadmill. I've seen many decent ones for that price, but really haven't seen any good elliptical machines for $500. If you wanted to go the used route, I'm sure you could find all kinds of "clothes hangers" that will suit your budget.

Some ellipticals breakdown pretty easily, remove the handles, blah blah blah. You could probably wedge one in the trunk or slide it in the back seat.

The bigger units such as a Horizon are a pain to move though.

I think your best bet for a well-built cardio machine for $500 would be a stationary bike or treadmill. I've seen many decent ones for that price, but really haven't seen any good elliptical machines for $500. If you wanted to go the used route, I'm sure you could find all kinds of "clothes hangers" that will suit your budget.

Oh yeah I am totally fine with a used machine as long as it is in good condition. I like the elliptical because they are easier on your knees and I feel the are a better work out. I HATE running so the treadmill would be hard for me to use everyday and the bike, like Harry kind of said, is just not comfortable. I like the cross-training effect of the elliptical.

If you wanted to go the used route, I'm sure you could find all kinds of "clothes hangers" that will suit your budget.

That's how I got all 3 pieces of equipment. Buddy from work didn't want his treadmill anymore & just gave it to me. The elliptical & stationary bike I bought off craigslist, didn't look they had been used for anything except hanging clothes.

Sorta like this pos Body by Jake abdominizer is that we have. My wife bought it from an infomercial about 4 years ago. The only exercise that thing has ever seen is me lugging it up & down the stairs to make more room for guests.

Oh yeah I am totally fine with a used machine as long as it is in good condition. I like the elliptical because they are easier on your knees and I feel the are a better work out. I HATE running so the treadmill would be hard for me to use everyday and the bike, like Harry kind of said, is just not comfortable. I like the cross-training effect of the elliptical.

Check with your call girl neighbor. She might have some extra exercise equipment.

IM convinced the Tread Climber is the greatest piece of exercise equipment ever invented. The only problem is the dont seem to be very reliable. The gym has 4 of them and usually 1 if not 2 are always down. Nautalis all the way.
nautilus-treadclimber-tc916.jpg

LOL nope. Believe it or not, my mind is so much further in the gutter than his is. I keep it PG for the forum, but I have often said things that have either left him speechless or blushing.

:call-me:

I have an elliptical that I love. It lives in the basement though, not the bedroom. None of that stuff in the bedroom! I paid a lot more than $500 for it, but have probably got the cost down to less than $1/day. Even if you're looking to buy used, go to some equipment showroom, tell them you're looking, and try the stuff out. Different machines feel different right away.

IM convinced the Tread Climber is the greatest piece of exercise equipment ever invented. The only problem is the dont seem to be very reliable. The gym has 4 of them and usually 1 if not 2 are always down. Nautalis all the way.

I have heard really great things about those. However, I would like to have a reliable machine, I don't want to spend a ton of money constantly repairing it.

I have seen the tv ads for those, they don't look very sturdy & with the number of motors, belts, etc involved, a breakdown is a sure thing.

Not sure if you have 2nd Wind around you, but they are a used exercise equipment store...but they tend to deal in the higher end stuff & can be pretty expensive.

Play it Again Sports sometimes has decent stuff for a good price.

WHy not just get one of these.
rom.jpg

Only $15k or so and you can exercise in 5 minutes.

Back