Ever have one of those days.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Played on the 4th struggled to hit the ball well. Was able to scramble with wedges and still shoot a score that was right on my cap. Easily left 4 or more strokes out there. 12.6 cap from tees played I need to shoot 84. Tapped the 84th shot in on 18. What felt like a 100 plus. Do you look at it like wow I struggled and held it together it or wow if I would have putted better I could have really gone low.

I think that we, as golfers, always tend to look at the shots left out on the course rather than the shots we saved, which I am very much in that camp. However, when I reflect back on a round where I salvaged a good score despite part of my game falling apart, then I really try and look at the positives of the round.

Yep. I've had days where I shot low 80s and it felt like high 90s, and vice-versa as well. On days like you're describing the thoughts are a mixture of both afterward - you're happy to find out that it wasn't as bad as you thought it was, but then you also muse over what could have been.

We played on Monday. It's the easier of the three local courses and all in all, I felt like I played ok. Butchered #1 banging it around some trees. Really hit the ball pretty well, fought some hooks off the tee, but hit most of the par 3's. Simply made no putts, nothing outside of 5 feet. I don't keep stats but it had to be 45+ putts? It had rained quite a bit and the greens had not been mowed and were quite spongy. No excuses, just bad putting. Anyways, totaled things up and 48-48 :oops: Ah well, weather was nice and played with some different friends for the first time.

Happens more than I would like for sure. Last week when I shot a total of a 93 I thought after the front nine, wow I am going over 100 today for sure and that doesn't happen very much anymore at all. After the back nine I was happy to get that 93 but man I left a lot of shots out there and missed a lot of putts.

Yes. Same the other way too.

If I can keep away from penalty strokes the end score is better usually even if everything else struggled.

Flip side is I can hit a ton of great shots and make a handful of birdies. But a few unlucky triples and quads completely kill the end score.

Reactions: Ooo
. But a few unlucky triples and quads completely kill the end score.

This is me. If I can stay away from them I'm doing well, if I have 2 holes that are really bad my score is shot even if my 9 has 5 good holes.

I try and accept the score for what it is. Thinking "oh if I hadn't taken 3 shots to get out of that trap" or "if I hadn't been in the woods on 17" for me aren't productive, and I'm thinking about negative stuff. When I walk off I always try and think about all the good things I did that led to my score, and use that to get pumped for my next round.

I definitely have those days although I was really struggling during my round on the 4th off the tee and putting.

Off the tee, I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or not but the only time I’ve struggled is when I used a ball that wasn’t a PV1x. It’s happened 3 times this season.

Putting im thinking about the stroke too much.

Back to the original question though, I’ve definitely had rounds where I shot better than I should have. I almost always feel like I left shots out there too.

I try and accept the score for what it is. Thinking "oh if I hadn't taken 3 shots to get out of that trap" or "if I hadn't been in the woods on 17" for me aren't productive, and I'm thinking about negative stuff. When I walk off I always try and think about all the good things I did that led to my score, and use that to get pumped for my next round.

I shot an 82 the other day and had a pair of 7's on two par 4's. Definitely leaves you with a feeling of "what could've been" but I agree with you 100%, I was tickled just to have shot in the low 80s again and the positive outweighed that. I tell my brother who is just getting into golf to do exactly what you said. Even if he shoots 100+, remember the handful of good or great shots you had, and that will keep you coming back.

Played on the 4th struggled to hit the ball well. Was able to scramble with wedges and still shoot a score that was right on my cap. Easily left 4 or more strokes out there. 12.6 cap from tees played I need to shoot 84. Tapped the 84th shot in on 18. What felt like a 100 plus. Do you look at it like wow I struggled and held it together it or wow if I would have putted better I could have really gone low.
Yeah , yesterday. Chips, and putts are a strong point in my game. Couldn't do either very well yesterday for whatever reason(s).

Shot my own par of 85, but easily left 3-4 strokes on the golf course.

Missed some easy putts, and mis-hit a few chips leaving myself longer putts.

Still had a great time though.

I am usually looking at the strokes I Ieave out there on the course. The 86 that could be a 80 if I could eliminate the 3 jacked chips and 2 terrible tee shots that go OB to go with the duffed 2nd shot after a great drive also

Last edited:
Every time. I think thats what makes golf so addictive, you look back on every round and you feel like youre either so close or if this or that had gone better you could have played better.

Absolutely. It's probably one of the things that pushes me to improve. I'll review all my rounds afterwards and wonder about missed opportunities, or how I'd play a certain shot next time.

And I've had it the other way around too - thinking that I didn't play well but my score was better than expected.

Back