Electric bag Cart...Remote vs follow me technology...let the arguments start

Here is a pic of my zip navigator. This is the second remote cart I've owned, and is definitely my favorite. It is VERY sturdy and hard to tip over. My last cart would topple over once a round on average, which is really embarrassing. It also turns on a dime, even with a 70 lb bag attached to it. Battery is good enough for two or more rounds. Only minus is the remote is really expensive if you ever have to replace it. About a year ago one of the buttons stopped working and it cost something like $120 or so to replace it. Other than that, very pleased with it. There are also some nice attachments you can add. I have a phone holder, two drink holders, umbrella holder, and a place to hang my speaker.

123.png

I have a remote, have not tried a follow me-type cart, but having played with a remote version for five seasons, I have no interest in a follow me version. I would always be wondering if it was ok. I would rather see it in front of me. I play on hilly courses and even with gyro features, the wheel that sticks out behind, etc., there are times when I need to put a steadying hand on the cart. There are curbs, obstacles, etc. that I think could present problems at times with a cart following behind.

I have a remote, have not tried a follow me-type cart, but having played with a remote version for five seasons, I have no interest in a follow me version. I would always be wondering if it was ok. I would rather see it in front of me. I play on hilly courses and even with gyro features, the wheel that sticks out behind, etc., there are times when I need to put a steadying hand on the cart. There are curbs, obstacles, etc. that I think could present problems at times with a cart following behind.
Yep, and the other thing is that most of the better remote carts that have a gyroscope feature, they do a very good job staying on their line. With mine, I just point it to my ball, and there is usually very little adjustment needed until we get there. Therefore, I don't have to baby it and probably spend less time looking at it than if it was behind me.

You would be surprised how well the follow feature works. It tracks along the exact path you walk. After a couple of holes I had pretty much complete trust. Put the remote in your pocket and walk no need to fiddle with a remote.

Yep, and the other thing is that most of the better remote carts that have a gyroscope feature, they do a very good job staying on their line. With mine, I just point it to my ball, and there is usually very little adjustment needed until we get there. Therefore, I don't have to baby it and probably spend less time looking at it than if it was behind me.

The only time you look is when you get to your ball to grap your club. You do have to hit the button to turn off the follow while you hit your shot. It is not perfect but pretty close.

You would be surprised how well the follow feature works. It tracks along the exact path you walk. After a couple of holes I had pretty much complete trust. Put the remote in your pocket and walk no need to fiddle with a remote.
What cart do you own?

The Stewart Q follow is so good.

Has remote and follow function, which makes it the perfect cart for me.

I personally don’t get the remote only carts. If you’re doing it, might as well go for it 100% and get the follow functionality
Sometimes you like to send the bag to the next tee and have it chill out there, or leave them at the top of hills on blind shots. That’s a useful feature, especially the latter

Sometimes you like to send the bag to the next tee and have it chill out there, or leave them at the top of hills on blind shots. That’s a useful feature, especially the latter

100%, the q has that capability, the cart follows the controller and can send in front if you want to. All I’m saying is follow is awesome. Best of both worlds.

When I was considering a remote golf cart, it came down to the MGI Navigator (which I own now) and the Stewart golf cart that has the follow me feature. I chose the MGI cart because it was about $500 less, had all of the other features I wanted with solid reviews, the gyroscope feature which keeps the cart online, and is a VERY stable cart - hardly ever tips over. The follow me feature didn't seem like enough to justify spending more because I just don't think I could walk hole to hole with something behind me. It obviously works for others though.

If making a recommendation to others, I would HIGHLY recommend beginning with carts that have a gyroscope feature because that makes a huge difference. My last cart didn't have this so it required a lot of fiddling around with the remote going to my ball. The gyroscope feature is great - just point and shoot and your cart stays on line. The other thing that I can't express enough is the importance of stability. My current cart is hard to tip even if you try (aside from riding it over a curb). My last cart was maddening at times tipping over due to terrain and bumps in the fairway (also embarrassing). The Stewart (follow me) cart might very well check those two boxes as well, so this isn't meant to imply that it doesn't. It's just that I would start with those two things first before looking at other features because there are a lot of carts out there that don't do these two things very well.

Two other things I would recommend... buy a cart from a manufacturer who has a service center in the country you live. My last cart did not and that was a huge headache when it came time to servicing it. I finally gave up on one repair. The other thing I'd recommend is to buy one from a company that allows you to return it if you don't like it. Both MGI and Stewart offer these things, at least for me (I live in the US).

When I was considering a remote golf cart, it came down to the MGI Navigator (which I own now) and the Stewart golf cart that has the follow me feature. I chose the MGI cart because it was about $500 less, had all of the other features I wanted with solid reviews, the gyroscope feature which keeps the cart online, and is a VERY stable cart - hardly ever tips over. The follow me feature didn't seem like enough to justify spending more because I just don't think I could walk hole to hole with something behind me. It obviously works for others though.

If making a recommendation to others, I would HIGHLY recommend beginning with carts that have a gyroscope feature because that makes a huge difference. My last cart didn't have this so it required a lot of fiddling around with the remote going to my ball. The gyroscope feature is great - just point and shoot and your cart stays on line. The other thing that I can't express enough is the importance of stability. My current cart is hard to tip even if you try (aside from riding it over a curb). My last cart was maddening at times tipping over due to terrain and bumps in the fairway (also embarrassing). The Stewart (follow me) cart might very well check those two boxes as well, so this isn't meant to imply that it doesn't. It's just that I would start with those two things first before looking at other features because there are a lot of carts out there that don't do these two things very well.

Two other things I would recommend... buy a cart from a manufacturer who has a service center in the country you live. My last cart did not and that was a huge headache when it came time to servicing it. I finally gave up on one repair. The other thing I'd recommend is to buy one from a company that allows you to return it if you don't like it. Both MGI and Stewart offer these things, at least for me (I live in the US).
Great suggestion on the parts. I broke the anti roll wheels and service sent me parts right away to replace. They did offer for me to send the cart in but figured I could swap out the parts. Was a little more complicated than I first thought but figured it out.

Follow to me is what makes the cart better, 500 bucks or get on sale Black Friday is worth it to me. If you’re going electric, might as well do it all the way.

I have been using Electric Carts for at least 10 years now, I do not feel comfortable with the "follow me" feature as i can walk down the fairway with my remote, and coffee or gatorade and i know where its going. When i get to the green i can send it to the side away from others or the next tee box while i am waiting to putt.
How does it avoid obstacles? Say you send it over to the side of the green but forget there is a bunker there? And it falls into the bunker? Or realizes where it's at

Those are fantastic insights and, having been using a cart for 5 years, I think that they are spot on.

How does it avoid obstacles? Say you send it over to the side of the green but forget there is a bunker there? And it falls into the bunker? Or realizes where it's at
No matter what cart you go with, you have to steer it safely if the cart is ahead of you. I never send the cart anywhere I can't see.

One other thing, which is probably true with any cart, is that if a button gets pushed while in your pocket unknowingly, it can be trouble. For example, after first getting my cart, I parked it near the green. As I was putting, the forward button got pushed but I didn't know as my back was to my cart. After I finished my putts, I looked over to where I parked it and it was no longer there. I thought someone took it at first but then saw it out of the corner of my eye. It hit a lamp pole on the way into the street!! If not for the lamp pole, it could have been disastrous. From that moment on, I now use the lock button on my remote religiously when heading to the green. I've never experienced that issue again. Long way of saying, you have to be careful with any of these remote carts. I've heard of horror stories of people sending their cart into a pond and other such places.

It is strictly remote control, if you drive it in a bunker, it goes in the bunker. It does not have addaptive cruise control. I do not let it get much further than 20-25 yards from me. on a walk. If i send it to the next tee box, i am watching it

No matter what cart you go with, you have to steer it safely if the cart is ahead of you. I never send the cart anywhere I can't see.

One other thing, which is probably true with any cart, is that if a button gets pushed while in your pocket unknowingly, it can be trouble. For example, after first getting my cart, I parked it near the green. As I was putting, the forward button got pushed but I didn't know as my back was to my cart. After I finished my putts, I looked over to where I parked it and it was no longer there. I thought someone took it at first but then saw it out of the corner of my eye. It hit a lamp pole on the way into the street!! If not for the lamp pole, it could have been disastrous. From that moment on, I now use the lock button on my remote religiously when heading to the green. I've never experienced that issue again. Long way of saying, you have to be careful with any of these remote carts. I've heard of horror stories of people sending their cart into a pond and other such places.
I had a similar experience once. I left my cart closer to the tee box of the next hole and walked up on the green to putt. When I holed out, I went back to put my putter in the bag and pull my driver and my cart was gone. It was kind of shocking. I looked around and it was nowhere in sight. I finally looked down into the scrub oak on the other side of the next tee box and there was my cart, bag, etc. there was kind of a drop off and I had to pull it all out. Everything was fine, but it was a lesson learned, LOL.

Same, as I learned later (me being me, I don't read the manual), I had this happen 1 time, the cart hit a tree while I was putting on #2 at a course in VA. That was 2 years ago. There is a lock button that I now hit when the cart is not moving/parked. To unlock, simply press it again. Issue solved.

The one time, as stated above, the cart tipped over - no damage to anything just a bit of embarrassment.

Conversely, when I had the caddytrek version 1- (I think) it was a follow trolley, it decided to not follow multiple times, over about 10 rounds, they did an update and it improved, but by then trust was lost. I sold it to another person who was fully aware of the issues in advance. No idea if he had similar issues or not. Though I am sure follow tech has improved a lot (just from reading this thread) that trust is just not there. I want the cart in front of me when moving or parked between the green and the next tee.

Glad to hear I'm not the only dumba$$ that allowed their cart to go for a spin on its own. The other "obvious" fix is to leave the remote on the cart when you putt. I don't usually do this because on some greens, I like to move the cart towards the next tee box as I walk off.

Oh yeah... one other thing I'd recommend (and probably all of the better/premium carts do this well) is look at the turning radius. My old cart was like like trying to turn a bus around on a narrow street. I would have to sometimes back it up or even lift it myself a bit to turn it if I had to make a tight turn. That was such a pain. My current cart turns on a dime. You can essentially turn it in circles basically without it going anywhere. This is important.

Last thing on all this... on most courses, people want you to fail. At my course, I am the only person I have seen in three years with one. People get a kick out of it and know me by my cart. However, just know there are some who would find it hilarious for you to drive your cart into a pond (especially those guys who are pushing their carts around).

Posted a little about this in the Alphard thread, but after the first round of using a remote/follow cart, I'm pretty confident (at the moment at least) that I prefer remote over follow. Felt like I was looking for excuses to use the follow rather than it being the obvious choice during the round. All the stuff I'd want to do in follow mode I could do with the cart going leisurely out in front of me, plus I wasn't worried about stuff falling off which happened a couple times. FWIW on the Alphard you don't need to constantly hold the forward button which may not be how other carts work. I'll probably keep the Alphard tether unit as it's relatively inexpensive to see if there is some utility I haven't found, but if I were in the market for a full standalone cart I don't think I'd pay the extra for a follow version.

Have had my Caddytrek R2 for nearly two months now. At least 10 rounds under my belt. Only one round used the remote mode as due to colder weather (sub 40), my jacket/vest covered my belt preventing remote clear site of the R2. All other rounds, used the follow mode over 95% of the time. The exceptions are parking lot, bridges, and street crossings.

Have not had issues with the R2 that others have mentioned with older models. Apparently Caddytrek has made updates accordingly.
Virtually every issue I’ve had with it has been user induced (read dumba$$) mistakes. And I’ve had my share of them. Driving it through the rough and thinking that small grass depressing isn’t a foot deep. Cart went over in its side. Look around to see if anyone noticed my stellar move. Forgetting to hit the stop button when you realize it’s about to hit something/someone. Thank goodness this cart is sturdy.

But other than me being my stupid self, the R2 has been wonderful. It performs exactly as advertised And then some. Wet and muddy conditions don’t bother it at all. I probably drove it thru places I shouldn’t have. And it just keeps on truckin. One of my golf mates just ordered one for himself.

I can’t even begin to say how much more enjoyable a round is. Walking freely, arms swinging, enjoying the day and your bag trailing behind you.

Now the just have to invent an AI golf bag that will slide out you club when you ask. Of course, the AI will give you a 7 when you ask for an 8 because it’ll learn you can’t get there with an 8. 😀😀

I have the Motocaddy M7 GPS for my summer course. During the winter, I play in AZ on a course that doesn't use push/pull carts - have to carry. They experimented last summer with ClubCar TempoWalk, a follow me cart with no remote or push options. I used it about 3 times and hated it. Playing in the desert, with a push cart or remote cart, there are shortcuts between holes. The follow me feature of the the TempoWalk made me walk like I was driving a semi-truck, could not cut corners. The any push cart or follow cart makes you change your walking patterns. I love using the M7 during the summer but, for me, on a desert course, I much prefer carrying to either.

I also like the idea of seeing the cart in front of me and not worrying where it goes if I cut a corner. I had a friend with a follow cart at my summer course and used it 4 times before he sold it and bought a remote.

Just my experience - your mileage may vary.

Back