Edel Putters Thread

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
I didn't see an Edel Putters Thread, so I figured here would be a place for one. Is anyone currently playing one? I'm considering a fitting at the end of the week for one, but would love to hear thoughts.

I have one ... I love it! The fitting took over an hour. They are not cheap, but I consider mine worth every penny. If they do not use the laser along with the mirror, then they did not fit you correctly.

There are lots of customizing options. I highly recommended them.

Last edited:
I got fitted a year and a half ago for my birthday. The fitting was enlightening and I ended up with a putter that looks great (to me) and I am 100% confident is aiming where I want to aim. Yeah, it was fairly expensive but I'm also sure I won't be changing putters for a long time. The only bad thing is now I can't blame the putter. Here are some pictures of mine.

Just called and set up a fitting in Erie PA for Monday. Can't wait; I'll be sure to update with my thoughts and results.

Please give details - any and all you can. I want to have a fitting there possibly in a month or so. Looks like we're pretty close to each other and this is the location I would be going to also.
Just called and set up a fitting in Erie PA for Monday. Can't wait; I'll be sure to update with my thoughts and results.

Please give details - any and all you can. I want to have a fitting there possibly in a month or so. Looks like we're pretty close to each other and this is the location I would be going to also.

Will do. I probably won't take a ton of pictures as to not distract from the fitting, but I'll be sure to update with the process and results.

Just got done with the fitting. As I'm out of town driving back now, I'll update with my thoughts tonight or tomorrow. Took some pics of the setup, and will explain the process, results, and what my custom putter will be. (Spoiler: I bought one :)

Just got done with the fitting. As I'm out of town driving back now, I'll update with my thoughts tonight or tomorrow. Took some pics of the setup, and will explain the process, results, and what my custom putter will be. (Spoiler: I bought one :)

Very curious to hear what you have to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very curious to hear what you have to say.

I'm subbing in a league tonight, but I'll try to get a write-up posted before 10 tonight.

Congrats! I believe you will be really happy with the putter. Look forward to hear your review on the fitting, as mine was really in depth and a great experience!

Makes me want to get fitted for the wedges next.

Congrats! I believe you will be really happy with the putter. Look forward to hear your review on the fitting, as mine was really in depth and a great experience!

Makes me want to get fitted for the wedges next.

Same here. I fully plan on doing the wedge fitting in a month or so. Almost on my lunch break, so I'll start writing the review then.

Edel Putters Thread

Ok, so yesterday, I ventured down the Golf Evolution facility in Erie, PA for an Edel Putter Fitting. A little background on me: I am a two-handicap golfer. I hit the ball pretty consistently. Fairways and greens are the name of the game for me. My wedge game is pretty average. Putting is the worst part of my game. My last round I played 18 and shot 72 with 14 GIR's. Not a single birdie putt was outside of 20 feet, and 8 of them were inside of 10 feet. I only made 3 birdies, one of which was a tap-in. The round before that, I played 9 and shot a 37. I missed: 5 putts inside of 5 feet, 3 of which were inside of 3 feet. My putting is holding me back from going low, and I'm ready for a change. A couple texts later and I have an appointment in Erie.

For reference, my current gamer is a Piretti Cottonwood II Rev 2.0. 34", 70* lie, 2* loft. Superstroke 3.0 Flatso CounterCore Grip with a 50 gram weight in the butt end.

When I got there last night at 5:30, I met with Erik Barzeski, the Edel fitter and an all around great guy. I walked in, and after talking briefly, he had me warm up with my current gamer for about 5 minutes on the indoor green. The green was probably 25x40, and had uphill, downhill, and sidehill putts rolling at a 10 on the stimp. Then once he set up the backdrop and laser for the alignment part of the fitting, he called me over and we got into seeing where I align the ball on a six foot putt. For those who do not know, the way Edel tests for alignment is: they set up a backdrop behind a cup with the laser in the middle. They point the laser at a ball six feet away. The fitter then attaches a small mirror to the face of your putter and tells you to set up aiming at the hole. He then removes the ball and sees where the laser reflects on the backdrop. He does this 3 or so times to see if the alignment is consistent. We found that I tend to aim my current putter slightly to the left. The fitter will then usually build a similar putter with Edel components to confirm that the alignment is the same as your current gamer, which mine was. They will then usually build to opposite putter to see if they can bring your alignment to the other side of the hole. Erik said that I have a "propensity for being able to line up any head shape" because I tend to use the leading edge to line up putts instead of any alignment aids. Unfortunately, this hasn't been translating into less putts on the course lately haha. In terms of heads, hosels, etc, there are 3 million combinations of possible putter setups. Here is a pic of the fitting cart they use:
35ce84dbe26f8632bd5db4285a0f314d.jpg

After a static fitting which determined I should be playing a 34" putter, Erik wasted no time getting me set up into a Columbia head, which is the head which I prefer the look of the most. When he set me up with that head and the same hosel which I've had in my old putter, I was actually lined up even more left than my old putter. He then tried out 0 offset hosel, and knocked the lie down to 68*, which centered me to the hole perfectly every time. Every putter comes with no alignment aids on it in the fitting cart. Once they find a shape that seems consistently aimed well, they then proceed to tweak things like alignment aids. For starters, Erik drew one line behind the middle of the face, just like my current one. I set up with it and I'm lined up left. He erases it and I'm set up square again. On line on the top of the leading edge, and I'm lined up left again. It seems that no alignment aid is what is best. I ask him to try just one dot on top, and it's perfect. I'm lined up square, but the dot just appeals to my eye and helps me know I'm lined up in the center of the face every time. So the clear winner for the alignment setup was a Columbia Head, Zero offset hosel, One alignment dot, 34", 68* lie, and 4* loft:
0a45383fba3cd5b062efcc01278be3e9.jpg
93bbf7d55e78510070883072dbd6e023.jpg
3fac71212acd198257f37cf524c0d218.jpg

I didn't know whether this would fit better in the alignment part or the distance part of the recap, so I thought I would note it separately as it is worth knowing: The grips Edel uses on their putters are round. I did not notice any flat putter grips as they were all what I would consider jumbo sized round grips. They were awkward to use at first, but after a bit of adjustment, I feel like they do help me release the head a bit more. However, I'll play around with it when it gets here and I do have an Iomic Midsize Putter grip lying around should I not like the round grip.

Next, Erik moved onto the distance portion of the fitting. A string about 4 feet long is placed about 15 to 20 feet away, and I am told to hit a putt as close to the line as possible. Ideally, a miss will consistently be long or short. Some short and some long means that the stroke is inconsistent. Erik noticed in my stroke, that I tend to take a small backswing and I accelerate rapidly through the ball, taking a very long follow-through. This makes my distance control very inconsistent and unreliable. After working on this for a couple of minutes, we went back to the distance control test with my more reliable tempo. We settled on a 355 gram head weight and a 40 gram counterweight. This created the best average for me, and I felt really comfortable with it. Erik then hands me the determined setup and has me just putt around for 10 minutes and feel it out hitting different putts. BOOM! 10 footer, 20 footer, 30 footer, 30 footer, all in a row. I'm feeling good now. The ones I do miss rarely stop more than 2 feet from the hole. Here's the weights for anyone wondering.
bb1359009bcd88a2452849eccf53a343.jpg
3bd2e52d60fa15ad11b886b5af13d72a.jpg
42ee30df69b145f4fb7fdf0e577d6cda.jpg

Erik fills out the details on the order form and shows me the different options. We settled on nothing stamped on the face except the dots and "Edel" on the heel. My initials are stamped on the hosel. And the color scheme is blue and white to match the rest of my bag. We also went with the PIXL insert as he highly recommended it. For those who don't know, the PIXL insert is meant to reduce loss of speed on mishits, and after hitting his personal putter, I would say that is certainly does that. The cost of the base is $395, the PIXL insert is $35, and shipping and tax brought the total up to just shy of $475. So this is certainly a large investment. It is not cheap, but figure the money it could potentially save from not switching up putters over the years could possibly be recouped. I suppose we will see.

The entire process took about an hour and a half, and at no point did I feel rushed or shorted of any attention to detail. The putter usually takes about 2-4 weeks to arrive to the buyer (in this case me), and I will waste no time in taking pictures and updating with my thoughts.

Erik was a great guy, and very knowledgeable. He went out of his way to help me with my stroke, find the best putter, and explain everything he was doing throughout the process. It was certainly worthwhile and I fully plan on being fit for a set of wedges in a month or so. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about anything and I'll try to answer them, as I'm sure that there is plenty which I left out. Thanks

Ok, so yesterday, I ventured down the Golf Evolution facility in Erie, PA for an Edel Putter Fitting. A little background on me: I am a two-handicap golfer. I hit the ball pretty consistently. Fairways and greens are the name of the game for me. My wedge game is pretty average. Putting is the worst part of my game. My last round I played 18 and shot 72 with 14 GIR's. Not a single birdie putt was outside of 20 feet, and 8 of them were inside of 10 feet. I only made 3 birdies, one of which was a tap-in. The round before that, I played 9 and shot a 37. I missed: 5 putts inside of 5 feet, 3 of which were inside of 3 feet. My putting is holding me back from going low, and I'm ready for a change. A couple texts later and I have an appointment in Erie.

For reference, my current gamer is a Piretti Cottonwood II Rev 2.0. 34", 70* lie, 2* loft. Superstroke 3.0 Flatso CounterCore Grip with a 50 gram weight in the butt end.

When I got there last night at 5:30, I met with Erik Barzeski, the Edel fitter and an all around great guy. I walked in, and after talking briefly, he had me warm up with my current gamer for about 5 minutes on the indoor green. The green was probably 25x40, and had uphill, downhill, and sidehill putts rolling at a 10 on the stimp. Then once he set up the backdrop and laser for the alignment part of the fitting, he called me over and we got into seeing where I align the ball on a six foot putt. For those who do not know, the way Edel tests for alignment is: they set up a backdrop behind a cup with the laser in the middle. They point the laser at a ball six feet away. The fitter then attaches a small mirror to the face of your putter and tells you to set up aiming at the hole. He then removes the ball and sees where the laser reflects on the backdrop. He does this 3 or so times to see if the alignment is consistent. We found that I tend to aim my current putter slightly to the left. The fitter will then usually build a similar putter with Edel components to confirm that the alignment is the same as your current gamer, which mine was. They will then usually build to opposite putter to see if they can bring your alignment to the other side of the hole. Erik said that I have a "propensity for being able to line up any head shape" because I tend to use the leading edge to line up putts instead of any alignment aids. Unfortunately, this hasn't been translating into less putts on the course lately haha. In terms of heads, hosels, etc, there are 3 million combinations of possible putter setups. Here is a pic of the fitting cart they use:
35ce84dbe26f8632bd5db4285a0f314d.jpg

After a static fitting which determined I should be playing a 34" putter, Erik wasted no time getting me set up into a Columbia head, which is the head which I prefer the look of the most. When he set me up with that head and the same hosel which I've had in my old putter, I was actually lined up even more left than my old putter. He then tried out 0 offset hosel, and knocked the lie down to 68*, which centered me to the hole perfectly every time. Every putter comes with no alignment aids on it in the fitting cart. Once they find a shape that seems consistently aimed well, they then proceed to tweak things like alignment aids. For starters, Erik drew one line behind the middle of the face, just like my current one. I set up with it and I'm lined up left. He erases it and I'm set up square again. On line on the top of the leading edge, and I'm lined up left again. It seems that no alignment aid is what is best. I ask him to try just one dot on top, and it's perfect. I'm lined up square, but the dot just appeals to my eye and helps me know I'm lined up in the center of the face every time. So the clear winner for the alignment setup was a Columbia Head, Zero offset hosel, One alignment dot, 34", 68* lie, and 4* loft:
0a45383fba3cd5b062efcc01278be3e9.jpg
93bbf7d55e78510070883072dbd6e023.jpg
3fac71212acd198257f37cf524c0d218.jpg

I didn't know whether this would fit better in the alignment part or the distance part of the recap, so I thought I would note it separately as it is worth knowing: The grips Edel uses on their putters are round. I did not notice any flat putter grips as they were all what I would consider jumbo sized round grips. They were awkward to use at first, but after a bit of adjustment, I feel like they do help me release the head a bit more. However, I'll play around with it when it gets here and I do have an Iomic Midsize Putter grip lying around should I not like the round grip.

Next, Erik moved onto the distance portion of the fitting. A string about 4 feet long is placed about 15 to 20 feet away, and I am told to hit a putt as close to the line as possible. Ideally, a miss will consistently be long or short. Some short and some long means that the stroke is inconsistent. Erik noticed in my stroke, that I tend to take a small backswing and I accelerate rapidly through the ball, taking a very long follow-through. This makes my distance control very inconsistent and unreliable. After working on this for a couple of minutes, we went back to the distance control test with my more reliable tempo. We settled on a 355 gram head weight and a 40 gram counterweight. This created the best average for me, and I felt really comfortable with it. Erik then hands me the determined setup and has me just putt around for 10 minutes and feel it out hitting different putts. BOOM! 10 footer, 20 footer, 30 footer, 30 footer, all in a row. I'm feeling good now. The ones I do miss rarely stop more than 2 feet from the hole. Here's the weights for anyone wondering.
bb1359009bcd88a2452849eccf53a343.jpg
3bd2e52d60fa15ad11b886b5af13d72a.jpg
42ee30df69b145f4fb7fdf0e577d6cda.jpg

Erik fills out the details on the order form and shows me the different options. We settled on nothing stamped on the face except the dots and "Edel" on the heel. My initials are stamped on the hosel. And the color scheme is blue and white to match the rest of my bag. We also went with the PIXL insert as he highly recommended it. For those who don't know, the PIXL insert is meant to reduce loss of speed on mishits, and after hitting his personal putter, I would say that is certainly does that. The cost of the base is $395, the PIXL insert is $35, and shipping and tax brought the total up to just shy of $475. So this is certainly a large investment. It is not cheap, but figure the money it could potentially save from not switching up putters over the years could possibly be recouped. I suppose we will see.

The entire process took about an hour and a half, and at no point did I feel rushed or shorted of any attention to detail. The putter usually takes about 2-4 weeks to arrive to the buyer (in this case me), and I will waste no time in taking pictures and updating with my thoughts.

Erik was a great guy, and very knowledgeable. He went out of his way to help me with my stroke, find the best putter, and explain everything he was doing throughout the process. It was certainly worthwhile and I fully plan on being fit for a set of wedges in a month or so. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about anything and I'll try to answer them, as I'm sure that there is plenty which I left out. Thanks
Great write up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good writeup and thanks for documenting. We tried different alignment lines/dots and I was surprised how they effected my alignment ... I ended up with one line on top ... additional lines or moving the lines down caused me to misalign the putter.

Awesome write-up and info, TMAdidas. That sounds like a really cool process and worthwhile investment. I hope it works out really well for you, and you're scratch in no time!

Great write up! Was the fitting included with the purchase of the putter of was it a separate cost?

Great write up! Was the fitting included with the purchase of the putter of was it a separate cost?

The fitting was $70, but that was deducted if they putter was purchased, which it was.

Nice! It sounds like it's definitely worth it and your fitter knew what he was doing. Are you going back to him for wedges?
The fitting was $70, but that was deducted if they putter was purchased, which it was.

Nice! It sounds like it's definitely worth it and your fitter knew what he was doing. Are you going back to him for wedges?

I definitely plan on it. Erik was great

Did they have the torque balanced line or just the classic Edel putters?

Great write up! Really informative. I have been thinking about a putter fitting a lot and this kind of shows me I need to do it. Can't wait till u get it in your hands!

Did they have the torque balanced line or just the classic Edel putters?

Only the classic.

The wait is killing me and it hasn't even been a week and a half.

Edel Putters Thread

Just got the email that this finally shipped. Scheduled delivery is Friday.

Last edited:
Scheduled delivery was wrong... hopefully tomorrow

Back