Drivers - Biggest and Best - Your thoughts?

Gracias! I hope they wow me.

Gracias! I hope they wow me.

I'm sure they will. You are a better, more consistent ball striker than I am.

That is not true at all!

of course it is. but now we are way off topic.
You hit a driver bigger and better too

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. Someone? Anyone?

I'm setting an awful example and i apologize. Back at it lads.

all you need to do is scroll up and check out the vid of me crushing Long Tom. That's what this thread is about. haha

What ever you buy, I would avoid going down the dark path of long driver shafts. I was in Burner 2.0 46.5" driver hell for a while, going between massive drives and equally massive cuts and hooks. I would try a Ping G20, which I recently bought and loved. I had a Titleist 910D2 which I adjusted to 12' but I didn't like the ball flight I was getting. With the Ping, which has a 45.75" shaft, I control it much more and the face is really springy and forgiving - I love it!!! I have a 12' driver, I have swing speed in the high 80s, low 90s, so I end up with ball speed in the 110 to 130 area. If this is you, then I would consider getting a 12' driver. Read the following, put out by Titleist:

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...ls-line-for-moderate-swing-speed-players.aspx

They have found that for slightly slower swing speeds a 12' driver is optimal, anything more than that you begin to lose benefit of extra loft. One thing I like about the 12' driver is that it makes a 4-wood fit perfectly. I run a 12' driver, 16.5' 4-wood, and a 21' 7-wood. Ping makes all three and does not play games with loft/length like TM does with the RBZ. Check out the fairway wood specs on the RBZ, Razr X Black, and Ping G20 - you'll see that Ping is in the middle in terms of loft/length. PLUS, they are fairly priced, even though the G20 driver is not adjustable, but it's LONG LONG LONG for $299, I think it's Ping Pure!!!!

My buddy planted a seed (rationalization maybe) in my mind last year that I've kind of adopted. His logic is that the margin for error with a driver is actually superior to a 3 wood these days due to much, much larger face, MOI, blah, blah, blah.

That logic coupled with some study I saw somewhere showing the average deviation from target line for driver and 3 wood being almost identical, sold me on sticking with driver most of the time.

I kind of felt like the old adage of using 3 wood over driver for accuracy may no longer be true, or as true as it used to be with today's high tech drivers.

BUT (in caps) I have never been able to find the level of comfort lots of other guys find with their 3 woods compared to driver. I know lots of others feel incredibly safe with their 3 wood vs driver. I thought he makes a compelling case though and it was worth adding to the thread.

Well I actually did the challenge as you can see from the comments to the wedge guys article. As a high handicap player that does not lose many balls off the tee (I did lose one during the round in question which is uncommon for me). I am short and straight and the one ball that I theoretically lost in a yard I hit as far as I could and knew that I could not hit it OB straight. If I knew I could hit the ball 15 yards further I would not have tried that line. For me it was extremely helpful mostly because I have this inability to hit my 6 and sometimes 7 irons consistently. For me on most holes (I only did it one the par 4's) I had between 155-165 to the flag. Let's say I had 160, for me that is a soft 6 iron(165 normal 6 for me this day). Now if I walk up the 15 yards and lets assume that it got me exactly 15 yards closer to the pin I am now at 145, normal 8 for me. I love my 8 iron, favorite club in the bag. Feel more comfortable with it then any club in the bad, except hitting a fairway with my driver. So this made my round much more enjoyable.

But in all truth this only made me a little better. In order to really lower my score I need to be able to chip the ball. I never got up and down and only twice on the par 5's did I get up and down plus one. It took me on all other holes at least 4 shots from with 50 yards of the cup. So good driver, slight below average iron player and terrible short game equals very high scores.

It's about RoswellJ posting interesting physics that I need to read. Instead of that I now have to finish the rest of this thread first because everyone's insanity is amusing.

Longer length drivers are naff. Though I also have a theory that a lot of people use too big of a grip on their driver. You see a lot of people either close the face too soon by reefing on their release or too late because it's too long. Suddenly one grips down a couple of inches and it's bullets all day. Part of that is the length is easier control and part of it, IMO is the the grip is much thinner so once doesn't have to release as much to get a more pronouced effect on the club face. It's like double winning.

I think I've going to get Ping to shorten my driver and go with a smaller grip to test it out.

I know from my driver issues last year that I was desperate to get 15 yards. I don't really buy the whole longer is less accurate thing either. If the shaft/head combo fits you, it's the swing you put on it that determines how far you go into the woods. I think '15 yards further in the woods' is a flawed argument. I had no problem burying myself in trees when I was struggling to get 200 yards of carry.

Agreed, I tested out the 2.0 driver for a whole month recently and took a couple of range sessions to get used to the 46.5 length, on the course I came to trust that it would hold the line and not get me in trouble, I became comfortable with the length and knowing I could rip at it without trouble, on the other hand with drivers at around 45 I have to keep them smooth or I'll have a tendency to end up left, the only drawback to the 2.0 was feel, It didn't have any.

I am not someone that hits in the upper 200s so yeah, when I get lucky and hit that 250-260 drive I feel more confident hitting that shorter iron second shot, 15 more yards would get me around 230-235 average yards leaving me with my favorite iron 7.

Back