Driver fitting with unexpected results

cjroman

Club Hoing Ain't Easy
Reaction score
Handicap
Feelings
Had a driver fitting yesterday and hit the Cobra Darkspeed X, Darkspeed LS, Aerojet, Titleist TSR2, TSR3, Srixon ZX5mkII LS and ZX7mkII...and the winner was a Cobra LTDx with the HRZDUS Smoke Blue.
The two year old offering beat out the "current" stuff by 10 yards with better deviation on spin and launch. Averaged 14 launch angle and 2350 spin with the LTDx.
I really liked the way the TSR2 felt and sounded, but the LTDx had it by 7 yards carry and roll...the LTDx was $249 on closeout and the fitter knocked $30 off the price for some minor "shop wear" even though the sticker was still on the face.
Needless to say I was a bit surprised by the results. Anyone else come out with something a couple of model years old as the best option?

Always like surprises that save cash and provide better results.

That’s awesome and adds to the “get fit” narrative. I’m more surprised the fitter even included it in the fitting

Hit whatever works best for you, even a couple years old but brand new is great

Unexpected results but hopefully good for you going forward. Positive so far given the increased numbers and the cost for the driver.

Perfect example of “get fit”.

LTDx is a great driver! I’ve got one in my bag and love it.

@cjroman - have you been fit to a counterbalanced shaft before?

LTDx is a great driver! I’ve got one in my bag and love it.

@cjroman - have you been fit to a counterbalanced shaft before?
First time for anything counterbalanced.

That’s awesome and adds to the “get fit” narrative. I’m more surprised the fitter even included it in the fitting
I told him I've had good results in the past with Cobra drivers and wanted to try it. I really respected the fact he didn't push anything. I was leaning towards the TSR2 for a moment and he pointed out the LTDx was overall better, with not only my two longest of the session, but with launch and spin about ideal. He even said, "If you're going to buy a driver today, the LTDx is the one you need to purchase".

LTDx is a great driver. Its funny as my fitting last year in January it came down to TSR2 and LTDx as well and with that exact same hzrdus rdx blue shaft. TSR was a bit better for me and have since switched shafts

Needless to say I was a bit surprised by the results. Anyone else come out with something a couple of model years old as the best option?

Yes - this happened to me with a Titleist Driver TSR and my older TSi -- even with the same exact shaft -- My TSi is the better driver for me.

Not at all surprised the LTDx was a winner, it’s a cannon.

Was there a reason you stuck with only those particular brands and not some of the other ones out there as well?

Funny, because @jdtox and I were talking about how good the LTDx driver was yesterday.

Not at all surprised the LTDx was a winner, it’s a cannon.

Was there a reason you stuck with only those particular brands and not some of the other ones out there as well?
No particular reason. I have played both Cobra and Titleist drivers over the last 10 years and have always found something to work. I hit Ping and Mizuno last month with nothing standing out.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I see it as just the opposite. Rather than a “fitting”, this sounds like more of a “hit everything in stock, and take home what worked best”…that day. How are we accounting for shaft length and swing weight, kick point and all the other things the experts are wanting us to worry about?

Of course, if it works, that’s good. But I just think the whole “get fit” thing is overrated (and misrepresented) in this sort of scenario.

You can never have it all. But best distance by 10 yards and low price sounds like a winning combination!

Last fall my driver went kaput and while I was waiting for my new one to come in I used my son's old 16 year old driver. I was surprised to find that there was less than a 10 yard difference between it and the newest drivers.

I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this, but I see it as just the opposite. Rather than a “fitting”, this sounds like more of a “hit everything in stock, and take home what worked best”…that day. How are we accounting for shaft length and swing weight, kick point and all the other things the experts are wanting us to worry about?

Of course, if it works, that’s good. But I just think the whole “get fit” thing is overrated (and misrepresented) in this sort of scenario.
Isn't the result of every fitting taking home (or ordering) what worked best that day?
For the record, "Everything in stock" wasn't hit. I went in with a narrowed list of preferences. I focused on those brands/models that day from previous experience and hitting other offerings from other OEM at some demo days earlier in the year. Numerous shafts were tried, including some upcharge in the Titleist models. I can usually tell in a few swings if a setup is going to work or not. I'm solidly a Mid launch/Low spin shaft liker. We discussed preferred playing length and swingweight. Not going to "flame" you, but there is that old saying about assuming...

Not surprised. The LTDx line was underrated. They have limited supply and higher than expected resale prices on eBay. That’s a sure sign of good model.

Isn't the result of every fitting taking home (or ordering) what worked best that day?
For the record, "Everything in stock" wasn't hit. I went in with a narrowed list of preferences. I focused on those brands/models that day from previous experience and hitting other offerings from other OEM at some demo days earlier in the year. Numerous shafts were tried, including some upcharge in the Titleist models. I can usually tell in a few swings if a setup is going to work or not. I'm solidly a Mid launch/Low spin shaft liker. We discussed preferred playing length and swingweight. Not going to "flame" you, but there is that old saying about assuming...
Wow, that last comment was unnecessarily personal, especially since my post was not directed at you at all, but rather it was a general observation about the whole “get fit” mantra that so many cling to.

Wow, that last comment was unnecessarily personal, especially since my post was not directed at you at all, but rather it was a general observation about the whole “get fit” mantra that so many cling to.
It appeared to me your comment took some rather large assumptions with what I did or didn't do. You appeared to know you were stirring the pot with your preface of "I'm sure I'll get flamed for this".
If not meant as personal or directed at me, then why point out the particulars of the scenario as not meeting what you consider "getting fit" instead of commenting on the question the OP asked?
The point of the post was to ask if anyone else has had better success with an couple of years older offering instead of the current years, going head to head. Even the TSR line is a 2022/2023 release, due to Titleist having pretty rigid release cycles.
It's not like I went into the shop, grabbed a random driver off the rack, gave it a couple of waggles and said, "That will work" and called it a "fitting".
Like a lot of us here, I hit a lot of different clubs. Like a lot of us here, I know what works best for me in pretty specific terms. I had already eliminated several options from previous demos earlier in the year.
Was it more of a "walk in" type fitting vice a Club Champion like fitting? Sure it was. Until that day, I hadn't hit the LTD or Aerojet driver line from Cobra, as when they were released, I wasn't in the market for a driver.

Again, I ask you, isn't every fitting buying what works best, that day?

Back