Pj0146

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am looking for a recommendation for how to delay my upper body from starting the downswing and rather focus on generating my downswing from my lower body. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Step 1: make sure your setup is right.
Step 2: make sure your takeaway is on plane
Step 3: make sure your back swing is correct

It's amazing how easy the down swing is when the other stuff is right. But with that said, start down with your left hip moving back or lead with your hands. Maybe both.

Good Morning,

I am looking for a recommendation for how to delay my upper body from starting the downswing and rather focus on generating my downswing from my lower body. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

If you are right handed, get on left foot, pressure it to the left, and start opening your left hip hard just prior to the top of the swing.

If you are right handed, get on left foot, pressure it to the left, and start opening your left hip hard just prior to the top of the swing.
So I would be on one foot to prevent from sliding correct?

Good Morning,

Is the club going outside when starting the upper?

Try this guys YT channel

So I would be on one foot to prevent from sliding correct?

You are on both feet, but the left foot will have a lot more weight on it.

Someone posted Porzak Golf below - Adam Porzak is good. The only one I subscribe too. See those vids.

Pete Cowen is also good for loading the shoulders. The last half of this video is very good. The first part is good when talking about the pressure of your hands on the grip

Step change drill.

Good Morning,

I quite like the concept Abe Mitchell described in his 1930s publication "Down to Scratch" of bracing the left shoulder with the right hip during the swing. The right shoulder and left hip don't move very much during the backswing as does the knees. During transition the left shoulder/right hip brace holds its backswing position while with the left hip rotates away from the target and the right shoulder drop down and back towards the right hip.
It is a very uncomfortable position when learning but it gets much easier over time.
The above is what it feels like. How to do it is one of golf's secrets.

All kinds of possible solutions. Many years ago, I came across this- JUST before you get to the top of your backswing, flick your left knee toward the target. It might have been around the time that the "X-Factor" was a thing. (Not the show, but creating as much coil as possible) Creates that tension like a spring, and use it to create clubhead speed... or something.

What I found is that it is easier to bring to the course, rather than using, say, the idea of holding your left heel (right hander) off the ground and then planting the heel at the top to 'get things going'. The X-factor thingee can be done at the range and while playing once you get used to it.

Vertical drop, horizontal tug.....

Step change drill.

I have also seen vids of this drill titled something like "the baseball drill". And it's true that if you just turn your hips from the top, you will end up OTT! What he left out was that the targetward step of the left foot gives your hips that little "lateral slide" toward the target that allows you to "drop the club into the slot", or "stay on plane", or whatever phrase you like to use to describe that motion.

Way back in the day I played a lot of golf with a friend who couldn't hit Driver to save his life, but could flat kill a 3 wood! When he did my standard response was, "Wow! You really got your big, fat left ass cheek into that one!" To distill all the myriad of instruction out there into it's simplest form, that is exactly what I would say. Get your left ass cheek into the shot!

Back