Does the USA NEED to win the 2016 Ryder Cup?

Agent Jay

Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Is this as "Must Win" for the USA? Yes, no, how so? Does Captain Love have the team to win this time around?

I think any time the event is held on US soil is a must win for this group. There's nothing worse than getting out-passioned by the European squad and frankly, I think we've seen far too much of that lately.

Agree with Dan, we can't be losing when at home. If we lose, it'll be 10 years since our last win when it's played again. That's just too freakin long.

I kinda think so. We have been getting pummeled on both US and EU soil lately, when on paper we are always the favorite.

I don't think it's a must, but it is starting to get a little one sided. That said, on home soil, I'd put the US as marginal favorites this year.

Yeah I'm in the 'must win' stable seeing how it's in the US. A thrashing by the Euros would be embarrassing, IMO.

Obviously I will not be rooting for the USA team :D

But I do think this year is one of the best chances you have had to take the win, with half of the European squad being rookies, it could come down to how well they handle the pressure of their first Ryder Cup experience
Having said that, I think the European team has a good blend of youth and experience, and if they win again it could be the beginning of the next generation to shine in the event for the next few years

Regardless, I will be watching it and we have both taken the Monday off work so that we can watch it to the end seeing as it will be the early hours of the morning here

I think it is a must win, they have a good solid team, they just need to mesh together and see the goal.

Yes, it's getting fairly lopsided.

I think this is the year. US Golf is strong and if they all click this could be a run away.

I think we should be favored and I think we should win it. Will I go crazy if we do not win. Nope. I love the matches and the drama makes for sports as it should be. I want the USA to win but it's not like we are matched up against the evil empire.

I don't think of it as a must-win like I do in other team sports. This is a team that gets together for an event, not an entire season, so win or lose, it's over until the next one, years from this one. In regular team sports, it's a different atmosphere.

I want us to win every time, but if not, well it sucks but golf goes on as an individual sport just like it does if they would have won.

maybe i don't understand what "must win" means. like, must win or the event goes away? if so, the us won the rc 7 times in a row from 1935 to 1955 (not played from 1938-1946 due to wwii), and the event still survived. from 1959 to 1983, the us won 12 out of 13 events, halving once, and the event survived. so if that's the concern, no i don't think this is a must-win at all.

is it a must win from a talent/experience standpoint? maybe. but the rc brings out the best in some and the worst in others. i'll be disappointed if we don't win, but won't be surprised.

I think it is. It's on home soil, Euros are comings with several rookies and some aging vets. It's been awhile since the US has won and they need to get this one before it becomes a case like the Prez Cup where one side is just too dominant

maybe i don't understand what "must win" means. like, must win or the event goes away? if so, the us won the rc 7 times in a row from 1935 to 1955 (not played from 1938-1946 due to wwii), and the event still survived. from 1959 to 1983, the us won 12 out of 13 events, halving once, and the event survived. so if that's the concern, no i don't think this is a must-win at all.

is it a must win from a talent/experience standpoint? maybe. but the rc brings out the best in some and the worst in others. i'll be disappointed if we don't win, but won't be surprised.

Not so much a "must win" from the standpoint that the entire Ryder Cup will cease to exist. But, yes, a "must win" in a way to we've been on the wrong side of things to often as of late, and the naysayers are out in full force with different opinions on the US Team.

Yes. Love needs to bring in Kurt Russell to do the motivational speech:

Yes, I think so. Because we've been getting our asses kicked for so long and because the Euro's have a roster of RC rookies. If we can't do it this year with a veteran squad on our own turf when will we realistically expect to win again?

No, but that's how it will likely be billed. The event will continue on and continue to be very popular with golf fans either way.

I don't think it's a must win, but I would like to see some of that passion and American pride again. After the Olympic bail-outs, I think some of the American squad have an opportunity to show us how passionate they can be.

I sure hope they win so I don't have to listen to the talking heads analyze why we lost and what needs to change for the next two years!!

I think the USA needs to Win to break the Europeans streak thats for sure. So Not quite sure why it would be a must win, its not like if they lose the USA is out of the ryder cup forever or loses anything really.

But winning would be awesome for them!

I'll be the contrarian. Ryder Cup losses generate more long-term buzz for golf than anything short of Tiger Woods return speculation. The Yanks losing will provide a go-to golf article for two years, and provides endless speculation on who should be the Captain, who should be on the team, is Tiger really a good vice-captain, is the Task Force really working, is this year the must-win, do the Americans really care about growing the game even though Rory already said he doesn't care about growing the game, does the Ryder Cup actually grow the game, should the US get access to some other country the way the Euros expanded, it's a shame that the world #1 can't participate, and on and on and on.

If the US wins this year, they'll have won a year they're expected to win. That's boring. Unless they make it exciting or blow out the Euros, Yanks win is kind of dull, IMO.

A must win... No. This isn't a typical team game with a season and a single game can't effect things. I hope they win but I don't believe Love should have been given another chance.

Im rooting for USA but would be ok if they lose.....as long as they show some heart and play hard. If the efforts appear to be half-assed many of us won't be happy. But if they come out firing and play their hearts out and lose the fans will appreciate it.

Must win? Not really, they do not kill the players for mistakes ( unless you play for the Columbian soccer team). If they did I would say must win...lol

Need the win for the civic pride factor, for sure...USA...USA...USA

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back