Does Rick Shiels Move The Needle?

I'll watch mostly as a diversion in winter, when I can't play. I've stopped trying to improve my golf by listening to the online stuff. Actually, enjoy guys with far fewer viewers, like Mistah Short Hitter and Golf Ball Addict, just for kicks..

3M is a lot but in the real world no one has ever mentioned him to me

Still, 3M is a lot....so I'm saying...maybe?

Move my needle? No. He is the #1 YT for golf so it's not a shock he gets views.
I do like his videos tho.

I was shocked when I found out how much he is worth tho.
YT must pay well!
IMG_2392.jpeg

Not the first time he's like Wilson irons. Also, wasn't he one of the judges for the second year of Driver V Driver.

3m subs is a lot. He's making a fantastic living with those numbers.

So I'd say yes he definitely matter. He's doing something right.

Shiels has entertaining content with well named pros, but does not inluence my golf equipment purchases at all. To be fair, nobody really no pro, influencer, celebrity, etc influences my golf equipment purchases.

Shiels has entertaining content with well named pros, but does not inluence my golf equipment purchases at all. To be fair, nobody really no pro, influencer, celebrity, etc influences my golf equipment purchases.
...present company excepted of course! ;)

He moves the needle for a lot of people evidently, but no me personally. I've watched his stuff, but some of it just too much.

In the case of Wilson Rick's review and comments might cause someone to give it a try. Wilson's had issues getting placement in-store and getting people to try. Perhaps if ithey are ok for Shiels then others will give it a go.

I hardly watch any of Shiels content anymore and am kind of shocked at the size of his channel, but with that kind of following, he has to move the needle.

I don't watch Youtube golf in general, but advertisers aren't giving Rick money out of the goodness of their hearts. People are definitely listening to him.

for me personally, no. i cant stand him or his reviews

but hes the biggest youtube golfer so i would say yes as a whole he moves the needle

I think his opinions are rubbish most times but he is the godfather of youtube golf. All of these other channels are inspired by him and that in itself can be considered moving the needle.

I used to watch Shiels when I started playing. Haven't watched any content from him for a few years now.
Same. The few things I've seen recently didn't move my needle at all. When he and Finch were doing instructional stuff, it was fairly decent. But that was years ago at this point. I'm sure he moves the needle for a lot of folks based on his numbers, but it's not for me. Then again, very little YT golf stuff aside from golf vlogs does it for me.

I get my information from this site and in person fittings/demos. I admit that youtube, most other "social" media, and influencers drive a negative perception in me, so yes generally speaking I guess that would move the needle. I have no idea who this Rick guy is (sorry already forgot how to spell his last name). I tried to watch the barstool guys once on a course I used to play regularly. They were so annoying I couldn't finish the front nine.

I would say he definitely has impact on the golfing community - or, his numbers wouldn’t be what they are. I don’t watch him as much any more… but, I do find him entertaining. There have been times (when I was pondering a club) that I checked him out to see what he had to say about it.

Can we stop with Shields. It’s Shiels.
No D in there

Same thing always drove me crazy when I was big into auto racing. It’s Rick Hendrick not Hendricks.

I think he does move the needle. I like his reviews. He is thorough and is not afraid to say something is not better cause it’s newer or has more bells and whistles.

He probably does, some. I used to watch him and Crossfield all the time. For some reason, I don’t watch Shiels anymore. Haven’t for a couple years. I don’t know why 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like his stuff, but I don’t seek it out. I tend to be looking for something specific when watching YouTube. If I’m going to Pinehurst in a few weeks, I’ll watch videos of whatever course I’m playing regardless of who created the content.

Shiels, Crossfield, and Ian Fraser are all 80's shooters who talk a good game. It's fine that they have a clever patter for videos and make a high income for themselves, but none of them are especially good players or knowledgeable about the game, so it is a bit of a shame that consumers are taking golf equipment advice from them.
For equipment recommendations or swing technique help I recommend consumers talk to their local Class A PGA professional.

I do watch some of his break 75 content etc. I wouldnt necessarily buy a club based on his reviews. I think he should have to game those gaudy hybrid irons he just reviewed for a year, he did par the back at whatever course he was playing with them.

For club reviews lately Ive been paying attention to Lets Play Thru. His reviews seem to be pretty straight forward, he also gave Wilson irons a pretty high mark when he reviewed them.

Back