Do Your Swing Weights Match?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m building a set tomorrow and I am not a big swing weight guy, as long as they match or are close.

I checked my current bag and most were with in a point of each other, so I want to keep that.

Do you know if yours match?

Irons all match, then woods/hybrids all match. Wedges are all usually the heaviest SW’s in my bag but also match.

Yes, but given that my clubs are +2-inches, even with light shafts the swing weight is E3, and my wedges are F6.

D2 at the top of my bag irons, progressing down through D3 and then D4 in my wedges. Driver and 3 wood are D3.

Irons yes. Wedges are a few sw points higher than the irons but they match. I found a ±2 points is no noticeable difference.

I really have no idea.

Nope. Mine are half a swing weight heavier as the loft increases.

Irons are matching, mixed woods are all different, but not significantly.

I go with what Mizuno says, which is a bit unusual - 919F - I start at D2, go to D3 at 8i, 9i, PW-D4 (i think)

They’re close enough. Ultimately, I care that I’m comfortable to swing each club and sometimes that means they’re weighted differently.

Last year I went D8 in Driver. D4 in fairways. D3 in Irons and D6 in Wedges.

This year I'm trying something different with D3 through all clubs (Driver maybe the exception)

I haven’t had my current set checked. But plan on doing so. My last set was all over the place the fitter was in shock and awe how bad they were

I have no idea and I’m ok. All I know is when done thing feels overly heavy or light I can tell and my current set feels good to me

They're all relatively close. Irons are ~D4, wedges are D5-D6, Driver is D3, 3wd is D4 or D5, 5wd is around D2 to D3, 4h is around D4, too, I think. No idea what the putter is, but it's significantly lighter total and swingweight than my previous putter.

I know my irons are D2 but I don’t know what my wedges or woods are.

I think they're relatively close at these that was the intent when I bought, but I don't have a scale to confirm and I've not taken to pro shop to confirm....my set of mizunos I have no clue

Woods are D2, irons are D3. Not sure about wedges.

(All according to the build sheets for my clubs - I don't have a swingweight scale.)

Last edited:
Irons are D3, wedges at D4. Driver is at D8 and I need to measure my 5w and hybrid. 5w is pro light and needs to be adjusted.

All my irons match each other at D -2, or so I have been told. My SW took a little work to get it to match up. Not sure how the guy did it.

I've never measured my metalwoods, and I'm not even sure swing weight applies to metalwoods. I assume it does, but I'm not sure. Never bother with them, other than having all the shafts brand, and model matching up.

Something else I was told was the more a club is used, the quicker it's swing weight change. That the wear, and tear on the grip can change the over all weight of the club. As I understand it, it only takes .069 of an ounce to change a club's swing weight by 1 point.

Like most golfers I couldnt tell the difference between a D2, and a D4. Just as long as they all feel good when swinging them. That's good enough for me.

They do not. Driver/woods and wedges are heavier than the rest of the irons by 2-4 points.

Driver - D4
3 wood - D3
Hybrids - D2
4i - 8i - D2
9i - D3
PW/GW - D4
SW/LW - D5

Mine vary; Driver and wedges have a higher swing weight, while my woods, hybrid and irons have a similar, lighter, swing weight.

Irons are D1. Wedges D3.

Driver through 9 iron are the same (D2). Step it up 1 point to D3 for PW and GW then another point for 54 and 58 degree wedges. Putters range from mid B's through mid D'5 depending on what putter grip is on each putter.

Back