Do you use a 3W or something else for your step down from driver?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Interesting conversation with my lesson coach today. He wants me to try a 3W and I’ve never gotten along with them. I currently game a 5W but am thinking of maybe a SuperHybrid?

Do you 3W or use something else as a step down from driver?

I’m currently using a 3w but have been seriously looking at going to a 5w turned down to 16.5.

I rarely have a situation where I’d need a less than driver. The combination of my driver length and the more forgiving aspect of it, I use driver or move down to an iron in most cases to stay short of trouble that I couldn’t carry

16.5°, says 3HL but basically a 4 wood.

My 3W is my backup driver as well as an often used fairway wood. When the driver isn’t going well, it’s my safety net.

Last edited:
With my current bag, I'll either go down to my 3HL fairway wood or a hybrid. The 3HL is 16.5° and I'm playing it at +2°, so it's essentially a 5W with a longer shaft and larger clubhead.

3 wood is almost exclusively a second tee option for me.

No 3w. Senseless club for me to have. Doesn’t go as far as my driver and is probably just as wild off the tee. Can’t hit it off the deck. I think I used my 3w from Srixon event 10-15 times total this year. And it probably would have been half that if I hadn’t been trying to at least give an opinion. Definitely the Indian versus arrow though. Club itself was probably great.

Last edited:
A 3w

Next club down from driver is a 13.5° 300 Mini driver cut to 7W length. Absolutely love it. I only use it off of shorter tees or when precision is at a premium.

LOVE 3W’s, but most would be better off with a 4W.

I go driver, 3W, then UW and UT, all as tee options based on the hole.

I've hit just as many shots with my 4 iron out of the Tee box as driver. Great accuracy and good distance.

My 3W is money hitting into narrow fairways. No good from the rough though. Need to buy a 3h someday

3W is my second tee option, 5 and 7w off the fairways

Right now the step down is my 5W. The 3W is in timeout.

I really like my Epic Flash 3w

This is my only tee shot with it last round It was wet so got zero roll, but it’s usually in play for for with decent distance IMG_2533.jpegIMG_2534.jpeg

5W is my next option, but it’s playing similar to a 4W loft. Almost exclusively a second tee option, as I’m not in the yardage range to hit it off the deck very often at the tees I play.

13.5 BRNR mini driver
16.5 4w at 17.25
21 7w

I had a long stretch where I played my strong 3W off the tee. It got to the point where my driver was nearly as accurate and the extra distance was worth the risk. I am contemplating no 3w in the bag next year and play more like a 4W type loft in fairway/UW/hybrid

Back