Do You Recline on a Domestic Flight?

There's definitely a strong opinion coming from both sides.

I agree. This really should have been a poll. Can it still be added?

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, I heard a report on the radio today that there was a survey done on this issue and something like 37% were in the "should not recline" camp and 43% were in the "let them recline and suck it up" camp. So, at least without official numbers, it seems THP is a good microcosm of the population in general.

Oh, but he's very, very much aligned with others.
There are clearly two groups here- the minority are the selfish ones, ie the recliners, and the majority are the ones who are considerate of others, ie those who don’t recline if someone is behind them.

There are clearly two groups here- the minority are the selfish ones, ie the recliners, and the majority are the ones who are considerate of others, ie those who don’t recline if someone is behind them.

When did the ones who are anti recline the majority here???
You are something else

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Interesting that you believe your opinion is the only correct option. As was already mentioned there was a survey done (outside of THP, of course) which can be found here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/airplane-etiquette-recline-seat/

The title says it all: 41 Percent Of Fliers Think You’re Rude If You Recline Your Seat
Here's an excerpt:
"Let’s first tackle the question of reclining seats. Of 858 respondents, 16 percent always recline, 20 percent usually do, 14 percent recline about half the time, 30 percent do only once in a while, and 20 percent never recline.
This is a remarkably even split. Half of respondents recline half the time or more, half of respondents do it once in a while or never. So, we’re at a bit of an impasse here. Only 41 percent of respondents thought it was very or somewhat rude to recline your seat during a flight.
Most people (70 percent) said they would not eliminate the option to recline seats on flights. But most people (64 percent) also said passengers should not recline if the flier behind them asks them not to. The rest of them said a passenger has no obligation to the person behind them."

When did the ones who are anti recline the majority here???
You are something else

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Hey, if he said it, it must be true.

Nothing wrong with that being your opinion, but it's pretty clearly not aligned with others (which they are right to believe as well).

That's why I'll never recline my seat on a plane - because I know how negatively it impacts me when someone does it to me. I see it as being considerate to others and I don't think it has anything to do with how much money I paid for my seat, or how much they paid for theirs.
common courtesy is a trait that is lost on many these days

Yes I am very well known for not being courteous lmao

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

that's my big hangup, but I respect that others don't feel the same way.

We're all from different backgrounds. I get that. I don't get that it's not common courtesy, but that's fine.

Nothing wrong with that being your opinion, but it's pretty clearly not aligned with others (which they are right to believe as well).

That's why I'll never recline my seat on a plane - because I know how negatively it impacts me when someone does it to me. I see it as being considerate to others and I don't think it has anything to do with how much money I paid for my seat, or how much they paid for theirs.

Dan you skimmed a little Earlier I said when I fly in coach I don’t recline, my only point here is people chastising people who use the incline feature shocks me

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Dan you skimmed a little Earlier I said when I fly in coach I don’t recline, my only point here is people chastising people who use the incline feature shocks me
Yeah, I had a flight and an evening of awesome with little man before sneaking back onto THP. This thread blew up haha

Yeah, I had a flight and an evening of awesome with little man before sneaking back onto THP. This thread blew up haha

Good times with the little man are what really matters

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Interesting that you believe your opinion is the only correct option. As was already mentioned there was a survey done (outside of THP, of course) which can be found here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/airplane-etiquette-recline-seat/

The title says it all: 41 Percent Of Fliers Think You’re Rude If You Recline Your Seat
Here's an excerpt:
"Let’s first tackle the question of reclining seats. Of 858 respondents, 16 percent always recline, 20 percent usually do, 14 percent recline about half the time, 30 percent do only once in a while, and 20 percent never recline.
This is a remarkably even split. Half of respondents recline half the time or more, half of respondents do it once in a while or never. So, we’re at a bit of an impasse here. Only 41 percent of respondents thought it was very or somewhat rude to recline your seat during a flight.
Most people (70 percent) said they would not eliminate the option to recline seats on flights. But most people (64 percent) also said passengers should not recline if the flier behind them asks them not to. The rest of them said a passenger has no obligation to the person behind them."
The key quote: “But most people (64 percent) also said passengers should not recline if the flier behind them asks them not to.”

“Delta boss Ed Bastian has weighed in on proper airline decorum after a controversial viral video showed a male passenger punching a woman’s seat on an American Eagle flight after she reclined it.

Bastian, appearing on CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” was asked if it was appropriate for a passenger to ask the person in front of them not to recline.

“I think customers have the right to recline,” Bastian said. “I think the proper thing to do is if you’re going to recline into somebody that you ask if it’s okay first ...”

I will be boarding a plane in about 30 minutes. Now all I keep thinking is, will the person in front of me recline? I know I won't, but like I said in an earlier post, I never do.

Safe travels. Arrow and I will be here.

I only know you from what you are posting here. IMO your view on this is quite discourteous.

No it’s not. The fact I believe (forget the fact I do not do it) if people want to use the small recline the airline lets the seats recline does not make said person rude, does not make me discourteous.

This is almost a t*t for tat deal. Tall person is basically don’t bug me I don’t care if your body hurts sitting straight up.

Small person says I don’t care about your knees I want the relief the airline gives me.

Neither party can be defined as rude, now BOTH parties could be defined as selfish!

I will stand by my original statement if you are that concerned with the recline then pay for an upgraded seat and problem is solved.

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

No it’s not. The fact I believe (forget the fact I do not do it) if people want to use the small recline the airline lets the seats recline does not make said person rude, does not make me discourteous.

This is almost a t*t for tat deal. Tall person is basically don’t bug me I don’t care if your body hurts sitting straight up.

Small person says I don’t care about your knees I want the relief the airline gives me.

Neither party can be defined as rude, now BOTH parties could be defined as selfish!

I will stand by my original statement if you are that concerned with the recline then pay for an upgraded seat and problem is solved.

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Actually you should be charged to recline: https://nypost.com/2017/05/19/should-you-have-to-pay-to-recline-your-airplane-seat/

My 2 cents: the ability of a seat to recline does not excuse the responsibility from the person in the seat to not be an ass about it.

I had someone recline their seat quick and hard on my son who had just put the tray down and had a soda from the attendant. The cart was literally right next to this guys head and didn't even think to look behind him before doing it. Ended up spilling all over the tray. The attendant ended up talking to the guy about it.

With that being said, I rarely recline. If nobody is seated behind me I'll do it more often. But I always look back and make sure it's ok first.

If we are going for facts, the NY Post might not be the best source. :p:p:p

Back