Do you forward press putter/chipping clubs?

No for putting. When I started putting x-handed it went away.

Chipping isn’t a press, though the clubhead stays behind my hands.

This. For chipping, I tend to keep my weight over my target side foot with a narrow stance.

I've added a Little forward press to my putting stroke lately and it Works great for me.

Envoyé de mon moto g stylus en utilisant Tapatalk

Chipping depends on the shot. Putting I did it for about 8 years. I recently stopped after getting my Toulon because I found my contact was much more consistent when I stopped

Great responses
I rethink this and though my “regular” putting and chipping stroke is neutral and no forward press
There are occasions when hands forward /shaft lean might be off benefit

Yes, to start Putter in motion so I have face bent. As for Wedges I don't have a choice with Glides, soon as I open face the leading edge rises so my hands have to lead Clubface when I open it or else Thincity.

Putting, no. Chipping/pitching will vary from none to a good bit dependent on shot requirements. Most of the time, I'm more inclined to grab a different club than to monkey with forward press degrees.

Putting yes. Chipping is completely dependent on the shot I'm trying to hit.

Starting to do a little bit of forward press on downhill putts/chips. Forward press as an extension of my forearm when chipping

Yes putting. No chipping

Yes and yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call it a forward press, but I take the loft off of my putter.
I get better roll that way. If I use loft, the ball bounces.
Chipping, depends on shot.

I find that forward press on putts helps prevent me from releasing the wrists during the putt to "hit" the ball. Might be because I use the claw grip though where it's a little harder to generate power.

For whatever reason, I'm a lot more consistent forward pressing chips also but I'm experimenting here.

I unknowingly did on putts until I did a putter fitting. then the fitter told me I was delofting the putter too much. Now I don't and my putts roll better, and not always short.

I gotten rid of older style chipping where ball played off back foot , extreme forward , hit top of the ball. Doesn’t work for all chips around the green and very prone to chili dip. Either excellent chip or poor one
With modern chipping style ball middle of stance and little shaft lean or no shaft lean can hit a fraction fat or thin and still get good results

Last edited:
I have started putting a little forward press in when putting and seeing good results

I’ve messed around with the forward press for putting but didn’t stick with it. I didn’t see a big benefit to doing it.

Developing no shaft lean for standard putting and chipping
If I am above the hole or need a softer method for breaking putts/chips. Will conscious or subconscious have foreword shaft lean with handle forward. I might not be thinking forward press but I do like to set my hands slightly in front of the ball for putting

Not aware of any with putter although there might be an almost unmeasurable amount from somewhere used as a momentum starter. Chipping, at times I will, depending on how fast the ball needs to track and/or climb, but even then, very little.

Yes with both. Forward press to start my Back stroke on Putter (have Face bent for even roll.
Forward press amount changes depending on Turf or Shot.

100% forward press for putting and chipping. Also on approach shots. Only club I try to hit up on is Driver.

Back