Do You Care Which Tees You Play?

Depending on the course, I'd be ok moving up or back 1 tee box as it would give me looks I normally would not see.

Say you pair up with others (friends or strangers) and they want to play different tees than you usually play. A guy in your regular group is dealing with a cranky back and wants to play the forward tees today, or you're a single and you get paired with a group who plays further up or back than you usually do - do you move up/back with them, or do you stick to your usual tee boxes no matter what? Does it matter to you to change it up for one round?
To me, there is no issue at all with players within a foursome to play different tee boxes. The men and women do it all the time. That being said, I will move up once in a while from blues to whites, but I would not want to move up further. I definitely would not want to play back a set of tee boxes, if it would make the course too long for me to play efficiently.

I always play from the senior tees. I’m 43 so sometimes I’ll hear comments like “you’re too young to be playing from those” but both the PGA and USGA disagree.

I’m trying to break 100 and I play for fun. People can just deal with it.

There’s a range of distances I enjoy playing and don't mind any distance between them. But as others have said, it’s also very easy for a group to play from multiple tees as long as no one cares about honors.

I play from every tee box at my home course throughout the year. Keeps it interesting hitting shots from different places on the course.

I’ll play from any tees when paired up with others, so long as it’s a reasonable distance (i.e. not 7,500+ yards).

I will gladly play forward, but not playing back.
LOL

I'd be flexible but ultimately it would depend upon who and maybe also on how much movement. I honestly can't remember if I've ever opted to not play a set of tees if a playing partner preferred something different than me. Differences in scoring from various tees is just so course dependent.

I really don't care from tips to blues to whites. What will determine, though, above any preference, is the current state of my lower back.

I’m playing my “senior” tees no matter where the others in my group are playing. Because I only play on weekdays, usually in the morning, most of those I might be paired with are also seniors who are also playing forward, so most of the time, we’re all playing the same tees anyway.

I will generally join them on their tees in they are playing back, but I won't move forward

I will play the tees I feel are right for me. I won‘t move back because I did that for too long and lost my enjoyment for the game. I also wouldn’t move up because I know I really shouldn’t be playing there.

Within reason I will play with the group- If I'm within 1 tee forward or back of what I usually play I'm ok with it.
This, on my home course. If i am golfing a new or different course, I will golf from the 6300 -6700 range.

Last edited:
I am flexible and value playing the same tees as long as it makes sense. If we are joined by randos we may or may not play from "their" tees but will tell them from where we plan to play. As mentioned before, the tendency from a large number (of men in particular) is to play too far back for their ability.

I’m perfectly happy moving up or back. I’ll gladly move tees if it helps pace of play

I will move forward no problem. If the group is playing back I will reluctantly move back if it's not way back up to 6300-400 yards. After that it just isn't fun for me. But I also have no problem playing from a different set up tees than my group.

I play with a buddy of mine who is just starting back. We play at about 6000. I usually play at 6500, but I want to keep playing with him and it is just a different challenge playing up. It’s kind of fun.

I have done both played the same tees and kept to my tees, sometimes really depends on the yardage difference or how I am feeling that day. Sometimes playing other tees is fun at a course you play normally as it brings in a new perspective,

I'm fine with playing up, not as okay with playing back, unless it's within reason.

As in - I'm not going to play from the tips just because @MattyD-MPLS can wreck a ball, but if it's just us I'll play up a tee set with my FIL.

I prefer to play my tees. I’ll move up a set if I’m a single joining a threesome but I’ll tell them I don’t have the game for the tips if they want to stretch it out. I’m fine playing a different set of tees. They usually move up a box with me. When they don’t, that’s fine but I’m not going to struggle from the tips. Sometimes they join me later in the round and actually have some fun.

I will play whatever the group is playing, as long as it is not the tips or the most forward. I don’t want to be one guy playing my own tee box, but I have played many times with the group playing 2 different boxes.

The only thing I am pretty adamant about is me and the person in my cart playing the same box unless there is a great reason for us not to do so.

I don't care

I don't mind a bit longer or shorter within reason. I'm more likely to go shorter than longer as I'm a much shorter hitter than I used to be.

I've actually tried talking a couple of my buddies into playing the golds. I don't struggle with length, but they both hit it 200 yards at most. They still think those are the "senior" tees and they're not old enough. Seems some habits are hard to break.

Don’t care.
When I play with my Dad (83) we’ll play the front and I’ll just throttle back so we stay even in the fairway. He’s about 150 with his driver. I pretty much just aim at the yellow ball.

Without him I’ll just go with the group to keep it social.

Back