Diving straight in from the 6H to 7i here
Is that a comfortable transition for you gap wise and for confidence? Part of me just says eff it, lets see what a 7h can do lol

I'm at the 7h 34* doldrums presently.

6h starts at 145yds to 163yds - anything above 163 requires a very solid strike and swing. Its so consistent on carry distance though....no more short shots into the water on slight 6i mishits

I'm at the 7h 34* doldrums presently.

6h starts at 145yds to 163yds - anything above 163 requires a very solid strike and swing. Its so consistent on carry distance though....no more short shots into the water on slight 6i mishits
You mean you are considering a 7h as well?

Is that a comfortable transition for you gap wise and for confidence? Part of me just says eff it, lets see what a 7h can do lol
Yes. It’s so much easier than hitting anything longer than a 7i that the extra few yards that mess up gapping become negligible.
A 7H? That sounds fun too…

You mean you are considering a 7h as well?
Yup...I know on tournament hard greens, it probably won't bite or hold like a 7i does- but I'm definitely considering 7h

Yes. It’s so much easier than hitting anything longer than a 7i that the extra few yards that mess up gapping become negligible.
A 7H? That sounds fun too…

Yup...I know on tournament hard greens, it probably won't bite - but I'm definitely considering 7h
We could be 7h pioneers. I like where this is heading.

Ok, so more hawkpondering on this subject, because I'm dead serious about going this route for an experiment this year.

How are we gapping from our 6h's into our 7 irons? I feel like there's just gotta be a natural gap there, but maybe I'm wrong.
small sample size, but not seeing a gapping issue yet for me

small sample size, but not seeing a gapping issue yet for me
That's promising. Honestly, I don't know who I'm trying to fool anyway. Not like I'm dropping things in a tiny circle.

We could be 7h pioneers. I like where this is heading.
Lets Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

(Or at least not against it)

Ok, so more hawkpondering on this subject, because I'm dead serious about going this route for an experiment this year.

How are we gapping from our 6h's into our 7 irons? I feel like there's just gotta be a natural gap there, but maybe I'm wrong.
My setup was Forged Tec 7i straight into the LTDx 6h

Decent gapping for you?
Yep, was pretty much in the 12 yard carry gap range that I had in my irons. Could probably eek out more if I needed but was generally hitting stock approaches with it.

FWIW, I did also try the LTDx 7h, just didn't have the same magic 😂

Yep, was pretty much in the 12 yard carry gap range that I had in my irons. Could probably eek out more if I needed but was generally hitting stock approaches with it.

FWIW, I did also try the LTDx 7h, just didn't have the same magic 😂
Good to know!

I'm actually gapping to the 8i, which for me is about a 20-yard (+/-) gap. I plan to hit the 6H for 120 and up to about 135.

My slow swing speed results in gaps of 8-9 yards, which is among the reasons that I decided 11 clubs was enough.

That's promising. Honestly, I don't know who I'm trying to fool anyway. Not like I'm dropping things in a tiny circle.
That's kinda where my head is at. I'm guessing my distance may be a bit more variable with the hybrid, but that is balanced out by the hybrid saving me from the really bad shots and landed on average softer so I hold more greens instead of rolling off the back when I do get it mostly right.

I'm actually gapping to the 8i, which for me is about a 20-yard (+/-) gap. I plan to hit the 6H for 120 and up to about 135.

My slow swing speed results in gaps of 8-9 yards, which is among the reasons that I decided 11 clubs was enenough.
I can play 11 all day long.... started the year with 11 - my scores didn't change, in fact shot my lowest this year using just 11-
7w to 5h,6h then irons

Yup...I know on tournament hard greens, it probably won't bite or hold like a 7i does- but I'm definitely considering 7h

I am giving serious thought to getting a G430 7H as well. It should give me about a 120-125 yard shot which will stop on the greens that I play. If I do so, I'll gap to the 9i (which would make my 9-iron a "1-iron", LOL).

When my 6hybrid gets here, I will have 6,7,8 hybrid.

The 6 is Pine meadow and the 7,8 Diamond Tour. They work very well for me.

Late to the party, but I have dabbled with 6h over the years. nothing ever stuck but I think that was on me because I was trying to play a 5h then a 6h then a 6i then a 7i.
I had unrealistic expectations out of my clubs.
Was thinking it had to be:
5h - 170 carry
6h - 160 carry
6i - 150 carry
7i - 140 carry

And the 6h never quite got me to 160 carry so I would yank it out of the bag.

But this time around I am tempering expectations..
So right now I am looking at this setup:
5h 26* 39 3/8" length shaft - 160-165 carry
6h - 30* 38 5/8" shaft - 150-155 carry
7i - 30* 37.25" shaft - 140 carry
So far this seems to be working.

I just added the Adam Idea 2023 6h a couple weeks ago, and have hit it in the simulator. I am seeing 10 yd gaps between the 3 clubs.

Yesterday during a sim rd I had a 153 to a back pin and and hit the 6h and flushed it. nice high draw that carried 156 with 4990 spin. Since the pin was in the back it hit just past pin high and rolled onto the fringe. I would have never hit anything like that with my 26* 6i. And for reference spin on my 6i is usually around 4k only and I struggle to get it to a 40* or greater descent angle. Actually my 5h comes in steeper than the 6i when I pull numbers.

Moral of the story is, I think you have to look at the build of the 6h if you are using it as a transition from hybrid to irons club. Some 6h are over 39" in length now and have upwards of 26-27* of loft. To me that is more of a 5h and not a 6h. In my eyes a 6h is more around that 28-30* loft range and with a reasonable shaft length. That is why I shortened my 6h from 39 1/8" to 38 5/8" to gap off better with the 5h and 7i

Late to the party, but I have dabbled with 6h over the years. nothing ever stuck but I think that was on me because I was trying to play a 5h then a 6h then a 6i then a 7i.
I had unrealistic expectations out of my clubs.
Was thinking it had to be:
5h - 170 carry
6h - 160 carry
6i - 150 carry
7i - 140 carry

And the 6h never quite got me to 160 carry so I would yank it out of the bag.

But this time around I am tempering expectations..
So right now I am looking at this setup:
5h 26* 39 3/8" length shaft - 160-165 carry
6h - 30* 38 5/8" shaft - 150-155 carry
7i - 30* 37.25" shaft - 140 carry
So far this seems to be working.

I just added the Adam Idea 2023 6h a couple weeks ago, and have hit it in the simulator. I am seeing 10 yd gaps between the 3 clubs.

Yesterday during a sim rd I had a 153 to a back pin and and hit the 6h and flushed it. nice high draw that carried 156 with 4990 spin. Since the pin was in the back it hit just past pin high and rolled onto the fringe. I would have never hit anything like that with my 26* 6i. And for reference spin on my 6i is usually around 4k only and I struggle to get it to a 40* or greater descent angle. Actually my 5h comes in steeper than the 6i when I pull numbers.

Moral of the story is, I think you have to look at the build of the 6h if you are using it as a transition from hybrid to irons club. Some 6h are over 39" in length now and have upwards of 26-27* of loft. To me that is more of a 5h and not a 6h. In my eyes a 6h is more around that 28-30* loft range and with a reasonable shaft length. That is why I shortened my 6h from 39 1/8" to 38 5/8" to gap off better with the 5h and 7i
Very helpful post there and I can relate to a lot of the things you are saying. My 6i spin numbers are similar to that at times, which is probably why I was so shocked when I had the chance hit the ZX4 MKii hybrid earlier this year. It might have been the best shot I hit all year from every way you look at it - direction, shape, height, etc.

the only hybrid i have is an 18 deg that takes the place of a 5 wood

Very helpful post there and I can relate to a lot of the things you are saying. My 6i spin numbers are similar to that at times, which is probably why I was so shocked when I had the chance hit the ZX4 MKii hybrid earlier this year. It might have been the best shot I hit all year from every way you look at it - direction, shape, height, etc.
The only area where I still like a mid iron is for low punch shots to get back into play when in the trees. I feel like I can choke down on my 6i and play the ball back of stance and hit that low trap draw with it. with a 5 or 6 hybrid that is a tough play because the ball wants to get up so fast. at the end of last season I was working on hitting low punches with choked down 5 and 7 woods though and it seemed to be pretty effective.

I have a Cobra King OS 5i that is 24*. I actually thought about shortening it an inch and just using it as punch out club. that would put me to 15 clubs though and clutter my bag too much lol Plus I didn't want to rock the 14 club limit boat

Back