Do you “grip down” on your driver...?

Yes, a full 1 to 1.5". I found that's the perfect length for me to actually find the face 90% of the time and actually hit the fairway.

Used to but not really these days. If I need to choke down, I should probably be teeing off with another club.

Last edited:
I choke down 1.5- 2 inches at least because I find the increased length difficult to time the release and maximise clubhead speed or achieve solid contact by impact. Probably because I don't have customised clubs to fit me and that includes the driver. In fact , I really have neglected the impact that poor club fitting and maintenance of grips has on my game.

My clubs are the 'Meridian missiles' that are over 30 years old and I've never changed the 'Mr Softy' grips (I think that's what they were called). Lol!!!

I like the stock shaft length for my driver. I don't choke down on the grip. I don't swing easy. I can't swing fast because that's a slice. If I need less distance I use a different club. Even if that means I use an iron and lay up.

I used to grip down about an inch when I gamed a Cobra driver with the Connect grip -- and it was 46 inches long.

My current driver is cut down to 44.5 inches which is perfect for me (5'10") and pretty easy to find the fairway.

I've got 13 other clubs that go shorter without gripping down. Full send off the tee, always.

If I do grip down for some reason, Istill hammer it. :oops: If a 98 mph swingspeed is a hammer. I found that when I don't go full bore, I spray it. If I go after it with a full turn and good tempo, I have the best opportunity to land in or near the fairway.

I am now a devotee of 45.5-.75 drivers. 5-6 yrs ago, I was playing 43.5-44 inches. Screw that.:ROFLMAO:

(with apologies)

Last edited:
Most the time I am not choking down, but if I am struggling that day I may choke down 1/2 inch to and inch and have found that it sometimes helps with accuracy.

I was planning to choke down, but by switching to two different 44-1/2" shafts and practicing daily this summer, I was able to find a combination that works for me.

Two combinations, in fact. I just bought another driver head, a 13.5 2015 GBB, that works well with "other" shaft!
I should be able to maximize carry distance with the higher lofted GBB head.

Sometimes I'll do it if I need to try and cook up a shot (fairway finder, blind shot heading towards a hazard, etc). But I've already cut my driver shaft down, and if I needed to choke down on every shot, I'd rather just cut it down further.

Sometimes. No rhyme or reason. Just sometimes more control.

Typically no but occasionally I might grip down 1/2” if I want to hit a slight low fade but not often, just grip it and rip it!

With the driver being the longest club in our bags (and now limited to 46” in length).... do you grip down on it....or....take it to the end of the grip? How long do you like your driver to be - and how do you grip it?
I don't like choking down as it doesn't feel right to me. I cut my driver to 44.5 length which works best for me. I may even go shorter closer to 3 wood length this coming year. Plan to experiment some this winter.

I don’t grip down on the driver as I playa less than standard length driver.

I generally grip it out on the end. When I'm swinging really well, I'll grip down a half inch or so on shorter tighter holes. The ball comes off a little lower, straighter and shorter....mostly.

With the driver being the longest club in our bags (and now limited to 46” in length).... do you grip down on it....or....take it to the end of the grip? How long do you like your driver to be - and how do you grip it?

I didnt think the 46" rule applied to ams, and that it is only a local rule that may or may not be invoked at pro tournaments.

My driver has been 44.5” - 45” for decades and I don’t choke down on it. If I want more control or less distance I hit one of my fairway woods.

Rarely. I’m gaming a 43.5” shaft. If I am gripping down, it means I’m playing several levels below my usual crappiness and am flailing for something to go right.

I was fit this spring with -1" on my driver. I've choked up 1/2-1" on it and seems I hit it better, with distance being equal or longer because I hit it more in the sweet spot

My norm is to have about and inch to and inch and a half grip down, so no, i do not grip down any more than normal.

I forget the length of my shaft, maybe close to 45 inches. But yes I grip down about 3/4 to an inch. If I don’t I won’t have as good of control with it and start missing all over the face.

I place my hands on the handle at the point where I can feel the clubface in my right hand.

Back