Do Urethane balls help your game.

Wake

Reaction score
Handicap
I constantly buy high end Urethane balls because I think that they will help my game. I mean how could it not right?

So Monday I shoot a very good round for me, sub 80 for the second time of the year. And the whole time I was using a two piece ball. Thinking back it seems many of my best rounds have come with Surlyn covered balls. My low round was with a Q star.

So do you think you play better with a Urethane ball? Why or why not?

I have played some great rounds with the Volvik DS77. The roll out on the green started to hurt my me. I can't spin a ball like others. I need help. If I didn't get a great deal on B330RX's, I'd be still playing them. Your question is valid. Be interested in the responses.

Which ball were you playing Wake? Was it the QStar?

I shot my PB with a urethane ball, but if things are a little wonky playing a urethane ball probably hurts more than it helps. In the aggregate I would probably be better off playing a surlyn ball.

Which ball were you playing Wake? Was it the QStar?
Haha it was actually a Silver Scot. Probably cost 25 cent a ball.

I do! I think they help me in the short game!

I think they help my game, especially the added spin and consistency for holding greens. For me it adds a level of confidence to my shots.

I constantly buy high end Urethane balls because I think that they will help my game. I mean how could it not right?

So Monday I shoot a very good round for me, sub 80 for the second time of the year. And the whole time I was using a two piece ball. Thinking back it seems many of my best rounds have come with Surlyn covered balls. My low round was with a Q star.

Better? Maybe. I can be more aggressive with my short game if I can generate that bit of extra spin. But, I can still shoot around the same with surlyn balls, I just have to know what kind of ball I'm playing and adjust accordingly.

Yes, I'm better in my short and intermediate game with a urethane ball because of the spin I can get on specific shots I like to play. Part mental, but still absolutely part performance for what I want/need

i definitely think they help me as its easier to execute short game shots, however, i am pretty confident i could play just fine with a mid-range ball like an NXT tour or Q star, E6 etc. A little adjustment with regards to judging rollout and it should be fine.

However, did you shoot better as a result of driving the ball better? Making more putts? hitting more greens? A ball that doesn't spin as much will also not hook/slice, or balloon as much as well, so perhaps you hit more fairways, had more controllable flight into greens, and that translated into good scores for you. In that case, people with spin problems probably wont benefit from higher spin golf balls. It's entirely possible that your best golf ball fit is not a urethane one!

i definitely think they help me as its easier to execute short game shots, however, i am pretty confident i could play just fine with a mid-range ball like an NXT tour or Q star, E6 etc. A little adjustment with regards to judging rollout and it should be fine.

However, did you shoot better as a result of driving the ball better? Making more putts? hitting more greens? A ball that doesn't spin as much will also not hook/slice, or balloon as much as well, so perhaps you hit more fairways, had more controllable flight into greens, and that translated into good scores for you. In that case, people with spin problems probably wont benefit from higher spin golf balls. It's entirely possible that your best golf ball fit is not a urethane one!
All of the above, it was just a good round. I do think the less spin off the tee helped a bit.

One of the things to remember is what causes spin on full swings. Most people believe it to be the cover, and that is just not the case. Off tee compressing hte ball eliminates spin and not compressing it, adds more spin. Hence the reason that they make multiple compression golf balls. Another point that is often overlooked or not understood is that on full swings, the spin between a surlyn ball and a urethane ball with the same compression will be similar. The big area of difference will be on partial swings and imparting spin around the green with those partial swings where compression is a not issue and the cover is necessary to create the backspin.

All of this leads me to make my head spin when I read a lot of things online, but Im learning to get less spin and just try and help...haha

All of the above, it was just a good round. I do think the less spin off the tee helped a bit.

Hitting more fairways is going to help for sure, especially mentally. You feel good off the tee and it'll work its way down to your iron/wedge play and overall confidence when you're on the green.

there's certainly nothing wrong with a surlyn ball, a urethane ball is only effective if you're specifically looking to reap any benefits that it lends itself to. Sometimes its not always the right fit, regardless of what advertising tells you lol.

One of the things to remember is what causes spin on full swings. Most people believe it to be the cover, and that is just not the case. Off tee compressing hte ball eliminates spin and not compressing it, adds more spin. Hence the reason that they make multiple compression golf balls. Another point that is often overlooked or not understood is that on full swings, the spin between a surlyn ball and a urethane ball with the same compression will be similar. The big area of difference will be on partial swings and imparting spin around the green with those partial swings where compression is a not issue and the cover is necessary to create the backspin.

All of this leads me to make my head spin when I read a lot of things online, but Im learning to get less spin and just try and help...haha

I think I"m going to give something like a RX or Chromesoft a try. I've always stayed away because of my swingspeed, but I think the softer compression could give me a big help off the tee, and I think that may be what helps sometimes in the surlyn balls.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

guess i really didn't know all that much about deep details of ball technology and spin. the compression/spin thing is new to me, but i knew that full iron shots spin are similar. For some reason i always had the general consensus that surlyn tended to spin less off driver (are they normally lower compression?) so most people were able to keep them straight.

Could be why i enjoy driving the chrome soft!

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

guess i really didn't know all that much about deep details of ball technology and spin. the compression/spin thing is new to me, but i knew that full iron shots spin are similar. For some reason i always had the general consensus that surlyn tended to spin less off driver (are they normally lower compression?) so most people were able to keep them straight.

Could be why i enjoy driving the chrome soft!

In modern days, they are almost all less compression. Until Bridgestone Came with the RX, almost all urethane golf balls were much higher in compression. Its the old saying of "I hit it great on the range, but" thats becuase they are compressing the cheap range ball on the range, but almost always use a Pro V1 and cant do so.

From what I have noticed, I play about the same with either.
So for me they don't really help that much.
Some of my best rounds have been with the Q star and supersoft balls

Low compression Urethane seems to be a nice fit for me. I just like knowing how the ball will react around the greens. I could certainly adjust to playing a firmer cover around the greens it would just take some practice.

I feel like low compression Urethane has been a huge innovation to the benefit of the mid cap amateur.

Imo I don't think it helps lower my scores but playing the same ball does. Knowing how a ball is going to react when chipping around the green is benifical to lowering scores.

I get more control around the greens with a Urethane ball. I'm fairly straight off the tee most of the time, so yes, it helps me.

I like the spin I can get on short to midrange shots much better so for me it makes a difference. Especially on summer time rock hard Arizona greens.

that was my first thought for you. i don't see you as needing help with spin in your approaches into the green. you hit it plenty high, with plenty of stopping power. i also don't think your typical greenside shot requires a lot of spin, i seem to remember you playing more running shots.

that said, straight off the tee is all of our friend, so i think it makes sense for your game.

most of my rounds this year have been with the spinniest urethane ball i've ever played. i have changed nothing else in my game. i don't think it's a coincidence that my handicap is the lowest it's ever been. i need spin in all aspects of my game, most notably off the tee and around the greens.

most of my rounds this year have been with the spinniest urethane ball i've ever played. i have changed nothing else in my game. i don't think it's a coincidence that my handicap is the lowest it's ever been. i need spin in all aspects of my game, most notably off the tee and around the greens.
Yes I typically don't find much difference holding greens whether it's a distance rock or B330s. I do think I'm fairly low spin off the driver so it may not hurt, but sidespin doesn't help obviously. You are right I have transitioned to alot of sweeping chips that don't spin much. The only time I miss the spin is when shortsided.

I don't know if it's the cover or not, but I just hit more fairways and drive the ball much more accurately when I don't use a urethane ball. I know compression should matter more than the cover on shots with the driver, but I just can't keep urethane balls in the fairway and I should(based on SS) be getting all the compression I need to play a urethane ball. As for stopping power, I hit the ball plenty high enough it's never usually an issue.

I weirdly feel bad admitting it, but it seems like the worse the ball is, the better I play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back