Do Metrics Matter To You?

Jank

I'm just a golfer, I suppose.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
FIRs
Seeing threads about spin, height, etc., and it hits me that I don't really know any of my metrics from a quantifiable perspective other than carry distance. Even that obviously has a large tolerance built in.

Do you roughly know your metrics? Do they matter to you? Are you actively "researching" your game to find out your ball flight characteristics? Or are you more of a freewheeler?

I don’t know my metrics. I would like to; however, in my present form that is not my primary focus to help improve my game. I hope that one day it will be.

Seeing threads about spin, height, etc., and it hits me that I don't really know any of my metrics from a quantifiable perspective other than carry distance. Even that obviously has a large tolerance built in.

Do you roughly know your metrics? Do they matter to you? Are you actively "researching" your game to find out your ball flight characteristics? Or are you more of a freewheeler?
Nope. I don't have access to any, so I don't fret over the spin rate on my 7i. I go to the range, find somewhat of an average and take that info to the course.

Do I think that information can be valuable? Of course. Am I going to paralyze myself with the analysis of it all? Not in a million years. Sorry not sorry.

Idk GIF by VidCon

Mike Myers No GIF

I just know my launch is low with everything. When I got fit for the LTDx I was pretty low spin around the 2000’s. Not sure if it’s still the same or not as my swing has changed a little since then.

I went from being a high-spin player to a low-spin player, and I'm not sure if it matters to me as long as the flight looks good and the results are producing for me.

I really don't and don't care. I want to know my carry number and that is all I need. If the ball flight isn't where I want then I will adjust with shafts, but I don't need all the numbers to tell me if I am playing well or not.

Not really only useful for gapping to me. Otherwise has to pass the eye test as I know my numbers and how they look on the course.

Yes I can tell you my launch, spin and carry distance with 5 through 8 iron as well as driver and 3 wood.

Rest of the clubs I'm less interested

I know them in every club that goes in the bag. Its how I know things do, or don’t, fit my game.

I don’t and I’m scared Sh**le** to go down that rabbit hole. Top Tracer tells me more than enough. I spend all day at work buried in Excel and statistics, cause and effect and all that stuff. I KNOW the trouble I would get myself in. I’ve been through it too many times in too many hobbies. I’m trying to keep golf casual and fun and just kinda “fornicate about and discover”. That’s how I started 30 some years ago and that’s how I’d like to stay.

I’m not going to pretend that it’s not fascinating to see what guys do, but I’ll pass.

No other than distance . I know what spin rate broadly should be on driver .

Other than that , unless you have the consistency and your playing same / similar course . Then that all changes .

Don’t subscribe to seeing “ windows “

We can over detail the game and be so metric focused we loose the most important metrics of all …
Fun and Enjoyment ….

I would love to understand more, and know about the numbers in my bag. I do know more than I used to, but I don’t have the monitor at my disposal to be able to do so like some. I am super intrigued by it though and will hopefully be able to consistently get on a monitor over the winter.

I do when I’m going through the fitting or demoing a club. Beyond that, it has to be a visible change to ball flight for me to get numbers again. Launch angle is the biggest guesstimate for me. It was green and I don’t remember the exact degrees. Spin, apex, and landing angle are my big ones outside of carry. That tells me how the ball should react on the green and that’s what I care about.

After my first outdoor fitting where I could see what some of the numbers actually looked like, I have a slightly better understanding of my numbers. The fitting helped in that it was more than with just a single iron. I think I have a handle on what my spin numbers should be around for each club, and height, but the additional information on the screen/trackman is still a gray area to me.

To a certain degree yes but I don’t get caught up in minutia or details. I went on a data journey several years ago and haven’t played well since, I was chasing numbers rather than having fun and being a play by feel golfer.

I do not know my specific numbers. But could give a general account on my golf metric fingerprint.

If I had regular access to ball / club data gathering devices…I would know them. But I might fall into a quagmire of chasing the wrong thing. So I would only want that level of true knowledge if I were being told by a trusted coach what I should work to improve.

No idea what my metrics are, and really don't care to know them.

All I care about is a clean contact between the club face, and the ball.

No not really. I couldn’t tell you what average spin and height is for anyone of my clubs. Just as long as my gaps are good, then I’m good

I don't have the slightest idea. The only time I ever have access to launch monitors is when an OEM comes into town to do a fitting, nobody around here has one.

It would be fun to know and I'd love to have a few days with one to figure out all my gapping and play around to get some baseline numbers, but since I don't, I have to rely on what I see out on the course.

Since getting the Skytrak Plus this year I am definitely more in tune with all my metrics than ever before. Prior to having the Skytrak all I had to go off of was my golf app and getting on a launch monitor only a few times a year. It has for sure helped my gam on the course.

Yes I do know them and they matter to me. Besides the time knowing them with new/different clubs saves, they help make the actual decisions. So much of comparisons without data becomes subjective/anecdotal. The on course flights and feels and the monitor numbers go hand in hand.

No not really. I couldn’t tell you what average spin and height is for anyone of my clubs. Just as long as my gaps are good, then I’m good
Hope so you know your gaps are good? Do you shotscope/arccos/shot track?

Back