Discounting Green Fees

GopherNut

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm on a golf course board and we're considering going to a different pricing model.

The amounts below are just an example and would be adjusted if we go this general route.

Single = $40 (and may be paired up at course's discretion)
2-some = $60 ($30 each)
3-some = $75 ($25 each)
4-some = $90 ($22.50 each)

Have any of you played courses with this pricing structure?
Did you like it?
Did you find it confusing?
Any resposnses would be appreciated, even if you haven't seen this.

I wish you were on the board at a course in NJ. Prices here are ridiculous. To play a nice course on the weekends during the spring and summer you are easily looking $75+. It is hard to say because I do not know what the prices are like in MN and the surrounding courses.

What if there is a foursome booked, but they don't all make it, but two or three people have already paid?

I have never played a course like this but I like the idea. I think more people would book foursomes and keep the course full

I've never seen this sort of pricing model before but it sounds really cool actually. I like the idea of it quite a lot!

I usually play in Foursomes but TBH i find this a bit much. It really is unfair to make someone who either has to or likes to play by themself pay more then someone who plays in Foursomes. I have never seen this before but I have seen courses charge cart fee for 2 people even tho only 1 is using the cart because they are taking another seat. I also think that is outrageous. I could see you losing singles and getting more Foursomes coming to play, that is both good and bad with that pricing. Why don't yall do something like play 5 times get next round half off or something like that such as punch cards etc. Or buy 10 cart fees get 1 free etc. I would think a lot of things are better than that pricing.

I have also seen course charge fees for booking Foursomes and only 1 or 2 people showing up as it is costing the course money cuz some people will just say Foursome when it's just them so they dont have to play with someone.

As some one who gets a round in when I can and often show up alone, I would not like seeing that I am paying more than those that show up in a group. I do understand the idea from the course's perspective and it may actually encourage me to make a few more phone calls to get a group together before heading out for a round. Good luck getting it figured out. I did join a course this year that discounted the yearly membership quite a bit in early september.

This seems odd to me. I play the majority of my golf by myself and I would probably avoid playing this course if this was the policy. It seems to be unfair for those who aren't playing with a group. Especially since singles are pretty easy to deal with as far as course management goes.

It makes a lot of sense, I like it a lot.

I like the idea. I think there might have to be a fail safe in case something happens as others have suggested or if someone doesn't show but has paid. But overall, I like the idea.

Have any of you played courses with this pricing structure? Never even heard of anything like this.
Did you like it? Not at all, I much perfer to know that I am getting the best price possible, not a price contingent on wheather or not others can make it.
Did you find it confusing? Not really, althought the price structure would probably take a little getting used to.

Kinda' clever. The discount itself encourages more play but individuals may also be inspired to scrounge up more golfers in order to lower their own fee.

Of course, single golfers just on principal alone may skip the course altogether.

I would be asking everyone in the parking lot to join a group to get the cheaper fee.

Seems like the course would lose a lot of revenue under this price structure because a majority of people would try to sign-up os foursomes. Why not just lower the price to $35 for everyone. The course still makes $$$ & people feel like they are getting a discount.

That type of pricing structure is pretty common around here. I like it. It brings more people to the golf course. I make more of an effort to get a group together in order to save some money. It will also promote more golf and more regular golfing buddies.

I'm on a golf course board and we're considering going to a different pricing model.

The amounts below are just an example and would be adjusted if we go this general route.

Single = $40 (and may be paired up at course's discretion)
2-some = $60 ($30 each)
3-some = $75 ($25 each)
4-some = $90 ($22.50 each)

Have any of you played courses with this pricing structure?
Did you like it?
Did you find it confusing?

I play most of my golf as a single, so I wouldn't like this plan at all. Here's another question: If I show up as a single and pay $40, but then get paired up with other people to make up a foursome, do I get $17.50 back at the end of my round because I played with 3 other people? If not, then you're asking for a lot of trouble in my opinion.

Have any of you played courses with this pricing structure? No, I have not.
Did you like it? Guess that would depend on what side of the fee structure I am on. Generally speaking, I would say no.
Did you find it confusing? No, I understand it completely.

I can see both good and bad in this. The bad being that the course actually loses business if people choose to play elsewhere because they can't get a 3rd or a 4th.

I think the missing piece of key information for me to really give you my thoughts is the current cost. Who is this helping? Who is this hurting? If you were currently charging $30 for a single and it goes to $40 - you are going to lose business...at least mine.

I would be asking everyone in the parking lot to join a group to get the cheaper fee.

Agreed!

If I choose to go play as a single, and am paired up on the first tee with 2 or 3 others, do I get the discount??

Feels somewhat discrimanatory against those of us that do not have regular partners to play with. If I was solo or with one other, I would look elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents and about what that's worth...

I play most of my golf as a single, so I wouldn't like this plan at all. Here's another question: If I show up as a single and pay $40, but then get paired up with other people to make up a foursome, do I get $17.50 back at the end of my round because I played with 3 other people? If not, then you're asking for a lot of trouble in my opinion.

Great question ary, if I pay to play a round alone (to practice or do some testing video, or whatever) I certainly would not appreciate being paired up with anyone else to cause me to keep up with the group instead of keeping up with the group ahead while doing whatever I was playing alone for. 1 time pairing me with others and making me actually pay extra for being paired would make me never return to that course.

I've never seen any pricing pyramid like this. I would not play this course unless I had a 4 some.

I like this pricing model and it would keep me coming back to that course over others without something like that.

I dont understand the big issue with the pricing structure here, its the way the world works, you buy more stuff and you get a cheaper price. Pizza companies are not discriminating against people who want to eat alone by charging more per square inch of pizza for a small than they do for a large. Volume discount... same thing here right?

On first read, I liked the idea but after seeing some of the comments and thinking a little more about it, I don't like it.

I understand trying to encourage more players by offering the discount to foursomes but at the risk of discouraging smaller groups. With the exception of cart use, most expenses at a club are fixed and not impacted (much) by additional play.

I think the thing to do is to determine the price that maximizes income without causing net loss. Essentially covering the cost of cart rental with a single green fee may do just that. As long as a single in a cart is covering cost you lose nothing and every walker or second rider is "profit".

More players may also translate into more profit in the pro shop and grill room too.

Of course if you become "too successful" you can inch the price up a little.

I dont understand the big issue with the pricing structure here, its the way the world works, you buy more stuff and you get a cheaper price. Pizza companies are not discriminating against people who want to eat alone by charging more per square inch of pizza for a small than they do for a large. Volume discount... same thing here right?
The pizza analogy is spot on, and should be the same with golf. A large pizza costs the same no matter how many people are eating it. Should be the same with golf, 1,2,3, or 4 players should be the same price per round, per player.

There was a muni course I used to play that had a weekend special of a foursome for $100, including carts, if you booked online. It was a great deal and we used it a lot. However, since moving to New England, I don't have a regular foursome. I usually go out as a single, and would trend to avoid courses that penalized that, especially if they are going to pair me up anyway. If I'm going to pay a premium for being a single, I would want the ability to have my own cart, and the ability to play alone if I desire, especially if the course is not super busy.

Back