Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf

evand23mc

Master of my own Domain
Reaction score
Handicap
Just received this email, looks like Dick's Sporting Goods is committed to golf...

01.jpg

Then maybe they should revitalize the golf sections in their stores to what they once were. Seems the ones I've been in since they let the "pros" go have been very questionable.

My local store cut the size of their golf department in half...but they now have the newest gear from more companies. Looks like a quality over quantity approach here anyway. I don't mind it, but I never have and never will rely on them to be my primary golf provider.

Hopefully that means they will have golf employees there that know what they are talking about

We have 2 Dick's Sporting Goods about 15-20 minutes from my house. The one has cut its equipment almost in half, and apparel a quarter or third. There is never much help to be had there in the golf section. Although, they do seem to always have the latest and greatest clubs. The other one has not cut anything and there is usually someone there that is very helpful, though I don't think I would go to them for a fitting. Hopefully they are on the track of retooling and improving their golf offerings and service....we shall see!

Interesting, we have a new Dick's store ( opened around Christmas, I think) and the golf department is quite large but has no one who can really give you a competent fitting or discuss the equipment.

It's been sad to see the golf dept. at DSG fall off over the past year or so. I've been in there for club repairs and regripping and have always had pretty good experiences.

Now that Dick's owns/operates Golf Galaxy as well I think they are trying to figure out how committed to golf they want to be. Looks like this letter says it all. I remember a few years ago when they canned all of there golf professionals over night. I have never relied on Dick's as my primary golf store, but a new store is being built right near my house. So with this new commitment maybe that will change.

I'm happy to see that they are selling PING now. I'm calling the closest one to me to see if they have them on the floor, and if so then I'll be there Saturday.

I'm happy to see that they are selling PING now. I'm calling the closest one to me to see if they have them on the floor, and if so then I'll be there Saturday.

The Dick's that opened here in Tallahassee has had Ping since day one. Nothing Titleist other than balls and gloves.

I haven't purchased any clubs at Dicks since Golf Galaxy has opened and even before I didn't make many club purchases there. I do buy shoes/clothes/balls with gift cards I receive otherwise I spend my golf dollars at GG, Golfsmith or my club's proshop.

I've been to multiple dicks in MA and NY and never have I seen a Titleist club. Balls gloves and apparel yes. But clubs, no.

I have never been impressed with the golf department at Dick's ever. Never had a helpful or knowledgable employee and they keep the simulator locked down like Alcatraz.

We have all brands at ours.

I didn't notice a decline after the 2014 problems. Same brands and selection. One less annoying guy giving bad advice.

unless there are some balls, tees or maybe a piece of clothing i like i don't buy much golf stuff from dicks especially equipment.

the one across the street from my house had 2 people working the golf section the other day but they were not that knowledgeable and felt bad for the older couple talking to the one kid about push carts. if i wasn't in a rush i probably would have jumped in.

Who is fitting these clubs? The guy from the fishing section?

Besides gloves I have never purchased any golf stuff from Dicks.

I've never purchased any golf equipment from Dicks. I like that they are donating $5 for every driver and iron set right now to the First Tee though.

I seen that Dicks has 50% trade in enhancement going on now. Might check out what my local one has here in Peoria so I can get rid of some clubs.

Dick's is the last place I think of when wanting to look at golf equipment............

I seen that Dicks has 50% trade in enhancement going on now. Might check out what my local one has here in Peoria so I can get rid of some clubs.

Where'd you see that? Email?

We have a Dick's nearby, and its the only place within ~20 miles with a "golf" section. The pro left, but the guy who assisted him is still there and is OK. Whenever I see him we BS a while about golf. Sometimes grips go on sale, but other than that I only browse their stuff.

But didn't (this past year) they just fire all their pro's?????
How can a place claim 100% commitment when they shrunk the sections and not even to mention the above?:confused2:

If you ask me, I feel they should perhaps rid their stores of golf and put all their golf efforts into their Golf Galaxy stores. I Or if better suiting to them do the opposite and rid the Golf Galaxy chain and put all the efforts into the Dicks stores golf sections. I mean why compete against themselves? Just have one and make it professional as possible. Pro's, fitters, golf knowledgeable workers and large selection of anything.

But didn't (this past year) they just fire all their pro's?????
How can a place claim 100% commitment when they shrunk the sections and not even to mention the above?:confused2:

If you ask me, I feel they should perhaps rid their stores of golf and put all their golf efforts into their Golf Galaxy stores. I Or if better suiting to them do the opposite and rid the Golf Galaxy chain and put all the efforts into the Dicks stores golf sections. I mean why compete against themselves? Just have one and make it professional as possible. Pro's, fitters, golf knowledgeable workers and large selection of anything.
Because many if those pros added very little in the service department, but did increase the payroll by a bit.

If I hadn't read it here, I wouldn't have known there were struggles. Thr stock of clubs hasn't changed, maybe a few less clubs sitting on the shelves but just as many models.

Back