DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

What did you think of the course? It’s been on my radar for awhile, but I’ve still not played it.
It not in nearly as good of shape as what it was a few years ago. At least that’s what the guys I played with said. Greens are very tricky. Tons of undulation in the greens. Can have some really challenging putts. Might be the most challenging greens I’ve ever played and I’ve played Spy Glass if that says anything. It’s worth the cost to play it. With my old man discount is was 40 bucks. I’d play it again. Pace was good. Front was really good played it in an hour forty. Got backed up on last 3 or 4 holes still played in 3hrs and 30 minutes or less

The Golf Ranch in Richardson converted 90% of their bays to Top Tracer bays last year. Before then, it was probably the largest green grass facility in the metroplex besides Leondard LInks in Ft. Worth.

The plus side is you get to see data on all of your shots. The downside is you're hitting off mats outside (which seems like a waste). They also raised their prices a lot - a bucket of balls can run you $30. It felt like they were trying to become an outdoor version of Top Golf. They are pushing the 'bring friends/family, eat, drink and hang out' more than catering to serious practice.

It'll be interesting to see if courses/ranges move on to this model.

I'm admittedly old school. If I'm hitting outside, I prefer to hit off grass. The benefits of this type of technology is great in a fitting or teaching environment.
Same in Arlington. I go to the Golf Center of Arlington to hit balls and they also installed TopTracer in all their bays.
It used to be a quiet place to hit balls and focus on improving, but it has now become, as you mentioned, a 'bring friends/family, eat, drink, and hang out' place.

As a matter of fact, they are in the process of converting the whole range into a hotel/golf range facility. Hopefully, that does not increase prices...

It is gimmicky but it’s really just hybrid hybrid and an 8 or 9 iron. Unless you are like the guys in front of us that were playing practice round for the Byron Nelson qualifier today. There drives on 18 were 296 up to 330.
That’s what I finally learned to do. Just too much risk to try to carry a driver. So it’s two hybrids and stay left of the tree on the second shot….

Any recent feedback on Sky Creek Ranch? We got decent tee times next week for a good rate, but I haven’t played there in ages. I don’t remember anything about it.

Any recent feedback on Sky Creek Ranch? We got decent tee times next week for a good rate, but I haven’t played there in ages. I don’t remember anything about it.
I played there about a month ago. It was in pretty good shape. I imagine it’s fantastic after all the rain.

I love that course. It puts you through the grinder, but in a fun way.

I played there about a month ago. It was in pretty good shape. I imagine it’s fantastic after all the rain.

I love that course. It puts you through the grinder, but in a fun way.
I played there about a month ago as well. Hadn’t been there in about a year. They got in a fight with the city last summer over water and were only able to water the greens. The rest of the course got torched. It’s getting back nicely but still not in the shape it was prior (used to feel like resort course shape). Fun track though. Definitely need to be accurate out there.

I played there about a month ago as well. Hadn’t been there in about a year. They got in a fight with the city last summer over water and were only able to water the greens. The rest of the course got torched. It’s getting back nicely but still not in the shape it was prior (used to feel like resort course shape). Fun track though. Definitely need to be accurate out there.

Yikes. Didnt know that about the city. Thats what ended up killing Riverchase golf course. (That and the cart paths looking like an earthquake hit)

Coppell won’t let them water - so the course is burnt up each summer. Too bad. It’s a fun layout. And good location. If they could put a little investment in it, it would be a good track.

Yikes. Didnt know that about the city. Thats what ended up killing Riverchase golf course. (That and the cart paths looking like an earthquake hit)

Coppell won’t let them water - so the course is burnt up each summer. Too bad. It’s a fun layout. And good location. If they could put a little investment in it, it would be a good track.
When we were there last month we saw them building a well pump house at a pond on the back nine so it looks like they are finding a solution. The ownership (Sky Creek Ranch, Bridlewood, and Westridge) is usually pretty good, and not afraid to spend money. Time will tell I guess.

When we were there last month we saw them building a well pump house at a pond on the back nine so it looks like they are finding a solution. The ownership (Sky Creek Ranch, Bridlewood, and Westridge) is usually pretty good, and not afraid to spend money. Time will tell I guess.
Sky Creek obviously gets alot of traffic, so hope the water situation gets resolved. After they cleared out alot of tree overgrowth, the course (and pace of play issues) improved.

As others commented, I'm sure it's lush right now...but summers have always taken a toll on this place. The original bent grass greens never stood a chance, so glad they swapped them out...just hope the Keller/Fort Worth water restrictions are less extreme this year...and I'm a Keller resident, so impacts my landscaping too...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sky Creek obviously gets alot of traffic, so hope the water situation gets resolved. After they cleared out alot of tree overgrowth, the course (and pace of play issues) improved.

As others commented, I'm sure it's lush right now...but summers have always taken a toll on this place. The original bent grass greens never stood a chance, so glad they swapped them out...just hope the Keller/Fort Worth water restrictions are less extreme this year...and I'm a Keller resident, so impacts my landscaping too...

While I loved the intention, trying to have bent grass greens on a public course ij this part of the country is tough. One by one they all eventually moved to tiff Bermuda.

I remember when Bridlewood lost theirs one brutal summer. They set up temporary greens in front of each hole.

I think Texas Star was the last holdout that finally gave in.

While I loved the intention, trying to have bent grass greens on a public course ij this part of the country is tough. One by one they all eventually moved to tiff Bermuda.

I remember when Bridlewood lost theirs one brutal summer. They set up temporary greens in front of each hole.

I think Texas Star was the last holdout that finally gave in.
Yessir...the big fans were a bit of a joke. I recall randoms that I got paired with hitting into the fans. Definitely a good laugh.

Thats what ended up killing Riverchase golf course. (That and the cart paths looking like an earthquake hit)
We played Riverchase last year and it was a mess. I actually had a ball go down in a crack in the middle of the fairway. And yes, cart paths are awful. Hope they find a solution, as the layout was fun.

We played Riverchase last year and it was a mess. I actually had a ball go down in a crack in the middle of the fairway. And yes, cart paths are awful. Hope they find a solution, as the layout was fun.
That happened to me too. Too pricy of a course for its quality if you ask me.

It not in nearly as good of shape as what it was a few years ago. At least that’s what the guys I played with said. Greens are very tricky. Tons of undulation in the greens. Can have some really challenging putts. Might be the most challenging greens I’ve ever played and I’ve played Spy Glass if that says anything. It’s worth the cost to play it. With my old man discount is was 40 bucks. I’d play it again. Pace was good. Front was really good played it in an hour forty. Got backed up on last 3 or 4 holes still played in 3hrs and 30 minutes or less
Love the Bridges, but you know it's close for me. Generally when i go it's a weekday so i can use my Military and Senior Discounts. Wish i could have taken off one morning to go this time, But i am already taking off part of next week to work the PGA Championship at the New PGA Courses

That happened to me too. Too pricy of a course for its quality if you ask me.

Anything more than $20 for that course is a rip off.

Used to be a little gem. I used to work off 114 and McArthur. Played many an afternoon round there back in the day.

I will definitely agree with this review, gimmicky and not in good shape

So what about munis in the area? I love some of the old munis around, like Stevens Park and Rockwood. Any others come to mind that you like?

So what about munis in the area? I love some of the old munis around, like Stevens Park and Rockwood. Any others come to mind that you like?
Absolutely love Stevens Park. Also like Cedar Crest and Tennison. Not a fan of Luna Vista. It is what is is….a cheap option.

Some other good munis around. Pecan Hollow is a gem.

I’m in the men’s league at Grapevine. That’s a really good muni as well.

The hardest part with all of them is getting tee times.

Stevens Park is a Gem, small older style golf course hidden in an Old Area of Dallas. I drive down a couple of time a year to play, I am way north in Prosper

Stevens Park is a Gem, small older style golf course hidden in an Old Area of Dallas. I drive down a couple of time a year to play, I am way north in Prosper
Nothing but good things about Stevens Park

But i am already taking off part of next week to work the PGA Championship at the New PGA Courses
Are you talking about over in Frisco? Is there a tournament there next week? I thought this year’s PGA Championship was at Valhalla.

I enjoy it, too. I’m in Flower Mound, so about the distance as you. Senior rate is under $20 to walk! But something is up with their website. No matter what date I choose, it says no available times. I usually move on and find another course. I’ll call the clubhouse one of these days.

I’m in the men’s league at Grapevine. That’s a really good muni as well.
I love Grapevine, played it many times, but can never get a decent tee time these days. I’m not a member of their club, which I think has a long waitlist.

Other munis I've played and would recommend...most of Ft Worth side of town

Hawks Creek - good conditions, cool layout
Cross Timbers - TX Hill Country feel, great conditions
Grapevine - good conditions, hard to get tee times
Irving - good conditions, interesting characters at this place
Lake Arlington - good conditions, couple hard holes, rest are simple, sometimes slow pace
Fossil Creek, Bridlewood, Sky Creek, Iron Horse - lumped together, good conditions, lots of traffic

Not as nice, still worth a look...Pecan Valley River, Whitestone, Wildhorse at Robson, Oeste Ranch.

For the spots above, conditions are typically good, but either price/value, slow pace, or bad conditions could impact your enjoyment.

Other munis I've played and would recommend...most of Ft Worth side of town

Hawks Creek - good conditions, cool layout
Cross Timbers - TX Hill Country feel, great conditions
Grapevine - good conditions, hard to get tee times
Irving - good conditions, interesting characters at this place
Lake Arlington - good conditions, couple hard holes, rest are simple, sometimes slow pace
Fossil Creek, Bridlewood, Sky Creek, Iron Horse - lumped together, good conditions, lots of traffic

Not as nice, still worth a look...Pecan Valley River, Whitestone, Wildhorse at Robson, Oeste Ranch.

For the spots above, conditions are typically good, but either price/value, slow pace, or bad conditions could impact your enjoyment.

I go to Lake Arlington on the regular and it's a great course. That is true, sometimes very slow pace.
They just cram people in between tee times somethings.

Back