DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Saw the COVID affect thread on golf rates and made me think of my recent search for tee times on a weekend in the area:

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

Oof. Only played 2 of the 5 you listed. Coyote Ridge is decent, but tight front nine and a couple weird holes on the back make it hard to recommend at that price. I'm in the minority and like Tour 18, but I'll pass for $135.

what is the guess on green fees? I’m guessing $250. Will be the one public course comfortable being higher than Cowboys.
Not the green fees, was wondering if it’s close to being completed yet

Sugartree -$59
Squaw Valley- $60
Fossil Creek- $79
The Resort GC- $55
Wildhorse- $79
Southern Oaks- $45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need some Squaw Valley in my life sometime soon. Who's in?

Getting back into the game really for the first time in about 6 years since before moving to the area at the end of 2016 from Chicago. Are the courses always in this rough of shape over winter/early spring and costs this high? Saw some posts that maybe this winter is worse and maybe Covid has impacted prices. Guess I can't complain about winter golf compared to where I'm originally from

Getting back into the game really for the first time in about 6 years since before moving to the area at the end of 2016 from Chicago. Are the courses always in this rough of shape over winter/early spring and costs this high? Saw some posts that maybe this winter is worse and maybe Covid has impacted prices. Guess I can't complain about winter golf compared to where I'm originally from

Prices are MUCH higher due to the covid induced golf boom. A lot of people who left the game for whatever reason came back during covid and demand is through the roof. It'll be interesting to see if it softens a bit this summer. It seems like people are chomping at the bit to do everything they've missed out on in the last 2 years. When summer hits and people are going on vacation, to the lake and doing other summer activities, you have to think the demand will slip a bit.

Dormant Bermuda courses are always going to be a little rough in the winter, especially when it's been as dry as it has been. April is usually the wettest month of the year, so hopefully the courses will get green up and be in better shape by May.

Yes prices are up and courses are crowded.

Being in Ft Worth, have you tried Rockwood? I was playing it frequently a few years ago and conditions were always good.

You asked about conditions -- we've been in a drought this winter, and conditions suck. Hopefully, we get spring rain.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully the prices are momentary but I'm not getting my hopes up lol. And good to know on bermuda. I've played here and there since moving here but this is the first time over winter. Still learning the differences down here.

I haven't played Rockwood yet but it's on my list. Looks like a nice course. Our group is split living in Fort Worth and Dallas so we have tended to meet somewhere in the middle so far.

Hey all - heading down that way this week and looking to play golf with a buddy of mine that will be in DFW on Saturday afternoon. We're staying in the Dallas/Park Central area and he's in the Frisco area.

Any courses you recommend around there that are fun and good tracks?

Yes prices are up and courses are crowded.

Being in Ft Worth, have you tried Rockwood? I was playing it frequently a few years ago and conditions were always good.

You asked about conditions -- we've been in a drought this winter, and conditions suck. Hopefully, we get spring rain.

So, so far I've played Mansfield National, Grand Oaks, Riverside, Texas Star, and Riverchase. Have any others in between Fort Worth and Dallas that you'd recommend as potential next spots to hit up? Iron Horse, Fossil Creek and Bear Creek are some of the main ones I'm interested in trying out.

So, so far I've played Mansfield National, Grand Oaks, Riverside, Texas Star, and Riverchase. Have any others in between Fort Worth and Dallas that you'd recommend as potential next spots to hit up? Iron Horse, Fossil Creek and Bear Creek are some of the main ones I'm interested in trying out.

I believe Iron Horse finished a remodeling, so check it out.

When conditions allow grass to grow - typically the best public in the area is Cowboys. Try the Tribute and Old American, and Grapevine Muni.

Bear Creek gets a crowd ... don't know much about the course but if you like passenger jets screaming above you, go for it. :oops:

When conditions allow grass to grow - typically the best public in the area is Cowboys. Try the Tribute and Old American, and Grapevine Muni.

Bear Creek gets a crowd ... don't know much about the course but if you like passenger jets screaming above you, go for it. :oops:
@jmix18 I did hear from a guy who i play with a lot that Grapevine is in good shape, i have not played it in years

I haven't really played too many courses aside from the east side of the metroplex, but one that I do really like is Stevens Park. Haven't played there in 6 months or so though, so no idea on current conditions.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check into them. Never heard of the Tribute and Old American. Just quickly looked and they look like great courses.

And you're right about the planes lol. We lived right on the edge of Euless and Grapevine for almost a year when we moved here and they are constant.

Glad to see you playing again old friend Welcome back to the dark... I mean fun side!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My usual courses are Tierra Verde, Waterchase, Tangle Ridge, and Texas Rangers. I do get to Rockwood in Fort Worth every now and then. If I'm just going out for a quick round I will hit Lake Arlington every now and then. Lake Arlington is a decent muni.

Fossil Creek is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex.

I'm not a big fan of the layout at Iron Horse. It has some really odd designed hole. I remember one where you you have to layup off the tee about 150 yards, then have 200+ yards into the hole. But it sounds like they may have remodeled some things.

Bear Creek is often very crowded and slow. As mentioned above, it's right in the flnal approach path for one of the runways at DFW, so you'll have jets roaring over you the whole time. Not bad when they are landing to the south, loud when they are northbound departures.

Sky Creek Ranch is hard for everyone to get to, so it's a nice track in-between Dallas and FW.

Riverchase is by my office. Unfortunately the conditions have gone downhill. But it's cheap and easy to get on there.

Grapevine is a fun course to play. The pace of play is usually fantastic. The only downside is it's tough to get a good tee time. If you aren't on when the tee sheet first opens, you're usually SOL for a decent time. I think the regulars have the inside track, so the times that are available to book online are picked over. When I played there last week, many of the greens were infested with poa grass. Hopefully they get ahold of it. Some of the greens were like putting on punched greens.

Played Fossil Creek in a scramble on Monday. Greens were still pretty bumpy, but should hopefully be good in a few weeks. It was a really fun layout though!

Glad to see you playing again old friend Welcome back to the dark... I mean fun side!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Fossil Creek is one of my favorite courses in the metroplex.

I'm not a big fan of the layout at Iron Horse. It has some really odd designed hole. I remember one where you you have to layup off the tee about 150 yards, then have 200+ yards into the hole. But it sounds like they may have remodeled some things.

Bear Creek is often very crowded and slow. As mentioned above, it's right in the flnal approach path for one of the runways at DFW, so you'll have jets roaring over you the whole time. Not bad when they are landing to the south, loud when they are northbound departures.

Sky Creek Ranch is hard for everyone to get to, so it's a nice track in-between Dallas and FW.

Riverchase is by my office. Unfortunately the conditions have gone downhill. But it's cheap and easy to get on there.

Grapevine is a fun course to play. The pace of play is usually fantastic. The only downside is it's tough to get a good tee time. If you aren't on when the tee sheet first opens, you're usually SOL for a decent time. I think the regulars have the inside track, so the times that are available to book online are picked over. When I played there last week, many of the greens were infested with poa grass. Hopefully they get ahold of it. Some of the greens were like putting on punched greens.

Thanks for the input! Yeah Riverchase was brutal when I went recently. Good to know on Fossil Creek, Sky Creek Ranch, and another endorsement for Grapevine. You aren't kidding about tee times though. I took a look and there's nothing available at all until twilight.

Thanks for the input! Yeah Riverchase was brutal when I went recently. Good to know on Fossil Creek, Sky Creek Ranch, and another endorsement for Grapevine. You aren't kidding about tee times though. I took a look and there's nothing available at all until twilight.

The only time I've successfully booked a decent Fri-Sat-Sunday tee time was when I was up at 6:00 for something else and happened to jump on the site when tee times opened up for a Friday. The best I could get was a 10:45 tee time and it felt like I'd struck gold.

They do a good job of matching up singles though if you call in. I WFH 4 days a week and if things look good by Wednesday, I've had good luck getting on Friday afternoon with a group. And I've gotten around in less than 4 hours every Friday afternoon...which is unheard of at a lot of courses.

Back