DFW & Surrounding Area Chat Thread

Playing dormant Bermuda is a small price to pay for year round golf. But SO ready for the courses to green up. Played the revamped Buffalo Creek on Saturday. It was in good shape. But felt like everything was dry and dusty like you describe Texas Star.

Agreee, it's usually not this bad - dry - drought.

Everything down here in SW FtW is just as bad. And everyone paints the greens too. But they are still pretty hard and quick.

With rain last night, maybe we will get some relief. Now if we can get a little less traffic from newbies tearing up the courses, or demand required courses on golf etiquette.:unsure:

Anyone local want these Arrcos sensors? I’m in north Arlington. If not, I’ll throw then on the classifieds and charge a bit to cover shipping…

Attachments

• 945B0C1C-7F6C-4CC1-864F-F852366188AB.jpeg
    945B0C1C-7F6C-4CC1-864F-F852366188AB.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 57527B68-0EE0-41A3-AB89-2DE6FA7C6DB4.jpeg
    57527B68-0EE0-41A3-AB89-2DE6FA7C6DB4.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7
With rain last night, maybe we will get some relief. Now if we can get a little less traffic from newbies tearing up the courses, or demand required courses on golf etiquette.:unsure:

I played Texas Star today. Still needs a lot of water but its not terrible. Around noon, the greens were wet enough that they’d hold. By 4, they were pretty hard. The fairways didn’t have dust popping up. The tee box markers are only about 6 foot apart so they are trying to let them grow… there were also a lot of areas blocked off in the fairways for carts.

Has anyone played TPC Craig Ranch? if so, what did you think?

Saw the COVID affect thread on golf rates and made me think of my recent search for tee times on a weekend in the area:

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

Saw the COVID affect thread on golf rates and made me think of my recent search for tee times on a weekend in the area:

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

Holy crap - I am staying in KC enjoy

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

I just do range at Bridlewood - gets too much play.

I go elsewhere to a place near Euless....;)

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

Tour 18 at $135…. Fun layout but course conditions have sucked for the past 5 years…. I would rather pay the extra $60-$70 bucks and play Cowboys. At least you would get a good meal and decent conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westridge is a bargain by comparison, $79 on the weekend. However, I hear 5–6-hour rounds are pretty common. One of the guys I play golf with has a daughter that lives off the 17 green. Apparently, a fight broke out with punches thrown when the trailing group hit into the group on/near the green, and apparently it wasn't the first time in the round. In addition to the guys they hit into on/near the green, there were two groups waiting to tee off on 18th.

The Bridges in Gunter is also a bargain but it is quite a drive (30 miles / 35 minutes for me from McKinney).

Westridge is a bargain by comparison, $79 on the weekend. However, I hear 5–6-hour rounds are pretty common. One of the guys I play golf with has a daughter that lives off the 17 green. Apparently, a fight broke out with punches thrown when the trailing group hit into the group on/near the green, and apparently it wasn't the first time in the round. In addition to the guys they hit into on/near the green, there were two groups waiting to tee off on 18th.

The Bridges in Gunter is also a bargain but it is quite a drive (30 miles / 35 minutes for me from McKinney).

I haven't played Westridge in years, but it seems like weekend rounds around this area, I play Plantation alot are all 5 hour rounds....I agree with Bridges, good course but if its windy, damn-WIDE OPEN AND TOUGH PLAY

Tour 18 at $135…. Fun layout but course conditions have sucked for the past 5 years…. I would rather pay the extra $60-$70 bucks and play Cowboys. At least you would get a good meal and decent conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tour 18 has sucked conditions wise for about 15 yrs.;):unsure::mad: Too many owners once the original owner left and it's right down the street. I never play it because of conditions. And then there is Champions Circle - I guess it is golf but that poor course.

Has anyone played TPC Craig Ranch? if so, what did you think?
It’s a nice track, I like the front better than the back. Greens were always very soft with being bent grass.

It’s a nice track, I like the front better than the back. Greens were always very soft with being bent grass.
Good to know. I have a tee time in a couple of weeks and was just wondering. Not looking forward to the “Texas wind”!

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

Damn, kinda glad I moved to WI!

PM’d

Coyote Ridge - $97
Frisco Lakes - $103
Tour 18 - $135
Sky Creek Ranch - $135
Bridlewood - $122

Crazy.

That is crazy. I know I'm skewed by what old prices are. I play in a small informal league of about 25 guys. We play 3 weekend days a month and try to only play a course once. So I've felt first hand this year how everywhere is charging a lot more. But I still think some courses have a natural 'value' when compared to the market. But supply and demand. If people are still booking....

Coyote Ridge - Mickey mouse layout, especially 10. Very weak finishing holes. The back 9 feels like it was crammed into 7 holes worth of space. The clubhouse is nice. Max price should be $80.

Frisco Lakes - Last time I played out there major parts of the fairways were completely bare and missing. The range is closed more than it's open. Amenities are a C at best. Max price should be $70.

Tour 18 - As others have said, this course hasn't been in good shape in ages. Too many owners, conditions vary too much. Amen Corner is fun to play for the novelty factor. I live 10 minutes away and rarely played it even when it was reasonably priced because of the conditions. But every golfer who's visited our house wants to play there, so I'll drag my ass out there. Max price should be $75.

Sky Creek Ranch - Very challenging course. Conditions and amenities are great. It's flirted with a $90 rack rate back in the day. I'd have a hard time paying more than $105 for it today.

Bridlewood - As mentioned above, rounds can be long. They sell a ton of PLP memberships. It's worth playing out there at those discounted rates, so would be hard to swallow a rate higher than $90.

Side note - I've played a lot at Grapevine this year. The pace of play out there is fantastic and the green fees are reasonable. Unfortunately they have had an outbreak of poa grass on a lot of their greens. Hopefully they get it under control.

Other than league, I think I'll be playing a lot of weekday golf this year. I'm fortunate enough to have some flexibility in my job.

How is the new PGA facility and courses coming along?

The range alone looks amazing and that par 3 course seems pretty fun

3CB84350-C929-479B-AE93-5C23CABACAB3.jpeg

How is the new PGA facility and courses coming along?

what is the guess on green fees? I’m guessing $250. Will be the one public course comfortable being higher than Cowboys.

Back