You are very right RxGus! I am currently in the clinical process of R.T. school, and I have also saw some very nasty situations with dehydration. I couldn't imagine being in their situation, so no matter if I am doing cardio, weight lifting, or golfing, I also use the two bottles of water to one electrolyte replacing drink. I do stay very hydrated throughout the day in the first place, but a person can never be too careful!

I absolutely do not understand courses which don't supply water for free. Every course I've ever played has water available on at least one hole out of every 3. I carry a 20 oz. soda bottle in my bag which I refill at every opportunity. I probably drink at least 40 oz of water on a typical summer round.

I've used plain water for hydration for 60 years, so I'm not likely to change now. I try to drink 80 oz. of water daily, and maybe more if I'm doing something which requires it. Never suffered from an electrolyte problem, and I don't like either the taste or the cost of Gatorade, so I'll stick with water.

I drink lots of water before I go to the course and I drink 4- 20 oz bottles of water and 1- 32 oz powerade everytime I golf. here in FL I take no chances.

I keep hydrated in my round by drinking water and taking an electrolyte solution. I use NUUN electrolytes tablets which disolve in water and are sugarless.

I'll just counter that and say that that I see a lot of people in my Emergency room who work out and drink only water and not gatorade. Sometimes their sodium (and when it is really scary, their potassium) is very very low. When you drink to much "free water" you body produces urine which contains sodium and potassium and you end up loosing both through sweat and through the urine you produce.

I agree with you that you shouldn't loose that much during a round of golf, but if you are carrying in very hot conditions it is quite possible... hence my 2 bottle to 1 bottle rule. If I have finished 2 bottles of water by the turn (which happens on a semi-regular basis) then I make my third bottle an electrolyte replacing beverage. Otherwise I think you are fine to just drink water as long as you eat a meal sometime later that evening to replace your electrolytes

When you start to see problems is when people get 3-4 L of water (3-4 large bottles) without any electrolytes. At that point, the sugars and the carbs are pretty insignificant when you weigh it against the benefit of replacing some of your lytes. Things in the ER get pretty nasty when you are really dehydrated and continue to drink plain water.

Most people who golf aren't working out while playing golf. I see an overwhelming majority of people riding carts to those who walk at the courses I play. Again, if they would just be hydrated before the round, then it shouldn't be a problem riding around a golf course on a hot day. Again, walking and carrying on a hot day might be different, I am not disputing that at all. Nor am I saying someone who is working out in hot conditions wouldn't benefit from a Gatorade. I'm just talking about golfing.

Sometimes I'll drink a Gatorade but just because I like it and the cost of bottled water is about the same at a golf course. Then I'll fill it up with water on the course. As far as urine goes, when it's dark, you're dehydrated. If it's clear, you are drinking too much water.

Smalls- I agree. I have only ridden two rounds in the past 2 years and I forget that most people take a cart everywhere.

Sometimes I'll drink a Gatorade but just because I like it and the cost of bottled water is about the same at a golf course. Then I'll fill it up with water on the course. As far as urine goes, when it's dark, you're dehydrated. If it's clear, you are drinking too much water.

I would word that a little different
If it's clear you are drinking enough water!

I absolutely do not understand courses which don't supply water for free. Every course I've ever played has water available on at least one hole out of every 3. I carry a 20 oz. soda bottle in my bag which I refill at every opportunity. I probably drink at least 40 oz of water on a typical summer round.

I've used plain water for hydration for 60 years, so I'm not likely to change now. I try to drink 80 oz. of water daily, and maybe more if I'm doing something which requires it. Never suffered from an electrolyte problem, and I don't like either the taste or the cost of Gatorade, so I'll stick with water.

Its not that you shouldn't drink that much water... it is that you shouldnt drink that much water during acute dehydration. Drink all the water you want to prevent dehydration. It is just in that "I am already dehydrated" phase that gatorade makes a difference. It sounds like you never get to that stage

Its not that you shouldn't drink that much water... it is that you shouldnt drink that much water during acute dehydration. Drink all the water you want to prevent dehydration. It is just in that "I am already dehydrated" phase that gatorade makes a difference. It sounds like you never get to that stage

I guess I don't understand why I don't get dehydrated? About the only water I ever drink is what slips by when I brush my teeth and the tiny amount when taking my morning meds, lol. I drink a pot of coffee in the morning and then beer on the course. I might drink a Coke with dinner. I'm either on the course or the boat about all the time, generally the hotest part of the day. I never seem to get that dizzy, light headed feeling, but will wear down although I am 50 years old.

I would word that a little different
If it's clear you are drinking enough water!

Sometimes. But normal color is a pale yellow. Even if it looks clear coming out, the water in the bowl will likely change color. Clear can be OK, but it is also a sign of getting overhydrated.

Sometimes. But normal color is a pale yellow. Even if it looks clear coming out, the water in the bowl will likely change color. Clear can be OK, but it is also a sign of getting overhydrated.

I don't think there is really any such thing- "water toxicity" happens when you dilute out your electrolytes to unsafe levels. That is tough to do under normal circumstances. In addition to golf I also backpack a lot and my general rule is that if it is not clear I am not drinking enough. I think this goes back to the strenous exercise thing though too. Under backpacking conditions I would rather be taking in too much fluid and having to pee a lot vs not drinking enough and having dehydration issues 70 miles into a 100 mile hike.

(Tag smalls- your it!)

(Tag smalls- your it!)

That's all I got Gus! I just happened to catch an episode of "The Doctors" where they discussed this.

I think it's also important to keep some kind of snack with you too. I always have lots and lots of water and usually some sort of granola bar or energy bar just something to offer me some nourishment as well.

same here GG I usually bring some peanuts or some fruit or trail mix or all three sometimes.

(this may have been mentioned already)

Also important is to drink plenty after the round as well. Just becuase you feel fine during a round, that doesn't mean you can't dehydrate when you get home and sit on the couch. I have know people to feel fine during and after, then miserable the day after because they didn't drink enough water at home.

Just plain water. Nothing else.

What else do you need to know?

I guess I don't understand why I don't get dehydrated?

How humid is it where you live? I did not have a problem with dehydration until moving to humid TX.

Hydrating with water never seems to be enough, so I now carry Nuun tablets in my bag to add to water.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1025851_-1_1512506_20000_400030

Also to all the Ice Tea lovers, I thought the Tea was a diuretic and helped contribute to water loss?

Final comment, how can you have "unsweetened" tea, it does not start sweet :)

How humid is it where you live? I did not have a problem with dehydration until moving to humid TX.

Hydrating with water never seems to be enough, so I now carry Nuun tablets in my bag to add to water.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1025851_-1_1512506_20000_400030

Also to all the Ice Tea lovers, I thought the Tea was a diuretic and helped contribute to water loss?

Final comment, how can you have "unsweetened" tea, it does not start sweet :)

Caffeine is a diuretic, and some tea's have caffeine. Most Iced-Tea's are just fine. I personally don't find them appealing when I am that warm/tired, but they taste good afterwards in a nice cool clubhouse. An 'Arnold Palmer' might be my favorite post round beverage (of a non alcoholic variety)

We put frozen bottles of water in the freezer the night before, lasts a full round. Also, we'll get a Gatorade and drink that as well. Sometimes there's that snack/drink cart driving around the course if not, then usually for the back 9 we'll grab something else to drink.

Water, water and more water. I also drink a lot crystal light. I drink it on my way to the golf course and while warming up. I usually take a drink or two after each shot. If you find that you have to pee every couple of holes, you are drinking enough.

Once you get dehydrated, it's too late and you usually don't know until it's too late, like there aren't any warning signs.

Be careful out there buddy.

I was feeling the heat yesterday. After our first 9 holes I drank 5 glasses of ice water and a gatorade. Then after the round I put down a "double" gatorade ( 32oz bottle) and a 1 liter bottle of water. I was not feeling dehydrated but like Biggsy says, there are no warning signs, better to be safe then sorry.

I was feeling the heat yesterday. After our first 9 holes I drank 5 glasses of ice water and a gatorade. Then after the round I put down a "double" gatorade ( 32oz bottle) and a 1 liter bottle of water. I was not feeling dehydrated but like Biggsy says, there are no warning signs, better to be safe then sorry.

It def. was hot playing golf yesterday. Drank few glasses of iced tea and water and had a gatorade for the rest of the round!

Water, water, and more water. Before, during and after the round. I drink at least 12oz after every hole on those beastly hot and humid days and like biggsy said, if you're peeing a lot that's a good thing.

I will remember to try to play ahead of any group containing biggsy and thanks in Florida

I actually start drinking water the night before my round as well as the morning of. Living in south Louisiana, it's normal to have 90+ humidity to go along with the 90+ degree heat.
I also like to freeze some Vitamin Waters the night before and take them with me on the course. They thaw out as I play and turn into a lovely icy mix of orangey goodness...

Back