CT/MA/RI - Do you play through the winter?

jbb2388

Choose wisely
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Obviously not when snow is on the ground, but assuming a mild winter with little snow cover will you tee it up if say temps get up to 50's or do you just completely shut it down once the snow flies? I am considering pressing on through the winter this year when possible. Seems mild weather will continue here for at least a few more weeks so I am still hell bent on continuing to play. Interested in finding some THP friends next season as well if anyone is interested. Cheers.

I'm one of the lucky ones who can play year around. We average 337 days of sunshine a year the weather gal says.

Maybe a few days, (Jan - Feb) when it's too cold, with a wind chill factor to play, I will stay home.

I will play in the 30s if the sun is out and there's no wind.

I'm one of the lucky ones who can play year around. We average 337 days of sunshine a year the weather gal says.

Maybe a few days, (Jan - Feb) when it's too cold, with a wind chill factor to play, I will stay home.

I will play in the 30s if the sun is out and there's no wind.
But you dont live in the states he has asking about? :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

I've played in December and February before if the temps and winds are bearable. I've got a few courses around me that are open year round, however for me I find that the rounds don't tend to be all that great since I haven't been able to swing on a regular basis. I'll go into it with the mindset of it being bonus golf and enjoying being out there.

For the most part though, I don't mind the layoff. It gives me time to focus on some other hobbies, catch up on reading, play my drums & guitars more, work on fitness, etc.

lol, still appreciate the reply WLG (y)

Winter golf would be a long ride to get down to the Cape. Never have done it but a friend just moved down there. Got out for 18 today and was thinking this might be it for the year.

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too. The upcoming weather forecast has gotten decidedly worse than the unseasonable 60-70s we've been enjoying. I played Sunday and it was 62 degrees at 8am when we teed off. Very unusual for a week into November here. Hoping for a mild winter.

This year I anticipate being able to play well into December. Snow aside, I won't play when the temperature is below 45* and/or if the ground is frozen.

My general rule is I don't play when its in the low 50's. I don't need to be miserable and Sucking all at the same time.
The Cold just makes everything hurt. Sucks getting old.

I played in Nov this year and I played in Jan 2 years ago. If there are nice days I will take the MotoCaddy out.

I don't need to be miserable and Sucking all at the same time.

Laughed out loud at this. :ROFLMAO:

For years I didn't play when it started getting cold. This year I feel more into it and I imagine when the new clubs arrive I will be hell bent to get out and try them. Hoping for a mild winter with little snow. Can't wait to retire and head south for the winter! :p

If there's a course open. I'll play occasionally. Goal is to cover every month.

I'm in CT. and will play year-round weather permitting.

I picked up a pair of winter weather golf gloves to use and a nice quality base layer top.

Yes, I will play. The only exception is if the greens are frozen.

I imagine the weather is slightly more temperate in PA
In Pa now but 30 years in CT endeavoring to do monthly play. I'd often drive to NJ or fly south also. But was rare to accomplish 12 month play just in CT.

In Pa now but 30 years in CT endeavoring to do monthly play. I'd often drive to NJ or fly south also. But was rare to accomplish 12 month play just in CT.

Yeah been in CT 42 years myself. Would be tough just finding a course open in Jan/Feb let alone enduring the 20/30 degree temps and frozen turf to play year round. I'll meet you down in PA in March! :LOL:

Yeah been in CT 42 years myself. Would be tough just finding a course open in Jan/Feb let alone enduring the 20/30 degree temps and frozen turf to play year round. I'll meet you down in PA in March! :LOL:
Shennie and old Banner Lodge Haddam were open the most.

I pretty much wrap up my season by Thanksgiving. I'll play in November if the weather is still nice (50+ degrees) but once the ground freezes and the temp drops I take a nice little break. A couple buddies and I will continue playing simulator golf each week but that's mostly to get out of the house and drink a few beers. I have a couple co-workers that continue to play outside through the winter, they bring a hammer and ice pick to get their tees in the ground - No. Thank. You.

Enjoy Shennie. Not familiar with the other.
It's a crap course. Now called Black Birch. They will be open when virtually nobody else is. Blackledge and Tallwood are decent and open often when others aren't.

Shennie and old Banner Lodge Haddam were open the most.

LOVE Shennecossett! Definitely want to get back there next season. Had to google Banner as I've never heard of it. Looks like it may now be Black Birch GC???

A couple buddies and I will continue playing simulator golf each week but that's mostly to get out of the house and drink a few beers.

Where is that? Pretty sure there is something similar opening in Southington which would be great.

It's a crap course. Now called Black Birch. They will be open when virtually nobody else is. Blackledge and Tallwood are decent and open often when others aren't.

Haven't played those in years. Almost right next to each other if I recall. Recall liking Blackledge better

Back