All our offices up here focus on Oil & Gas since that's what we do in Calgary!
How do you with CPAs feel about international demand/possibility to move?
I've always been told that a CA from Canada can move almost anywhere EXCEPT the US. Do you get told that you can't really go anywhere?

No - US CPAs are in heavy demand around the globe and can go anywhere. I did have a sr. manager who's secondment was squashed by the firm because it was done thru the back channels and not the international/national office, and the location wasn't deemed a high enough priority (they did offer him the opportunity to go to one of the high priority locations, but he declined). Most of the people I know did secondments in London, Germany, Hong Kong, Korea and Australia but there certainly were opportunities elsewere. The biggest issue with some locations is the language barriors.

KPMG pays overtime up here - to a certain extent. And then you get other benefits sent your way.

Didn't that come out from a lawsuit a few years back? There is currently a similar suit in California against PwC for back OT pay for staff.

I think some of the folks I talked to from Europe said they receive comp time for working OT (along with a company paid car) - but their compensation is generally much lower.

My wife is studying for the CPA now. She has already passed two parts, waiting on the results for the third and studying for the fourth. In my opinion, it's quite nice. She wants me out of the house while she's studying so I don't bother her. That just means more golf for me.

No - US CPAs are in heavy demand around the globe and can go anywhere. I did have a sr. manager who's secondment was squashed by the firm because it was done thru the back channels and not the international/national office, and the location wasn't deemed a high enough priority (they did offer him the opportunity to go to one of the high priority locations, but he declined). Most of the people I know did secondments in London, Germany, Hong Kong, Korea and Australia but there certainly were opportunities elsewere. The biggest issue with some locations is the language barriors.

Ah sweet, maybe it's just CAs from Canada who can't go to the US because of the different approaches to a lot of things. I know they say to not become a CA based on travel, but they also do push the fact that you can be sent to London, Australia, Norway, Russia, and so on.

Didn't that come out from a lawsuit a few years back? There is currently a similar suit in California against PwC for back OT pay for staff.

I think some of the folks I talked to from Europe said they receive comp time for working OT (along with a company paid car) - but their compensation is generally much lower.

Yes it did come from a lawsuit. They still push it in their recruiting though :D

hate to bum a post off the OP, but those of you working in big firms... looking for a general idea what people are making.

my wife is a CPA, has 6 years experience, and has a masters in accounting. we live in st. louis and she works for a small firm, 20 people, and her pay is low i think.

last year she made 55 i believe. maybe lower.

Aces, that seems a bit low for the St. Louis market. St. Louis has a few 'mid size' firms that that have a decent infrastructure, yet not have the Big 4 feel. RubinBrown, Brown Smith Wallace, BKD, LarsonAllen come to mind. It might be worth it to explore those if your wife wants to do a bit of 'shopping around'.

Back