Could or would you armlock?

I got in another 18 this weekend and had 31 putts again. Anytime I have less than 32 putts, I am happy. I also had another birdie putt of about 25 feet. This thing is amazing so far.

Reactions: KEV
I can’t do it, anybody need a LH one? 😬

So when I played in the 90’s-early 2000’s I had a massive case of the yips. Went to the broom and resolved it. Now coming back to golf after 18 year break I immediately had the yips with the short stick. Recently bought an armlock and giving it a try. Too early to tell.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So when I played in the 90’s-early 2000’s I had a massive case of the yips. Went to the broom and resolved it. Now coming back to golf after 18 year break I immediately had the yips with the short stick. Recently bought an armlock and giving it a try. Too early to tell.....

Good luck with it.

This is what happens when you make unprincipled decisions, which is exactly what happened with the so-called anchor ban. It seems clear that what the USGA wanted to do was eliminate the long and belly putters. But they had deemed them USGA approved for over 40 years. So if they went after the equipment, they'd be left wide open to lawsuits from club manufacturers.

So, they tried to get cute. The USGA doesn't do cute.

In point of fact, the USGA did a some anchoring ban, while calling it an anchoring ban.

The long putter was not eliminated. Anyone who can't hold a 1 1/2 pound putter in front of their chest is a wimp.

The arm lock has given the belly putter new life, even if every mechanical engineer knows this creates an anchor point at the shoulder socket.

Again, this is what happens when you make unprincipled decisions.

Congrats Tenputt on your putting.
I think I will go with 40". What degree of bend would you suggest?
If it is a true armlock, it likely will have somewhere around 7 degrees of loft. I read that Bettinardis have 5. My Cobra has 7, but then with the SIK face, the loft varies across the face. I would just make sure that you get a true armlock, rather than make one from a standard putter and you should be close to what works. Then it would be a matter of rolling it and seeing if the ball gets rolling smoothly quickly. Not enough loft, which is the risk, and the ball will be driven down into the putting surface and then jump, leaving you with a wobbly role.

This is what happens when you make unprincipled decisions, which is exactly what happened with the so-called anchor ban. It seems clear that what the USGA wanted to do was eliminate the long and belly putters. But they had deemed them USGA approved for over 40 years. So if they went after the equipment, they'd be left wide open to lawsuits from club manufacturers.

So, they tried to get cute. The USGA doesn't do cute.

In point of fact, the USGA did a some anchoring ban, while calling it an anchoring ban.

The long putter was not eliminated. Anyone who can't hold a 1 1/2 pound putter in front of their chest is a wimp.

The arm lock has given the belly putter new life, even if every mechanical engineer knows this creates an anchor point at the shoulder socket.

Again, this is what happens when you make unprincipled decisions.
It will be interesting to see how much traction the armlock gets. I used to see many belly putters back in the day. I have not seen one person using an armlock, other than myself.

Thanks Tenputt. It would be nice if the local golf store have a few to try out but they don't.
Bought the Taylormade long putter used for $35 and I don't really want to spend $400 for a putter that may not be for me.

Thanks Tenputt. It would be nice if the local golf store have a few to try out but they don't.
Bought the Taylormade long putter used for $35 and I don't really want to spend $400 for a putter that may not be for me.
I understand. There are many retailers who give you a try out period. You don’t get your money back, but at least it is not money permanently sunk into something that won’t work for you.

Thanks Tenputt. I live in a small Canadian city and there unfortunately there is only one retailer. The custom club fitter may not be able to bend it.
I think he can just cut off 4" and leave the grip on. I can put hockey tape on the butt end like a hockey stick.

I can cut it, but not sure if I can bend it. How much does it need to be bent? Also, is it a 2-piece grip? If so, adjusting the grip position may be a challenge. Better bring it by so I can have a look.

I got in another 18 this weekend and had 31 putts again. Anytime I have less than 32 putts, I am happy. I also had another birdie putt of about 25 feet. This thing is amazing so far.

I think I saw the putter you bought at PGATSS yesterday and it sets up much better than the armlock I had. I didn't love the look of the putter head but overall the putter set up well and seemed like it could work without a massive custom fitting effort. It is more traditional than the Bryson armlock style that all hinges from the front shoulder.

Thanks Chef for your response. On the Bettinardi website it suggests 40" length, 5 degrees loft and 70 degrees lie angle for standard size.
I emailed Bettinardi and asked them what they suggest.

So worked on it the last two days and making progress. Had a local course pro work with me and not as severe a forward lean as others have suggested. Really starting to get my wrists out of the stroke as my problem was flipping the hands coming back through. Aim is a bit of a struggle,maybe as I’m not over the ball as much. But first things first, get the yips gone and then hone in the aim. Encouraged.

No arm lock but i did try the claw today. Interesting.

It will be interesting to see how much traction the armlock gets. I used to see many belly putters back in the day. I have not seen one person using an armlock, other than myself.
It's getting plenty of recent traction on the PGA and European Tour. My guess is that will lead to more traction elsewhere.

It's getting plenty of recent traction on the PGA and European Tour. My guess is that will lead to more traction elsewhere.
I don’t doubt you a bit. Honestly, I would have never tried, but for seeing Bryson and some others using it. I was on a practice green today and, my word, I have never dropped so many 15 to 20 foot putts.

I just picked up an odyssey v-line armlock and going to give it a go. I have to cut it down and was wondering if anyone has used the jumbo max 17 inch arm lock grip and if so did you install it so the flat spot is against your forearm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up an odyssey v-line armlock and going to give it a go. I have to cut it down and was wondering if anyone has used the jumbo max 17 inch arm lock grip and if so did you install it so the flat spot is against your forearm?

I have this grip on the SIK DW that just showed up for me. That grip was a huge selling point for that putter and after comparing to the stock grip of the Odyssey Big 7 arm lock it feels so much better and easier to lock against my arm. I didn't install it though so I can really help there.

I have this grip on the SIK DW that just showed up for me. That grip was a huge selling point for that putter and after comparing to the stock grip of the Odyssey Big 7 arm lock it feels so much better and easier to lock against my arm. I didn't install it though so I can really help there.

Is it installed like a conventional grip or like I believe Bryson does, spun like a quarter turn so the flat spot which would normally be the top against your forearm

Is it installed like a conventional grip or like I believe Bryson does, spun like a quarter turn so the flat spot which would normally be the top against your forearm

It's turned so the flat spot presses up against my forearm. It seems to work perfectly in that setup, for me and my little chicken arms anyway.

I also have this grip on my Betti with the flat side towards my forearm. Works great and feels much better than other types in the store.

I still want to try this. I’m curious now. I’ve done a season left handed, and another left hand low, one with the claw as well…so this would be totally educational :LOL:

Reactions: KEV
I received an email from the custom fitter who modified my TM Ghost long putter. I haven't picked it up yet. His reply is below.

I have shortened the putter and bent it to try to increase the loft. The lie is now about 72, and the putter is 40 inches. But the loft is manufactured into the putter face, so bending the shaft produces a weird effect without substantially increasing the loft. You need to see it to understand.

Anybody know what to do? I think it may need more loft. I asked him to bend it to 7 degrees.

Back