Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think total deaths per pop is far more telling than confirmed cases and main reason is that not at all is everyone tested. But death is death regardless how many been tested. So since everyone is not being tested its the death toll that has to hold more value imo.
But then again, it depends upon whether they're being uniform in how they're reporting deaths. If one country is reporting anybody who's ever been near anybody who heard of the 'Rona as a COVID-related death and one is sticking to reporting people who, you know, actually died as a result of it, comparing the stats isn't going to yield any useful information. Or if one is purposely under reporting for propaganda reasons (see China, Peoples Republic of), their stats aren't even worth consideration.

I'm not saying that's what is happening with the Scandinavian countries, because I don't know for sure whether it's the case or not. It could be a valid comparison, or it could be 'garbage in, garbage out'. Just food for thought.

But then again, it depends upon whether they're being uniform in how they're reporting deaths. If one country is reporting anybody who's ever been near anybody who heard of the 'Rona as a COVID-related death and one is sticking to reporting people who, you know, actually died as a result of it, comparing the stats isn't going to yield any useful information. Or if one is purposely under reporting for propaganda reasons (see China, Peoples Republic of), their stats aren't even worth consideration.

I'm not saying that's what is happening with the Scandinavian countries, because I don't know for sure whether it's the case or not. Just food for thought.
Quid est veritas?

I'm not saying that's what is happening with the Scandinavian countries, because I don't know for sure whether it's the case or not. Just food for thought.
yea I agree that no matter how we go about it the info is always skewed. I mean even when being honest different places state cause of death differently. But we still cannot count on total cases when not at all is everyone being tested. I speculate that here in the us we actually have millions already infected. I think (wiht no proof at all) just in NYC and surrounding areas alone the real number is in the millions.

there is one small positive during this SIP situation. We, as a family of four are having dinnertime together many evenings which is something we really havnt done much of since the kids were small. I mean both of us working throughout the years, the kids school and sports, and about a hundred other reasons those family daily togetherness dinners have basically dropped to only Sundays if at all. And so this daily dinnertime togetherness is a little bit of a blessing in disguise. Its just one small good thing inside a whole bunch of bad situation.

One thing that has been mine and my wife’s rule since married (going 25 years now), we always eat together as a family. The boys knew if not at college we all eat dinner together. We have been lucky not to have anyone working a second or third shift. But, neither sports, work, my school and other board commitments, nor anything else would keep that from happening. If we had to wait till 8pm or so we did.

I know probably too old fashion.

One thing that has been mine and my wife’s rule since married (going 25 years now), we always eat together as a family. The boys knew if not at college we all eat dinner together. We have been lucky not to have anyone working a second or third shift. But, neither sports, work, my school and other board commitments, nor anything else would keep that from happening. If we had to wait till 8pm or so we did.

Imo for many reasons we need a lot more of the "old fashion" :giggle:. Im totally with ya on that.

No such thing as "too old fashion".
A lot of valuable customs have been lost to "new fashion". Kids don't make their beds. Our grandkids are allowed to eat dinner in front of the TV, and not at a family setting at the table. My kids were not raised that way, and it baffles me that they're bringing up theirs like this.....

Edit: After posting the above, my mind kept going.
Grandkids are allowed to jump on the couch, play with $1000.00 smartphones, (which my wife lets them do, and hers got dropped and cracked the screen), stay up til 11pm on a regular basis. Disregard their parents demands (ok, requests) to stop doing something, and the parent just keeps asking, instead of parenting and making them comply. Ask, Tell, Make.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Serious question, anyone else have friends in the medical field being furloughed? I've had several that are sitting at home waiting for this thing to either kick off or return to normal so they can go back to work. My wife has had 2 Dr appointments in the last month and she was the only patient all day. I'm not doubting the seriousness of this, just don't know that we're being told the truth.

Serious answer: yes.

I’m a pediatrician. I was told by my hospital in January that my contract wouldn’t be renewed at the end of June. While this was pre-COVID, trying to search for a new job has been almost impossible. Almost every place that I have inquired at is either laying people off or in a hiring freeze. Obviously, I’m not alone in this, but unemployment is quickly approaching, and it’s not a good feeling.

Outside of my world, I know that the smaller clinics are really getting hit hard. The clinics that are affiliated with bigger hospitals/medical systems are a bit more insulated, but they are also feeling monetary pressures.

I’m a pediatrician. I was told by my hospital in January that my contract wouldn’t be renewed at the end of June. While this was pre-COVID, trying to search for a new job has been almost impossible. Almost every place that I have inquired at is either laying people off or in a hiring freeze. Obviously, I’m not alone in this, but unemployment is quickly approaching, and it’s not a good feeling.

Outside of my world, I know that the smaller clinics are really getting hit hard. The clinics that are affiliated with bigger hospitals/medical systems are a bit more insulated, but they are also feeling monetary pressures.
Sorry to hear that, I'm sure it's not a good feeling. I think most hospitals are cutting staff around here. I think this is a centralized issue. At this point, we know who's most susceptible. Shouldn't we isolate the most vulnerable (self quarantine) and reopen the country. We've beaten the curve, engender the point of flattening the curve wasn't to avoid the entire country getting this disease, it was to lower infecting rate to the point of allowing the medical field/ supply chain to catch up. Even New York, the epicenter has yet to be overrun. No one has been without medical care because the supplies weren't there. We're reaching a tipping point, and it's time to open up.

I have a good friend that was laid off on Friday, he sold plates, screws, etc. used in trauma surgeries...

Basically said, “With the country locked down, no one is out during something stupid.”

Now faces re-entering the job market, with no one hiring. The down stream impacts of this lockdown strategy are impacting all segments of the economy (except for government).

I have had to lay off 5 people out of my 17. It sucks but I’m glad Trudeau has his pandemic pennies for them.

Sorry to hear that, I'm sure it's not a good feeling. I think most hospitals are cutting staff around here. I think this is a centralized issue. At this point, we know who's most susceptible. Shouldn't we isolate the most vulnerable (self quarantine) and reopen the country. We've beaten the curve, engender the point of flattening the curve wasn't to avoid the entire country getting this disease, it was to lower infecting rate to the point of allowing the medical field/ supply chain to catch up. Even New York, the epicenter has yet to be overrun. No one has been without medical care because the supplies weren't there. We're reaching a tipping point, and it's time to open up.
I think a lot of these open up protests are coming from people that have found themselves furloughed or laid off in a job market that isn’t functioning.

We have Health Officials making statements and influencing policy, but these officials are giving no thought to the economic side effects their recommendations will cause.

“Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours.”- Ronald Reagan

Last edited:
The person who I was responding to stated that people would be incarcerated and held....I didn’t see that in the article but I may have overlooked it.
That’s not really the point. The question was essentially how testing would work if people in a free society refused to get tested, and the answer is the government could force you to get tested or be banished to your home because you don’t have the proper papers from the government allowing you to move freely in public. The fact that this is even being discussed, especially in the US, should scare the living hell out of people. The fact that it doesn’t speaks volumes about the kind of future we face in this country. This is playing out much like our war on terror, where our hysterical panic and fear of the boogeyman (or boogeyvirus) will cause us to self-inflict far more damage than the threat ever posed. Murrow once said “We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men.” Somewhere between then and now we’ve become a nation of fearful men (and women) driven by that fear into an age of unreason. That’s the real danger we face, not some virus.

Last edited:
I work in an essential healthcare business. We are largely brick and mortar. It was shocking to see how quickly we were forced to scale back operations despite being essential. I would love to see the rebound be just as dramatic, but I’m not overly optimistic that will be the case.

That’s not really the point. The question was essentially how testing would work if people in a free society refused to get tested, and the answer is the government could force you to get tested or be banished to your home because you don’t have the proper papers from the government allowing you to move freely in public. The fact that this is even being discussed, especially in the US, should scare the living hell out of people. The fact that it doesn’t speaks volumes about the kind of future we face in this country. This is playing out much like our war on terror, where our hysterical panic and fear of the boogeyman (or boogeyvirus) will cause us to self-inflict far more damage than the threat ever posed. Murrow once said “We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men.” Somewhere between then and now we’ve become a nation of fearful men (and women) driven by that fear into an age of unreason. That’s the real danger we face, not some virus.
The pioneer spirit has been replaced by trigger warnings and safe spaces.

For anyone that wants to geek out on some science, I found this video very good

Some people, I can’t with this guy...
As soon as they are playing Football & Baseball again, I’m going.
Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison play the Bridgestone in the Fall? In...

Alan Jackson is playing at The Grand Ole Opry? In...

A crazy man in a Fedora hits a point of a 4, paying the pass line & resenting the point? I’m still hugging him.

If you want to surrender our way of life, move to France, because they are used to surrendering... We don’t...

Hey everyone, THIS THING HAS JUST STARTED!!!! It's April.

All conclusions made are premature. We haven't had something like this in 100 years. Testing is the logical next step and wisest way to reopen the economy. Distancing, testing, treatments and vaccines. We're only at step one right now and the consequences of step one are dire to be sure. Less dire than dead though.

I played over the line in NY yesterday and I was surprised/disappointed to see a number of people socially congregating after their rounds with drinks on the porch. It was pretty much just a bar scene. Cripes, if we're gonna get golf back we have to agree to lose some of the camaraderie. Show up, golf and go home.

Today I was really wanting to play golf. But just about every course that is open around here is booked solid. Honestly this really bothers me. They have 9 min tee times and 4 somes. Due to rain everything is cart path only. The courses will be jammed up and there will be 2 and 3 groups waiting on every tee box.

As much as I want to play, social distancing under this scenario is tough and its just not worth a round of golf. I know that my likelihood of exposure is about as close to zero as you can get but it’s more about the principle. I can’t wait for all this to pass.

Hey everyone, THIS THING HAS JUST STARTED!!!! It's April.

All conclusions made are premature. We haven't had something like this in 100 years. Testing is the logical next step and wisest way to reopen the economy. Distancing, testing, treatments and vaccines. We're only at step one right now and the consequences of step one are dire to be sure. Less dire than dead though.

I played over the line in NY yesterday and I was surprised/disappointed to see a number of people socially congregating after their rounds with drinks on the porch. It was pretty much just a bar scene. Cripes, if we're gonna get golf back we have to agree to lose some of the camaraderie. Show up, golf and go home.
I just saw this - see my post above. This is exactly why i cannot bring myself to play today. I know how golfers are.

I just saw this - see my post above. This is exactly why i cannot bring myself to play today. I know how golfers are.

I was able to avoid it as it was an outside gathering but yeah, I share your concern deeply.

The County I live in does an incredible job of reporting and providing stats. With a population approaching 1 million, we've had 639 cases with 446 totally recovered. 24 are currently hospitalized. Total deaths are 16 and 9 of those were from one nursing home! Hospital bed utilization in total, for all causes, is 47.6%, ventilator usage 36.1%, ICU bed utilization 48.5%. They also detail every confirmed case, sex, age, underlying conditions or not, etc., and I am extremely encouraged by the number of people with underlying conditions who have recovered. Having underlying conditions and catching this virus is not necessarily a death warrant.

Not seeing that at all at my course. The clubhouse is obviously closed and even the rest rooms are off limits. No outside seating is provided. At most, a couple of guys might grab a can of beer and stand appropriately apart before heading home. Me, I skip the beer.

Recently I listened to a conference call including management of a medical equipment company. Much of the talk was about hospitals postponing elective surgery procedures.
If you don't mind, please help me understand the definition of elective surgery.

Sunday is fun day! Taking my immune system to the golf course in a few hours for a good workout. Walking 36 on a beautiful spring day.

Hope everyone finds a productive activity for your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back