Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
AT&T lost 900,000 tv subscribers in the 1st quarter.
It's really tough for me to argue the coronavirus caused people to drop cable TV. If people are stuck in their house watching TV, but they're dropping your TV product then your TV product sucks. It does bolster my argument that ESPN has been propping up networks like USA, TNT, FX, TBS, Discovery, etc for years. Sports disappear and a million people stop paying $90/month? That means ESPN would have no problems charging $20-$30 month for their product a la carte'.

a walk-on joined my playing partner and myself yesterday who seemed to be a covid-19 non-believer. Talked a whole lot and wanted to get close...then asked me to try out his new grips....wtf!

If Whitmer can allow non-essential businesses to open for pickup and delivery then Ducey has no freaking reason not to relax some restrictions on Monday.

Oregon allows non-essential surgeries starting May 1.

This is a thread about COVID19. The President suggested a couple of strategies for attacking the virus. Plenty of folks here have wanted to talk about Hydroxychloroquine. Should we not discuss his other suggested cures?

I find today's suggestions appallingly misguided and dangerous and I think that there are folks in that room who should have called him out at that very moment. It was reckless, and I would think that it would be hard for anyone to support what was said today, regardless of poitical considerations. I'd be interested to hear other points of view.
As many of you know, my wife takes Hydroxychloroquine for Lupus, and has off and on for years.
According to her Rheumatologist, Hydroxychloroquine needs to be used in conjunction with Zinc, and studies that don’t include Zinc w/ Hydroxychloroquine , I’m going to be very dubious of trusting...

I read an article this morning about a nurse from Huntsville, AL that came up to Boston to work for a few weeks on a COVID unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. This one sentence reminded me of why this feels very different based on where you live:

“To date, with just 5,572 positive tests, the entire state of Alabama has registered fewer coronavirus cases than Suffolk County alone.”

Suffolk County contains all of Boston as well as 3 surrounding towns. It is only 58 square miles of land. Alabama is over 50000 square miles of land.

I hope people don’t take this as being political. It simultaneously made me laugh and realize we are all screwed.

Boom, spread the word! We are going to look into these ASAP!

Come on guys

I read an article this morning about a nurse from Huntsville, AL that came up to Boston to work for a few weeks on a COVID unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. This one sentence reminded me of why this feels very different based on where you live:

“To date, with just 5,572 positive tests, the entire state of Alabama has registered fewer coronavirus cases than Suffolk County alone.”

Suffolk County contains all of Boston as well as 3 surrounding towns. It is only 58 square miles of land. Alabama is over 50000 square miles of land.

What is an inconvenience (relatively speaking) in Alabama, is a huge deal in the Northeast. No doubt.

I had already assumed PA courses were still closed as RPP confirmed, but you can go up to NY state and play.

Yeah, Rockland county isn't too far. Philip J. Rotella and Spook Rock look good.

Yeah, Rockland county isn't too far. Philip J. Rotella and Spook Rock look good.
You’ll have to double check those courses as they are both munis. I’m pretty sure the amendment provided for privately owned courses only. Maybe check out Mansion Ridge or NY Country Club.

Discussion of suggested treatments should be possible.

I think we've learned that only doctors should suggest possible treatments. Some idiot in AZ thought hydroxy... phosphate, which is fish tank cleaner, was hydroxychloro... the anti-marial drug - he and his wife ingested it. He died, she is critical. Lesson - let the docs talk medicine.

We hope so if not sooner.
I speculate he is tying golf to general parks and refuses to separate them. I think there was too much poor practicing of social distancing on display in many parks early on and is what originally triggered the closing of it all.
Its almost like everyone is to suffer due the irresponsibility of a small percentage. I mean isnt that usually the truth with just about anything we normally do during regular times? Always adding more and more rule and regs to our enjoyments making them less enjoyable always due to the small percentage of those who ruin it.

But it seems to me he doesn't want to discriminate the open landscape of parks from children play ground or other areas of the parks where crowds can form nor see golf as the totally separate thing that it is. Its almost as though....."hey, you all get it all or no one gets anything kind of thing.

Its also possible that he is not a golfer and doesnt understand how easily the game conforms to good distancing practices almost on its own.
Or its also possible he is a golfer and is avoiding opening the courses separate from parks so as not be accused of personal bias.

I agree with this and fear he's going to add the beaches/shore to the mix.

I think we've learned that only doctors should suggest possible treatments. Some idiot in AZ thought hydroxy... phosphate, which is fish tank cleaner, was hydroxychloro... the anti-marial drug - he and his wife ingested it. He died, she is critical. Lesson - let the docs talk medicine.
I understand the desire to "find something that works". Hell, that's what most people are doing right now in their labs, in the hospitals, and in video calls with collaborators. Leave no stone unturned, no matter how outlandish it might seem. Serendipity can claim her fair share of discoveries.

The place you don't spitball, IMO, these theories is a televised gathering where potentially millions are watching. So while I don't mind him asking these questions, no matter how outlandish they may seem on their face, because they may trigger some avenue of thought that may show promise ... please, please, please save it for the situational meetings/reports with your staff who are actively pursuing all avenues. Save the actual medical advances for the televised events. YMMV.

Peer-reviewed data to be published on this soon from Healight and there partners at Cedars-Sinai.

So serious question here.

Were the shelter in place orders and social distancing supposed to flatten the curve by prolonging the time frame of people getting infected to help ensure hospital capacity was there or to eliminate COVID19?

I feel like rhetoric about the shelter in place has changed a lot this past week as I look back at the messaging from March to now as we enter May.

Were the shelter in place orders and social distancing supposed to flatten the curve by prolonging the time frame of people getting infected to help ensure hospital capacity was there or to eliminate COVID19?

I feel like rhetoric about the shelter in place has changed a lot this past week as I look back at the messaging from March to now as we enter May.
The former. (ensure hospital capacity).

What changed about shelter in place this past week?

What changed about shelter in place this past week?

For my state several removals have occurred today and more Monday for actual changes.

Mine is more a question on the question on the purpose of the shelter in place orders.

Not sure if this had been posted before or not. Interesting viewpoint. I enjoy seeing info like this from people actually working with it vs. politicians during press conferences, or the news media who love to use shock and awe tactics to create their headlines.

On an unrelated note, am I crazy, or does the dark haired guy look like he's wearing a hair piece?

Not sure if this had been posted before or not. Interesting viewpoint. I enjoy seeing info like this from people actually working with it vs. politicians during press conferences, or the news media who love to use shock and awe tactics to create their headlines.

On an unrelated note, am I crazy, or does the dark haired guy look like he's wearing a hair piece?

To my it looks like @j_sizzle9 with a wig on.

A little too much of a swoop on the front there.....sure looks like a wig or accessory of some sort.

It's interesting how places that had more restrictions, that are now being lifted, has influenced my area, where there weren't as many, in the last couple days. Much more lax in attitude and behavior. There are at least 25 people at my gym right now (supposedly still on no more than 10 restriction), which is about as busy as I've ever seen it even before covid.

I believe the initial impetus was to flatten the curve so hospitals could manage the virus.

I thought we'd start national testing so we know who has had it, obtain better info, and track people.

Because so many are asymptomatic, you can't get rid of the virus until we have a vaccine or antibody treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back