DH27

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
About 15
OK a local course is charging a corkage fee to golf. A little background about the course. They have always had money problems. It is a very well designed track that opened a year to early. It has never been maintained well due to cash flow. Tee times are booked every eight minutes and a typical round can last over 5 hours. In the 18 years it has been opened I have never seen a starter or a ranger.

9DEB4560-9EFA-4AE0-BC79-04CD8219E4EC.jpeg

That's a rip. They want to take money from people who do not drink alcohol (most people don't want to wait around for a refund and to provide evidence of not drinking) and of course, those who bring their own alcohol.

If they did not, they'd just charge a little more for alcohol.

I'd not play that course.

I thought it was some kind of April Fools joke. But if not, yeah, they can go blank, blank, lol.

So I’m assuming the breathalyzer is reusable, with changeable tips, so what happens when this cheap Course gets cheaper and just wipes them down or not at all and people catch something?

Sounds like they have quite a problem with people bringing in outside alcohol.

That sounds too ridiculous and confusing and very difficult for them to properly and fairly administer their rules.

In MI it is illegal to bring in outside alcohol.

So we are discreet.....

I saw this. I’ve only played there once and I was not impressed at all. I thought I remember them trying to charge insane rates to young players (like over $75) a year or two ago. At best it’s a $35 course.

So as a non-drinker I have to pay $5 extra as a deposit because drinkers are sneaking booze on the course and then pay $1 when I'm finished to buy a breathalyzer to prove that I didn't drink during the round to get my $5 back? This seems like a pro just got angry one day and came up with a stupid rule on the fly.

This is a perfect example of an owner trying to make a point, rather than it being about the money. If it was about the money lost, they would just raise rates $5 and while some would b*tch, others would just pay it and go

I saw this. I’ve only played there once and I was not impressed at all. I thought I remember them trying to charge insane rates to young players (like over $75) a year or two ago. At best it’s a $35 course.

They were trying to charge $100 because supposedly younger players were trashing the place. I used to play there a lot when the twilight rate after 5 was $19. People found out and now it is crowded, slow and kind of unfriendly.

This is a perfect example of an owner trying to make a point, rather than it being about the money. If it was about the money lost, they would just raise rates $5 and while some would b*tch, others would just pay it and go
As of last year, the corkage fee existed but would only be added if you brought your own alcohol. Now it is part of every booking.

Most of the courses around have signs stating no outside alcohol but this is the only course that has ever charged some kind of fee for it

They were trying to charge $100 because supposedly younger players were trashing the place. I used to play there a lot when the twilight rate after 5 was $19. People found out and now it is crowded, slow and kind of unfriendly.
That makes sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why they’re deciding to do this as well.

My guess is the corkage fee is somehow a way to keep things straight with ABC laws. Try translating that crap.

As of last year, the corkage fee existed but would only be added if you brought your own alcohol. Now it is part of every booking.

Most of the courses around have signs stating no outside alcohol but this is the only course that has ever charged some kind of fee for it
Yup. It’s making a point.

I guess I can see it when you have a liquor license, full bar etc and the people playing the course are bringing in their own beer/booze to drink while on course. I'd personally just consider it a $5 increase because I'm very likely going to forget to go back in and get my refund and even more likely that I'm not going to take a breathalyzer. 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t play there. Plenty of other courses to play.

Odd way to make a point.

I guess I can see it when you have a liquor license, full bar etc and the people playing the course are bringing in their own beer/booze to drink while on course. I'd personally just consider it a $5 increase because I'm very likely going to forget to go back in and get my refund and even more likely that I'm not going to take a breathalyzer. 🤷‍♂️
I would demand that they elucidate their probable cause for the breathalyzer.
I would also want evidence of recent calibration of said device by a certified agency.
My mere presence on the course is not sufficient reason to hold my money hostage.

Actually I just wouldn't ever golf there..... and I very seldom drink on the course as it is.

Last edited:
I would demand that the elucidate their probable cause for the breathalyzer.
I would also want evidence of recent calibration of said device by a certified agency.
My mere presence on the course is not sufficient reason to hold my money hostage.

Actually I just wouldn't ever golf there..... and I very seldom drink on the course as it is.
That's taking $6.00 a little too far for me- do I understand what you're saying? Yep sure do- but it's $6.00 and I'm not going to go through that level of inquiry for that little amount of money. So for me, if I really want to play- I'll just give em the $6.00.

I ‘ve never been a fan of being forced to prove I DIDN’T do something wrong. The practice of BYOB does not fly in my province, but if it did, the way this course is handling it would have me looking elsewhere.

If the course is worth playing, No problem here. It does seem like they are addressing alcohol over consumption in a unique way.

Back