Confidence... Does it Ever Get You in Trouble?

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Confidence is a beautiful thing when I'm hitting the driver well, but at times I find myself trying to do things that just are not in my game. Anyone else see this issue in their game?

Case in point: yesterday I was just stroking the driver so long and straight, easy par on the first 6 holes. #7 was right down the middle left and a great drive, but one little finger of the serpentine rough caught my ball deep and I ended up bogey. But, #8 is a par 5 dogleg left. Super trouble both sides and I was convinced I could hit a baby draw around the corner. The ball went dead straight, through the fw and killed all chance of par. 3 wood and I was home safe, but in excitement with the driver a 3w never even crossed my mind.

Does it ever? Always

You betcha! I was playing yesterday and it was a par 5 with 245 left into the wind with clearing the water at 235. Pulled 3w instead of playing it safe since I had been crushing it at least 255/260 with it and what do ya know, splashdown. Sometimes it's just better and wiser to play it shot by shot, no matter what you've been doing that day or recently. I will say though, I almost had it.

In my mind I'm the best at everything! So yes, all the time.

You betcha! I was playing yesterday and it was a par 5 with 245 left into the wind with clearing the water at 235. Pulled 3w instead of playing it safe since I had been crushing it at least 255/260 with it and what do ya know, splashdown. Sometimes it's just better and wiser to play it shot by shot, no matter what you've been doing that day or recently. I will say though, I almost had it.

Wow, pretty sure I wouldn't go for that one, my driver don't hardly even go that far, lol. What gets me is I know a forced draw is inconsistent at best for me, but I try it with a great round on the line. Dumb!

My ego tells me I'm the best player on the course, and can do no wrong. My results tell me I'm not. I still follow my ego wayyyy too much.

Gets me in trouble a lot. Especially the round after a great round.

It does, when I get too aggressive sometimes. It's pretty annoying when I'm trying to go for a good score.

I've been playing with a little less risk, it's paying off. I'm not hitting the 260 yard shots to the green anymore, instead of that I'm laying up and leaving myself a shot to the green that I'm very comfortable hitting. Same with teeshots: I'm hitting the hybrid and 3/4 iron from the tee now.

Only thing is I seem to forget this on the last two or three holes of every round. That's where I seem to crash..

the problem arises when you mistake hard headedness for confidence!

Duey, you KNOW I do that, but usually it's just because I've ended up MAKING myself get into that position. Normally, if I'm playing good, I'm doing what's right in my mind, not my gut. I'm not saying I've never played a shot I shouldn't have, due to over confidence, but usually if I'm playing well I make myself take a step back before trying to pull off a shot I "might not have". Especially if there is money, or something like that on the line. Chances are I wouldn't take a gamble like that if I was in the Morgan Cup, unless my team mates think I should or talk me into it. lol

I'm a high HCer, and I'm terrible for this.

Chip out of the heavy rough onto the FW? Nah, I can reach the green from here with a 5i... Oh wait, I just buried my ball...

Yeah it happens start stripping the ball well and decide to go for a shot that I would of laid up on YEAH I'm guilty.

Call it confidence/arrogance/hard headedness or what have you I think it gets us all at times.

Yes, I try to pull shots out of my bum when I'm playing well, and usually bad things happen.

I've also said before: "The smart shot would be to lay up, but there are no stakes, so why play smart." Probably not a good way to lower the handicap.

I usually take an aggressive line with the driver. It was my most consistant club and I never had a second thought with it in my hand.

Thankfully overconfidence is not my problem. I usually play within my limits. Not that it pays huge rewards, but it sometimes cuts down on those high scores that can ruin a decent round.

Duey, you KNOW I do that, but usually it's just because I've ended up MAKING myself get into that position. Normally, if I'm playing good, I'm doing what's right in my mind, not my gut. I'm not saying I've never played a shot I shouldn't have, due to over confidence, but usually if I'm playing well I make myself take a step back before trying to pull off a shot I "might not have". Especially if there is money, or something like that on the line. Chances are I wouldn't take a gamble like that if I was in the Morgan Cup, unless my team mates think I should or talk me into it. lol

Ha, with your swing I'd go for everything, miles away or not, lol.

I usually take an aggressive line with the driver. It was my most consistant club and I never had a second thought with it in my hand.

I never could count on the driver consistently, so yea I think "no prob", wrong, haha. The forced draw will come, may be next year at this point, but I need it almost as often as a baby cut.

Yeah sometimes it gets the best of me as well. Like getting to a hole and thinking I can clear that tree, next thing hit it fat straight into it and have to punch out sideways wasting a shot.

Confidence is a must on the golf course. When I get protective of a good score and start playing it safe is when I usually start messing up. However, I have to admit that I make dumb decisions and ruin good rounds sometimes when I pin seek thinking every shot will be as good as they have been in that round. That stupid lunge of mine is going to eventually show up and get me in trouble.

I don't think confidence is ever bad. Its what you do with it that is

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I have this problem especially on par 5s. I used to always hit fairway wood to try to hit the green or close, now I hit a comfortable iron to set me up for an easy 3rd shot. The results are great.

In life, not just golf, bravery is often synonymous with stupidity.

In life, not just golf, bravery is often synonymous with stupidity.

To go along with that line there is also a saying that there is a thin line betwen genius and insanity lol. That being said after a beautiful drive on a par 5 i see the green and it is within the outer limits of what I can do with my 3 wood, guess which side of that line I normally end up on lol. Results are never good.

Confidence is a beautiful thing.

Overconfidence leads to trouble though. Overestimating your abilities causes real troubles in golf and causes loss of confidence.

maybe I need more competitive rounds to really get some perspective on the issue, but I tend to approach almost every round I play like it's a practice round. I'll hit driver or 3w almost regardless of the situation just because I want the reps in course conditions. I never try to carry something near my max carry distance though, since I know I'd probably Tin Cup it up instead of actually making it. Other shots, I'll try something if it seems possible - like going over a tree with a wedge or a flop shot to a shortside pin - just for the practice. I have no issue with taking my medicine and punch out or lay up, but I will screw those shots up just as easily too.

Back