julie_m

EveryoneLovesACallyGirl
Reaction score
God help me but after how many years of saying they're pampered and arrogant, I'm starting to get into college football. But I've never really watched it before...anyone have any thoughts on this season? BCS predictions to throw out there?
2039.gif

I can't stomach college football. Until they get a legitimate post-season process (8-team bracket, for example), I'm out. I'm not watching a sport where a computer determines who plays for the national championship.

We dont expect people in teh Northeast to be into college football. But Grogger I assure you if Uconn was a huge deal year after year, people would take notice. In FL college football is king. I went to FSU (team of the 90s) Golfer Gal went to UF (team of the 00's) a house divided for sure.

We dont expect people in teh Northeast to be into college football. But Grogger I assure you if Uconn was a huge deal year after year, people would take notice. In FL college football is king. I went to FSU (team of the 90s) Golfer Gal went to UF (team of the 00's) a house divided for sure.

College football IS actually a big deal in the Northeast. People love it. Then again, they also love NASCAR up here ... but there's no accounting for taste, now is there?

I can understand people routing for their alma mater or their state's major team (I went to Tufts and DIII football is atrocious). Find me one person, however, that thinks College football's postseason and the BCS process is a good one. I mean please ... could you have one more bowl game? The fact that 6-7 teams make a bowl is atrocious.

"Join us when Eastern Florida State takes on Northern Virginia Tech in the Depends Undergarment Bowl!" It's a joke.

Grogger as someone that has spent half their life in Boston and West Hartford, I assure you that college football is nothing up there like it is in the rest of the country. There just are not any good teams or big enough schools for people to root for. When Flutie was at BC that entire state was worked up into a frenzy. No computers doing the thing back then, but still no playoff either. Yet fans were everywhere.

You are right, they do need a playoff, but most of the time they get it right. But you can say the same thing for the biggest "tournament in the world" March Madness. Teams that win their conference tourny get auto in. Yet whatever they did all season means nothing. So in a smaller conference, if you win all year and lose in the coference tourny most of the time you dont get even invited into the dance. So it works both ways.

The best teams in the end get the glory. BCS or not. And because of the BCS, fans have something to talk about all year and after.

My school (Pittsburg State University) meets Northwest Missouri State in a 2nd round NCAA D2 PLAYOFF game next Saturday in Maryville, MO. A season-ending tournament is the only way to decide the National Champion.

Grogger as someone that has spent half their life in Boston and West Hartford, I assure you that college football is nothing up there like it is in the rest of the country. There just are not any good teams or big enough schools for people to root for. When Flutie was at BC that entire state was worked up into a frenzy. No computers doing the thing back then, but still no playoff either. Yet fans were everywhere.

You are right, they do need a playoff, but most of the time they get it right. But you can say the same thing for the biggest "tournament in the world" March Madness. Teams that win their conference tourny get auto in. Yet whatever they did all season means nothing. So in a smaller conference, if you win all year and lose in the coference tourny most of the time you dont get even invited into the dance. So it works both ways.

The best teams in the end get the glory. BCS or not. And because of the BCS, fans have something to talk about all year and after.

Keep the BCS to establish the top 8 teams so you can continue to have something to talk about (although I'm not sure what that really means. Without the BCS, there would be nothing to talk about in College Football? Has College Football gotten bigger since the BCS came along?).

College football will never be as big as the NFL until they have a playoff, yet it could be much bigger than the NFL. If you choose to watch college ball before then, enjoy! We can agree to disagree.

College football IS actually a big deal in the Northeast. People love it. Then again, they also love NASCAR up here ... but there's no accounting for taste, now is there?

I can understand people routing for their alma mater or their state's major team (I went to Tufts and DIII football is atrocious). Find me one person, however, that thinks College football's postseason and the BCS process is a good one. I mean please ... could you have one more bowl game? The fact that 6-7 teams make a bowl is atrocious.

"Join us when Eastern Florida State takes on Northern Virginia Tech in the Depends Undergarment Bowl!" It's a joke.

grogger... bowdoin football, wow! we're terrible

They are not trying to compete with the NFL or be as big. But in the south they are. If NY was any good at college football, I assure you that the NE would be involved.

But in the south they are.

That is what I've noticed, since moving here. It was never this big north-central. I'm in over my head now learning all these rivalries and trying to figure out who's any good and who's just in an easy conference. Records can be misleading apparently, not (nearly as much) so in NFL, and that's really weird if you ask me.

You are correct Julie.

They are not trying to compete with the NFL or be as big. But in the south they are. If NY was any good at college football, I assure you that the NE would be involved.
Why do you keep bringing up New England, JB? Trust me, we aren't missing a thing. No one here watches the Iditarod, but we're no worse off for it.

College football isn't trying to be as big as the NFL? That is ... a bit silly. They don't want the television revenue? Bowl revenue? All they need to do is continue with the BCS and continue having 175 Bowl games and they are assured of remaining less significant nationally. And that SHOULD be what we are talking about ... popularity nationally. McCain won Kentucky by an overwhelming margin, but he's not the President-Elect (had to throw that in since I refuse to post in the Politics thread).

Grogger,
Plrease do a little more research. The NFL gives money to the NCAA. They work together. Hence the reason the NFL starts games on Saturday only after the NCAA season ends. I can assure you that in many areas around the country, college football is bigger than the NFL. Go to GA, AL, TN, FL, etc...

Why bring up New Engladnd??? Because you happen to live in a state and a general area that does not care about college football. The numbers dont lie. College football ratings are lower in New England than any other area of the country compared to their NFL counterpart.

Grogger you are confusing people not liking the BCS with people not liking college football.

And that SHOULD be what we are talking about ... popularity nationally. McCain won Kentucky by an overwhelming margin, but he's not the President-Elect (had to throw that in since I refuse to post in the Politics thread).

LOL, I got lost in this transition. You sure you don't need to vent a bit in the politics section, even a little, my dear?

Yes, TV coverage and revenue is big, I just think he means they don't promote it as much as NFL. Cheerleaders aren't doing publicity stunts in grocery stores, the players aren't smeared all over SI or ESPN (even here I really don't know anything about Colt McCoy, but I hear about any time Tony Romo trips or takes a vacation with his girlfriend).

It's not as big in New England because we have some great professional teams here. If the patriots were terrible and Boston College was a powerhouse it would be bigger. Unfortunately you have world champions in the NFL and MLB it takes away from other leagues/sports/levels.

Grogger,
Plrease do a little more research. The NFL gives money to the NCAA. They work together. Hence the reason the NFL starts games on Saturday only after the NCAA season ends. I can assure you that in many areas around the country, college football is bigger than the NFL. Go to GA, AL, TN, FL, etc...
You can find a regional argument for anything, JB. If you choose limit the discussion to regions of the country and ignore national exposure and revenue, of course I can't disagree with you.

Why bring up New Engladnd??? Because you happen to live in a state and a general area that does not care about college football. The numbers dont lie. College football ratings are lower in New England than any other area of the country compared to their NFL counterpart.
Again, your regional argument, while compelling, can be applied to anything.

Grogger you are confusing people not liking the BCS with people not liking college football.
You're not really trying to separate the two are you?

Let me try a different tact here. Go Seminoles! :blob:

Grogger,
You are missing the entire point. What stadiums hold more and sell out more games? College football. What you are missing is the fact that your views are regionally based, hence the reason I put it in there. What organization makes more Grogger NFL or NCAA football? NCAA, they dont have players to pay and they get ppv revenue from everywhere not just Directv.

Its not worth the argument anymore. Your feelings are based on the fact that where you live there is no college football and that you have an issue with the BCS. In 90% of the country, college football is huge.

Grogger,
You are missing the entire point. What stadiums hold more and sell out more games? College football.

Typo there? Did you mean to say NFL?

No Julie, I meant College football. Their stadiums are much larger at the bigger schools than the NFL.

No Julie, I meant College football. Their stadiums are much larger at the bigger schools than the NFL.

Huh - you're right, I just looked up Texas Stadium and Memorial Stadium's capacities. I wouldn't have guessed that - the Metrodome never filled up for Gopher games even a fraction as much as it filled for Viking games. Interesting.

Its not worth the argument anymore. Your feelings are based on the fact that where you live there is no college football and that you have an issue with the BCS. In 90% of the country, college football is huge.

Didn't I leave off with "Go Seminoles!" in the spirit of solidarity?

While I appreciate the "last word" enthusiasm, JB, it's never appropriate to tell someone else what their feelings are based on.

Note to self: No politics threads, No college football threads, ...

Reactions: JB

But they also dont get as much money for the tickets. I cant speak for the rest of the country, but when the Raiders were here they shared a stadium with USC, and they would both sell out games, but the NFL tickets were way more expensive. Plus NFL teams make way more money from the international market and primetime games.

Have to be, no salaries in NCAA

Back