College Football Conference Expansion Thread

mtiger10

Geaux Tigers
Reaction score
Handicap
Since THP has members all across the country, I thought we could discuss all the different college football conference expansion rumors/changes here in one thread. The next few weeks and months could get very interesting for all college football fans. I'll start with the SEC since that's where I'm located. We know that Texas A&M will be the 13th team but who will be #14? I've heard so many schools, I don't know what to believe. Missouri and Virginia Tech seem to be the names I'm hearing the most.

I love the idea of some super conferences. I think A & M coming to the SEC is great and I would hate to lose Va Tech from the ACC.

The addition of Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC is far more impactful in basketball to me.

Its chaos here.

Apparently Beebe is out as commish and the XII/X/VIIII is going to go after TCU and either BYU/Air Force or Louisville/WVU.

Essentially no one has ANY clue.

Does anyone else hate that this is detracting from CFB itself? I am getting so annoyed. People blame this Big 12 stuff on Texas, but in reality if the Big 12 would have tried to do something they could have, and frankly they didnt

Does anyone else hate that this is detracting from CFB itself? I am getting so annoyed. People blame this Big 12 stuff on Texas, but in reality if the Big 12 would have tried to do something they could have, and frankly they didnt

Dude, Texas does deserve a fair portion of blame and you know it. Not ALL mind you, but a portion. Dodds is an ass.

They should have went PAC last year, would have been Texas, OU, OSU, Tech, Colorado, A&M with two others in the "East" division. Shoudla coulda woulda though.

I do agree with the detraction part though absolutely.

I love having Vtech in the ACC, I truly hope they dont leave

I've been dreaming for the elite teams to break away and form their own division -- with a playoff -- for 15 years. Maybe they are finally doing it with the superconferences. It's silly for the SEC and Sunbelt to play in the same division.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I love having Vtech in the ACC, I truly hope they dont leave
Apparently, the governor even got involved to get VTech in the ACC (alongside Virginia) so I can't imagine them leaving either. Selfishly, they would be mighty attractive to the SEC though!!

2 weeks ago I would have said the Big 12 was done. Now that the Pac 'however many teams' decided not to expand, I'm not so sure. Plus the fact that the Big 12 commish is out. I could see the Big 12 making a run at TCU. If my Mizzou Tigers move, I see them going Big 10 before SEC. Not sure why other than there have been rumors that they have wanted to go Big 10 for some time now.

I love the idea of some super conferences. I think A & M coming to the SEC is great and I would hate to lose Va Tech from the ACC.

The addition of Syracuse and Pitt to the ACC is far more impactful in basketball to me.

Took the words right out of my mouth right here. We need superconferences to get rid of the BCS. And the ACC would suffer greatly with the loss of VaTech. Being a fan of UM this would hurt even more so because the rivalry (although one sided lately) is great and VaTech has carried the burden of the national title hopes from the ACC for far too long already.

Absolutely think the addition of Cuse and Pitt to the ACC is for sure a bump to the Basketball side of the house as well.

Dude, Texas does deserve a fair portion of blame and you know it. Not ALL mind you, but a portion. Dodds is an ass.

They should have went PAC last year, would have been Texas, OU, OSU, Tech, Colorado, A&M with two others in the "East" division. Shoudla coulda woulda though.

Just as much blame falls on OU, A&M, and the other members of the Big 12 that voted to allow school specific networks to the member schools. The recent problems have come from the fact that the other schools can't put together a network that anyone wants to buy.

I think it's WVU vs. Missouri for the last SEC spot, not V-Tech. ACC is at 14 right now and considering adding 2 more in addition to Cuse/Pitt. Plus ACC just went to a 20 million dollar buy out to leave, pretty much locking everyone in. Since Big 12 is not an equal split conference I can see why people are mad and want out. Texas is getting all the money from their network.

Super conferences will destroy competition in all other sports but football. You can't schedule baseball or basketball games between teams from Texas and say Florida or Washington or Michigan two days a week and not have one of the teams miss a lot of class time due to travel. It will make even more of a mockery of the education first mantra that many chant with regard to college athletics.

How is this Texas' fault? They took a huge tv deal to benefit them why is that their fault? If any other school would have been offered that they would have taken it in a heartbeat

Super conferences will destroy competition in all other sports but football. You can't schedule baseball or basketball games between teams from Texas and say Florida or Washington or Michigan two days a week and not have one of the teams miss a lot of class time due to travel. It will make even more of a mockery of the education first mantra that many chant with regard to college athletics.

While I agree with this sentiment, I also disagree slightly. Because those schools will bring in more money because of football they will be able to travel. Also, there should be divisions/subdivisions within the conferences and this should be a little more geographically sound allowing the schools to still travel but not too far.

How is this Texas' fault? They took a huge tv deal to benefit them why is that their fault? If any other school would have been offered that they would have taken it in a heartbeat

It's not Texas' fault, it is the fault of all the other Big 9-12 teams that put up with being in a conference with Texas. At least A&M finally put their money where their mouth was and did what is best for them, just like Texas always does.

Every other major conference now shares revenue equally amongst the teams.

It's not Texas' fault, it is the fault of all the other Big 9-12 teams that put up with being in a conference with Texas. At least A&M finally put their money where their mouth was and did what is best for them, just like Texas always does.

I would agree with this. Im just saying you cant fault a school for taking a $300 million dollar TV deal

While I agree with this sentiment, I also disagree slightly. Because those schools will bring in more money because of football they will be able to travel. Also, there should be divisions/subdivisions within the conferences and this should be a little more geographically sound allowing the schools to still travel but not too far.

That is going to take more planning and foresight than we have seen in the past from these people. I think it is a mess to be honest.

Actually it is, and the Big 12 commissioner is going to be "resigned" if he hasn't already because Dodds had him in his back pocket. There is more to it than just the network. Texas has been the neighborhood bully in this conference from the start, it is the reason Nebraska left, the reason Colorado left, it is the reason Oklahoma was wanting to go to the Pac 12, it is the reason A&M has wanted to move to the SEC for at least 10 years. Texas is Jobba the Hut in the big 12.

Just as much blame falls on OU, A&M, and the other members of the Big 12 that voted to allow school specific networks to the member schools. The recent problems have come from the fact that the other schools can't put together a network that anyone wants to buy.

Because SO many are knocking down the door to get the Longhorn Network with no programming on it? lol

I would agree with this. Im just saying you cant fault a school for taking a $300 million dollar TV deal

Oh absolutely not, thats bank man, no fault at that at all. For me its honestly all about Dodds, dude is a total d-bag, but at least he doesn't hide it.

Kudos to A&M for stepping up and leaving to get away from it, we are all now left with a shell of what the XII used to be and never will be again.

Actually it is, and the Big 12 commissioner is going to be "resigned" if he hasn't already because Dodds had him in his back pocket. There is more to it than just the network. Texas has been the neighborhood bully in this conference from the start, it is the reason Nebraska left, the reason Colorado left, it is the reason Oklahoma was wanting to go to the Pac 12, it is the reason A&M has wanted to move to the SEC for at least 10 years. Texas is Jobba the Hut in the big 12.

I agree with you to an extent...Texas has the right to form their network and not agree to equal revenue sharing because most other schools would do the same if given the opportunity. I also believe if the other schools have a big enough problem with it, they will go find the other conferences that will take them, and leave the Horns to fend for themselves as an independent or make them reassemble their conference with all the state schools that would kill to be in a conference with Texas. I firmly believe the SEC would take Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Missouri as teams 14, 15, and 16 right now...but those schools just won't divorce themselves from Texas.

I should say though no matter what I hope all the XII/X/VIIII guys can agree its good Beebe is gone, its a change that NEEDED to happen if EVERYONE really is going to try and salvage this.

Because SO many are knocking down the door to get the Longhorn Network with no programming on it? lol

There is a demand for it, otherwise ESPN wouldn't have put it together. A&M tried to explore their own network and no one would bite, which is what started their latest drama.

What exactly makes Dodds a d-bag? He's put his school in a better position than others?

There is a demand for it, otherwise ESPN wouldn't have put it together. A&M tried to explore their own network and no one would bite, which is what started their latest drama.

What exactly makes Dodds a d-bag? He's put his school in a better position than others?

Not necessarily it just means some junior exec with a masters degree and no experience to speak of over reached with it and it managed to slip through somehow. People I know who are A&M fans are not upset only about the network, they are just sick of UT period, and are actually now very happy to see UT thrashing around to try to hold that Big 12 together, it has been described as UT and the 7 or 8 dwarfs. UT cannot go independent they do not have the fan base nationwide. Notre Dame has suffered in my opinion by not being in a conference and their national fan base is much bigger than UTs.

Back