Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

Considering putting a Cobra tip on my raw shaft from that event. It would look pretty good with the Darkspeed head.
You aren't kidding....maybe I'll do the same lol

I hear you....but I have an unhealthy attachment to Project X ever since the shaft up THP event a few years ago lol. That Smoke blue though sounds perfect.

How much spin difference is there between the LS and X? I need drivers that typically take a bit off.
I don't know between the 2 but the combo I have now took 1500-2000RPM off my TsR2 and Smoke Black combo.

I don't know between the 2 but the combo I have now took 1500-2000RPM off my TsR2 and Smoke Black combo.
Knowing what I do about the smoke black, I'd have to imagine that's more head based, but if so.....the X is a very strong option then.

Knowing what I do about the smoke black, I'd have to imagine that's more head based, but if so.....the X is a very strong option then.
I think it will help a lot. I thought I'd need an LS head but apparently I didn't.

That is very good to know. I will need to check those out somewhere to see how they work for me.
I believe Windmill in Macedonia has both.

Hit both the LS and the X today at the store with a XS Hzrdus black -1 that they had for it.

Numbers weren’t much different for me between the two honestly, though admittedly a very small sample size. I think that solidified my choice of going X. I do slightly prefer the head shape of the LS, which is JUST smaller and more compact, but in the end the bit of extra forgiveness and less fade biased will be a better fit.

Went to try the driver out today. I think I know the order, and it was what I was predicting.

Started with Darkspeed X 10.5° and HZRDUS. Hit it pretty well. Saw my normal draw flight and normal miss which is farther left. Good distance and on the lower side of spin.

Then tried Darkspeed max in the same config. Found it easier to move and miss left. Not sure if it is lie angle or draw bias but it seemed clear the X was probably the better fit.

I wanted to bring spin up a little and suggested lofting the head up. Fitter wanted to try different shafts instead. Hit the X with Linq red and then something helium? Bit of those were a disaster I hit those so far left.

I asked to go back to hzrdus and loft it up and that was the ticket. Felt pretty comfortable with it and the combo minimized the results on my worst swings.

Going to go tour length Darkspeed X 10.5°(+1) with hzrdus black 60g 6.0. Weight in the back. By the way I love the custom color scheme they did on the matte hzrdus.

When I was done I took a pic of the very last shot. I left the face open just a touch but a miss like this feels very playable to me.

IMG_3618.jpeg

Went to try the driver out today. I think I know the order, and it was what I was predicting.

Started with Darkspeed X 10.5° and HZRDUS. Hit it pretty well. Saw my normal draw flight and normal miss which is farther left. Good distance and on the lower side of spin.

Then tried Darkspeed max in the same config. Found it easier to move and miss left. Not sure if it is lie angle or draw bias but it seemed clear the X was probably the better fit.

I wanted to bring spin up a little and suggested lofting the head up. Fitter wanted to try different shafts instead. Hit the X with Linq red and then something helium? Bit of those were a disaster I hit those so far left.

I asked to go back to hzrdus and loft it up and that was the ticket. Felt pretty comfortable with it and the combo minimized the results on my worst swings.

Going to go tour length Darkspeed X 10.5°(+1) with hzrdus black 60g 6.0. Weight in the back. By the way I love the custom color scheme they did on the matte hzrdus.

When I was done I took a pic of the very last shot. I left the face open just a touch but a miss like this feels very playable to me.

View attachment 9261161
Looks like a money combo!

Going to hit these next week to see what to go with. I like the adjustability of the LS but I am pretty low spin already so we will have to see.

I’ve fit several hard hitters into LS with heavy weight back. The beauty of LS is it tames the draw side miss while not being too fade biased in the neutral weight back set up. The face sits open a good bit at standard and that adds to the confidence the ball won’t hook.

One customer had a “stock shot“ of a 50 yard draw. A few years back he took driver out of the bag because it was uncontrollable. I put him in 10,5° LS with Hzrdus Black 6.5. He started out by slicing his first 5 balls which made him laugh. A couple swings later he was ripping drives that all stayed to the right of the target line and rolled past 300 yards. He kept building confidence in the club which pushed carry and total up. If the ball did draw it was a soft draw that had ample spin.

Finally getting my X out on the home course tomorrow. I know that like the back of my hands, so it'll be interesting how it compares to last year.

Hit both the LS and the X today at the store with a XS Hzrdus black -1 that they had for it.

Numbers weren’t much different for me between the two honestly, though admittedly a very small sample size. I think that solidified my choice of going X. I do slightly prefer the head shape of the LS, which is JUST smaller and more compact, but in the end the bit of extra forgiveness and less fade biased will be a better fit.
You’re not going to miss any spin reduction IMO.

I continue to be impressed with my 9* LS driver and counterbalanced shaft combo. Sound, feel, consistency, distance are everything I was looking for. I’m not as happy with the same shaft in my 3. The kick I felt in the fitting bay is now, I think, producing a higher launch than I want. I’m gaming the Nemesis shaft by VA Shafts. 65 g in my driver, 75s in my 3 w. For those using the Linq Blue in their driver, have you tested one in a fairway? I’m also interested in the linq White. I plan to check my local stores for demo shafts to try. Just looking for some input.

I continue to be impressed with my 9* LS driver and counterbalanced shaft combo. Sound, feel, consistency, distance are everything I was looking for. I’m not as happy with the same shaft in my 3. The kick I felt in the fitting bay is now, I think, producing a higher launch than I want. I’m gaming the Nemesis shaft by VA Shafts. 65 g in my driver, 75s in my 3 w. For those using the Linq Blue in their driver, have you tested one in a fairway? I’m also interested in the linq White. I plan to check my local stores for demo shafts to try. Just looking for some input.
I have the Lin-q blue in everything, though I will say that's typically not the case for my game. Just happened to work for my current set up. I've typically gone with something a little more tip stiff in the 3 wood

LS or X.....hmmm
Don’t overlook the X at all it is a bomber!

I had 8 FIR yesterday and 4 others were just off the fw. I did have two horrible swings but it is not the clubs fault lol.

Don’t overlook the X at all it is a bomber!

I had 8 FIR yesterday and 4 others were just off the fw. I did have two horrible swings but it is not the clubs fault lol.
Yea I am going X. I think that paired with a HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60 6.5 will work extremely well for me.

Going to do a fitting for these next weekend. I’m interested to see what I’m fit into. I’ve never really got along with any Max driver even though they should work for me. The LS turned up to 11.5-12 has me intrigued but I’ll probably be fit into the X, 10.5, Lin-Q Blue 6F3

I've been holding steady at about 7% better FIRs with the Darkspeed LS over my last 2 years of drivers, which includes the last 2 Cobra LS models. SG is still down a bit, but I chalk that up to still having soft fairways and a lot of drives into the wind.

Speaking to into the wind, I'm finding the LS head to be good for putting my hands forward a bit and knocking the flight down.

What makes you want to move to the X after playing the Aerojet Max?
I loved the Aerojet Max last year (and still do), but after my lessons this year I'm striking the ball better and have improved my path and face closure so I no longer need the draw bias of the Max or the additional spin. I originally thought I would be back in the Max this year, but my fitting showed me the X was better for me this year.

If I can work out my tee height issues, my X is going to be a cannon with the right shaft in it.

My drives ranged from 177 yards sky ball to a 290 yard up the guts bomb. All due to tee height. Fairly certain I have it set now.

I loved the Aerojet Max last year (and still do), but after my lessons this year I'm striking the ball better and have improved my path and face closure so I no longer need the draw bias of the Max or the additional spin. I originally thought I would be back in the Max this year, but my fitting showed me the X was better for me this year.
Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Man if you can groove that draw we saw on Saturday, you're going to be bombing shots with the Max!

IMG_4265.jpegIMG_4275.png

Still getting a feel for the Darkspeed X, today was one of those days where you felt like you kind have the comfort level there and you can just step up and swing it. It’s consistent and my misses are not killing me anymore. I can actually keep the ball in play and it lets me score so much better. The one difference this year is have to know where to aim at since I do hit it further. I’m absolutely loving the power and consistency with the Darkspeed X. I am glad I ended up with this and not the LS head so my misses are still much more playable.

Back