Cobra DARKSPEED Drivers Review

I freaking hit this HARD a couple times today. Entirely satisfied with the way the DS LS has fit into my golf bag.

X will still be best for most people’s needs.
I talked about this with Danny at Shaft Up. He said a lot of people want LS, but for his money X is where it's at. I think he's right. It feels so good and it's soooooo fast and forgiving. I hope people give it a chance because I think they'll be surprised.

I talked about this with Danny at Shaft Up. He said a lot of people want LS, but for his money X is where it's at. I think he's right. It feels so good and it's soooooo fast and forgiving. I hope people give it a chance because I think they'll be surprised.
All about needs for sure.

For the majority, 100%. Me, I’m better with a deeper face based on my strike pattern, so the LS is the optimal fit.

I mean all four of us at Shaft Up #1 have the Darkspeed X, I believe. I don't think JB had his at the event, but he did have that back at HQ. That said something to me. Danny Le can crush the ball and he preferred the X.

I absolutely think the LS is good for a certain group, but my guess is the X is better for a large majority.

I'll be the first to admit that I wanted the LS based on looks alone. But the X is such a beast.

I mean all four of us at Shaft Up #1 have the Darkspeed X, I believe. I don't think JB had his at the event, but he did have that back at HQ. That said something to me. Danny Le can crush the ball and he preferred the X.

I absolutely think the LS is good for a certain group, but my guess is the X is better for a large majority.

I'll be the first to admit that I wanted the LS based on looks alone. But the X is such a beast.
Which is what I just said 😜

You did. I was just emphasizing it some more. LOL.
It’s all good, I’m used to Lord Tox belittling my fandom of the LS head already.

(I’m joking, well, not about him, but about being bothered hahaha)

I'm gonna have more thoughts. A lot more, but wanted to start by posting my current combo from Shaft Up #1.

I've never ever been more excited about my golf game in a long time. Specifically off the tee. There's some swing issues to deal with, but this thing is gonna be fun. Already seeing massive improvement.

Cobra Darkspeed X set at 9.0 Standard - heavier weight forward
UST Mamiya LinQ Blue 6TX (Japanese model)

What the ****? Extra stiff still blows my mind. :eek:

PXL_20240405_151958826.jpg

PXL_20240405_151924038.NIGHT.jpg

I'm gonna have more thoughts. A lot more, but wanted to start by posting my current combo from Shaft Up #1.

I've never ever been more excited about my golf game in a long time. Specifically off the tee. There's some swing issues to deal with, but this thing is gonna be fun. Already seeing massive improvement.

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
BEAST MODE!

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
Can’t wait to hear more about how your driving improves this season.

Absolutely we did. So much better than the TSr2.

Spin dropped an average of 1100 RPM and smash factor increased to almost the magic 1.50.

Swing speed increased by an average of almost 3mph and carry by an average of 16 yards.
wow, that's impressive. you must be a high spin player, ya?

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
great looking combo!

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
You got the imported shaft. Bougie!!! 🤣

This is reassuring to hear. It reduces fomo a little for sure

Put the X in play today and it'll likely be the only time. Struck it pretty darn well all round and it wasn't even in the ballpark of my TSR2. Tried weight forward on the front and weight back on the back. Forward predictably gave me my longest drive of the day, and only drive that bested my 'average' distance for the year with my TSR2. Overall, my average with the X was 252 on the day, versus 271 so far this year with the Titleist. My longest was 288 on a ball I absolutely crushed, which is 30 yards behind my longest with the TSR. The Cobra has a .5" longer, as well as 10g lighter shaft, so I thought I'd see more speed but it was the opposite. I really love the look behind the ball and in the bag, but I think it's too big of a chasm to overcome with tinkering, especially when I already know what I have in the Titleist. Oh well, it's fun playing with new toys. On to the next!

Last edited:
Still haven't been able to hit one of these, but I did get one in hand finally. These look so freaking good in hand. Gotta make the trip to hit one soon.

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
That is a sweet set up!

I was 6/8 in FW when using the DSX today. One miss I had was hit well and straight, just left down the valley instead of over the bunkers I was aiming at. It is a risky shot but worth trying. The other miss I just left the face open a bit and even with hitting the right side of the FW it rolled down the steep bank just into the water. Tomorrows round will be driver on 12 or 13 holes so I’ll get plenty of opportunities.

A little Darkspeed vs Ping g430 lst round today at Stewart Creek. Both drivers are fantastic, he is one of many good drives I had with the Darkspeed. Before anyone questions the distance this was 10 yards downhill and the course is at elevation in Canmore. When buttoned the Darkspeed sounds and feels fantastic. This round I averaged higher ballspeeds with the LS over the LST but hit a few more fairways with the Ping. Need to get outside to a real course and see which one comes out on top. I would really like to bring the X home for a few days and compare

Attachments

• IMG_8982.jpeg
    IMG_8982.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8983.jpeg
    IMG_8983.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 11
Just got the call, my Darkspeed X has already come in.

Have to wait until Saturday to pick it up.

View attachment 9254565

View attachment 9254566
Oh my i am so tempted to try a linq shaft coz how much everyone raves about them.. i ordered mine w the ad di x7

Oh my i am so tempted to try a linq shaft coz how much everyone raves about them.. i ordered mine w the ad di x7
They're so good. I will be ordering all my clubs in the future with them.

@JB you’ll have the X at Briggs?

Back