Club Buying: Your biggest miss?

Sooo many. 1st ones that come to mind are:

1) Cobra Bio Cell fairway woods. Both heads cracked on different occasions and Cobra wouldn't cover/warranty them. Crappy clubs, crappy company.
2) 2016 Scotty Newport. What a poorly made piece of junk. Double sided tape being called "engineered vibration dampening material" is everything that's wrong with the golf industry.
3) Callaway Super Hybrid (the og). I love pretty much every hybrid and hit my '19 Berthas like it's my job - but this Super Hybrid felt awful and performed worse for me. Only thing "Super" about it was the marketing campaign.
4) OG Epic SZ driver. I bought one purely because Rory had one in the bag for a couple weeks. This one is 100% my fault - just an awful fit. I later got along perfectly with the non-SZ head.
5) Lamb Allendale (my 2nd one). Long story but had a paint issue.

Fitted for Ping G700 irons with graphite shafts. Played them for a year and decided they were not for me. Too much game improvement and not enough player features for me.

Odyssey EXO Rossie putter. Took about 3 rounds to realize I need a lighter putter.

Titleist fairway woods. Look good, didn't have the pop to them.

SM8 wedges. It's a struggle to hit the distances that my MD 4, and RTX 3's consistently covered. Makes zero sense, but they're definitely shorter and I didn't think 1/8th of an inch would knock off 8 yards off my 54/58. It's frustrating, and likely won't be going that route when I need the eventual replacement.

XR Pro irons were decent, but should have just held onto what I was gaming instead and been just as happy. Really didn't get much of an improvement on those.

Every wedge > 60 degrees

TaylorMade M1 hybrid. Just couldn't figure it out. Sometimes it'd launch, others it'd be completely dead... I tried different shaft lengths etc, but same result. Moved on to fairway woods and haven't been happier!

Ping G400 woods. I just could not get them in the air. I kept thinking it was a me thing. My next wood purchase made up for it. It’s still in my bag.

G400 SFT driver, though I always thought it was user error and not the club.

Every hybrid I thought I needed after I already had the W/S D100's in the bag. There have been plenty of them that I've attempted to place in those slots, and none of them have worked for me. The list includes the W/S D200's and D300's, Tour Edge XCG-7's and EX9's, and Cobra BIO Cell, amongst many others.

Last edited:
Taylormade SuperDeep driver….low spin monster, lasted a month.

Cbx wedges, $taper shafts

I’ve been pretty lucky buying blind but the biggest goof was picking up a TM R15 after loving the R7.

That club never agreed with me even though one of every 20 or so was a bomb.

Cobra Forged Tec irons - spin issues galore for me - hated the performance after 3 rounds.

Cobra Forged Tec irons - spin issues galore for me - hated the performance after 3 rounds.
That’s super interesting! Not many players who don’t get along with Forged Tec!

What shafts did you have in them?

The RocketBallz 14.5* 3 wood. I really wanted to like that club, but I did not get along with it off the deck

Ping K15 hybrids. SGI and super draw biased. Total hook monsters for me, it was almost comical.

I am having a really time figuring this one out for me.. I've had a couple awful putter experiences, but it was all on me.
I thought for sure you’d have at least one… even if it were a good club otherwise, something that just didn’t fit your swing.

I thought for sure you’d have at least one… even if it were a good club otherwise, something that just didn’t fit your swing.
I could say that about Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges - Absolutely 100% did NOT get along with them.

Fortunately, RTX4 were AMAZING. Faith restored hahaha

Crazy enough? A Ping G410 Plus driver. Quality club, top level, shoulder to shoulder with all the best.

I was playing very well for a long time (years) before I got it. But from the moment I put it in play, ball go right. I'd swap it out for my G400 Max and I'd be fine again. But then... I committed to trying to make the G410 work because good strikes were absolutely euphoric. 20 yards longer, at least, and with a handful of different shafts. But still, most often, ball go right.

Well, as you could imagine, a loss of confidence and technique soon followed as I tried to force things. Even a return to the G400 Max had no effect as I was too far gone.

Never force the issue. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Dang it.

Crazy enough? A Ping G410 Plus driver. Quality club, top level, shoulder to shoulder with all the best.

I was playing very well for a long time (years) before I got it. But from the moment I put it in play, ball go right. I'd swap it out for my G400 Max and I'd be fine again. But then... I committed to trying to make the G410 work because good strikes were absolutely euphoric. 20 yards longer, at least, and with a handful of different shafts. But still, most often, ball go right.

Well, as you could imagine, a loss of confidence and technique soon followed as I tried to force things. Even a return to the G400 Max had no effect as I was too far gone.

Never force the issue. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Dang it.
Same shaft in both the G410 Plus and G400 Max?

Back