Club Buying: Your biggest miss?

A few instantly come to mind:

Callaway Big Bertha Mini
Cure RX2
Srixon Z U85
The U85 surprises me! It’s a ball speed monster.

The real club that I was bummed about was the Radspeed hybrid with Recoil shaft. I could not get that thing to work. I ended up buying the King Tec and it is amazing but I think if I would have gotten the MMT shaft in the Radspeed it would still be in the bag.

The U85 surprises me! It’s a ball speed monster.

I know! I wanted to like it soooo much, but it just didn't work for me. I had a lot of success with the Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI, but could never get comfy with the Srixon.

First driver I was ever fitted for was some flavor of Adams Speedline. What a dud that thing was. The first of many lessons for me on the difference between hitting indoors and outdoors.

I know! I wanted to like it soooo much, but it just didn't work for me. I had a lot of success with the Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI, but could never get comfy with the Srixon.
It happens for sure! UDI is underrated here.

IF we're talking all time, SLDR would be at the top for me. If just this year, the MD5 wedges just did not work for me at all.

Cally Steelhead XR irons. For some reason I just couldn’t find the sweet spot on these. And that was after using blades as my previous set.

Biggest miss I can remember at the moment was a 64° wedge. A good hit with it would get me 45 yards, a bad hit (much more frequent) was a skulled 150 yard missile. Chipping/pitching with it would almost put my own eye out and land 2 feet forward of where I hit from. I probably could have hit it further if I'd turned around and hit it backward over my head.

ANY 9* driver...i need loft :(:ROFLMAO:
I bought a 9° Big Bertha back when I had no idea about loft or what it meant....it was a Big Bertha, which was the hot driver at the time, and I got a good price on it. I killed a lot of worms with it, but couldn't elevate a shot much more than a few feet off the ground.

Great Big Bertha driver. The only way to tame the two way miss I had with it was to replace it. I think it was a synergistic combination of head and shaft

I’m part of the “me too” SLDR brigade. It wasn’t for me.

The second set of Cobra One Length clubs. I got a set of OL F9s and really saw lots of improvement in my game, ball striking, & confidence. So much improvement that I went and got a set of OL forged tec irons, even OL wedges. My game continued to improve but to the point where I believe the OL was holding me back, mostly in the long & short irons (of a conventional set lol). Now in a set of Srixon ZX 7s that I am in love with. I regret ever getting the second set of OL irons that basically did the same thing as the first set.

Followed the Indi Putter thread here....Was looking for a new putter. Leaped. Well, it's not a bad putter. It's actually a pretty good putter. But there can be only one. Prior to the Morgan Cup I also got a Spider X. That resides in 2nd place. My Cobra Vintage Nova is in the bag and shall stay there for some time my guess. The Indi Allison sits in 3rd place And the miss is that the Indi has zero resale value.....

The one that comes to mind most readily is a CBX2 wedge. Man I hated that club. When I didn't want that club to even touch my other clubs in the bag, I knew it was time to let it go.

Oh, and every single driving iron I've ever bought. Every once in a while I forget that and try another, only to remember again how badly I hit them.

W/S Cortex -- it felt like a concrete block on the end of a straw.

Stroke Lab Marxman -- I really thought I'd like this shape, but I wanted to twist the face closed too often; that's not a problem I'd ever run into before. :confused2:

Cleveland Classic driver. I couldn’t get over the shape of it like I thought I could. I prefer a more elongated shape in a driver head. I played one round with it and ended up giving it to a friend so I didn’t have to look at it anymore.

I've always struggled with hybrids - but I keep going back to them.... TM Rocketballz 3H that I put a new shaft in because I thought I needed to in order to hit it better. Big miss for me and too much money spent in an area I didn't need at the time. still have yet to find a hybrid that I feel gives me what I need.

A low bounce Cobra lob wedge for me that I bought recently. The wedge itself is great but I didn't understand what low bounce was for at the time and had a nightmarish time trying to chip and pitch out of the rough with it. It's great from a firm fairway on pitch shots to full shots but I love using a lob wedge for short game out of the rough.

I should never have bought a boxed starter set. But I wasn't going to commit the money to something else when I didn't know I would really play it enjoy it.
Yeah... I was playing with a cobbed together loaner set and my bride bought me a Wilson OS set for a wedding gift. There was nothing good about those clubs. I started playing regularly but dang those were some struggling years...

Hmmm...there has to be some that went this route...
1636748713259.png

Bought a driving iron , many years ago , When l was quite competent and far friendlier with fairway clubs.
bad ,very bad , very very bad ….

Brosnan magnate driver 9 deg loft based on wild theory l had regarding runout ,,,, shaft too firm, loft to shallow
Suffice to say it was moved on ….

Tsi2 driver. That was my dream driver and I still think it looks incredible. It was one of the worst drivers for my game that I've ever used. No explanation for it, but I couldn't hit it if my life depended on it.

Thought of a couple more... recent ones.

RTX Zipcore wedges. Went all in as I've always had a good record with Cleveland wedges. Just couldn't get comfortable with them and never got my distances down.

OG Callaway Super Hybrid. Just couldn't make that one work & I tried for quite a bit with it. New rev is pretty awesome though.

Back