Cleveland Halo XL Full-Face Irons Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What pops into your mind when someone says, “hybrid irons”?

Personally, my mind immediately goes to Cleveland Golf. For years now it feels like no one has been as invested in the idea of hybrid irons as Cleveland. In fact, you might even say that in 2012 the 588 Altitudes kicked the door down for the brand in this category, and since then, they have been a committed proponent and innovator of such irons.

Continue reading...

Don’t know if the weight would agree but would be fun trying a Helium shaft in one of these to see what the results would be.

A fun set of clubs. True trade off in performance over looks. And some won’t mind the looks at all when they see their scores go lower. I have a regular playing partner that wouldn’t be caught dead with these, but he would be tough to beat with them in the bag.

Best iteration of these in a number of years. Good info and great data sets. Really good consistency coming out of the Halo line

Those things just look stupid easy to hit. As someone who's always been a low ball hitter with irons, having something help get the ball up and landing softly is a big draw. Having played a combo set of Altitudes and MTs, these look so much better across the board.

This family of Cleveland hybrid irons are always a soft spot because the Altitudes forum group is what brought me to THP many years ago

I like what Cleveland has done here. Clubs that greatly improve the ability to launch the ball can benefit many who play the game.

I enjoyed reading the review as I want to continue to learn as much about equipment as possible

After playing the XL Halos since their release, these look stellar. A more premium look and the full face grooves scream forgiveness. After trying the Halos, the Cobra T-Rails, and TM Stealth HD irons, Cleveland sits at the top of this category. My one criticism of the last iteration was the paint fill didn’t hold up well over time. Also, if you walk a lot, these irons clack loudly in your bag. I would recommend the iron covers.

@Jman enjoyed reading through that and the photography was great as well.

Loved seeing your data with this type of iron. Nice work!

@Jman love the in depth review. These might have a little more spin than the last iteration. My Halo 6 iron was consistently spinning low 4Ks with an occasional high 38-3900.

Thanks @Jman for all of that information. Cleveland and hybrid irons are synonymous and a brand that I know you can trust to do this design the right way. I love the incremental improvements and how Cleveland is all in on making the game easier for this segment of golfers.

I go back and forth on the full face grooves on these but I think I like them. Cleveland has perfected this style in the past and judging by what @Jman has here, seems like they’ve done it again. Shaping does look better than the last iteration or 2.

Great write up @Jman looks like another winner in this segment for Cleveland.

Cleveland coming in hot with a ton of new gear this year. These look really good for the category they fall into. Wonder if the paint fill holds up better since I know @Thrillbilly Jim had issues with it on his.

I go back and forth on the full face grooves on these but I think I like them. Cleveland has perfected this style in the past and judging by what @Jman has here, seems like they’ve done it again. Shaping does look better than the last iteration or 2.
I actually think that this kind of iron is PERFECT for full face. The user type isn’t going to be hung up on it, and instead will likely see the potential benefit since they’re already rocking a super forgiving iron

@Jman love the in depth review. These might have a little more spin than the last iteration. My Halo 6 iron was consistently spinning low 4Ks with an occasional high 38-3900.
Gotta remember too, in the end it comes down to how each individual delivers the club to the ball. My spin won’t be your spin, and so on.

I actually think that this kind of iron is PERFECT for full face. The user type isn’t going to be hung up on it, and instead will likely see the potential benefit since they’re already rocking a super forgiving iron
I tend to agree. On one hand there is less versatility in the realm of opening and closing, which creates that high toe impact. On the other hand, a lot of people miss toe side and this would help channel away more dirt and debris from there to offer consistent distances.

@Jman when will the cbx4 review drop?

After playing the XL Halos since their release, these look stellar. A more premium look and the full face grooves scream forgiveness. After trying the Halos, the Cobra T-Rails, and TM Stealth HD irons, Cleveland sits at the top of this category. My one criticism of the last iteration was the paint fill didn’t hold up well over time. Also, if you walk a lot, these irons clack loudly in your bag. I would recommend the iron covers.
No one should be recommended iron covers, ever. 🤣

On a serious note, construction wise they are tanks, little clacking in the bag won’t do any damage to them. As for paint, that happens sometimes, I’ve seen it occur with plenty of sets over the years, some years more than others.

Best iteration of these in a number of years. Good info and great data sets. Really good consistency coming out of the Halo line
It feels visually like a back to their roots in a lot of ways. Then add in Mainframe and they might be the highest performing version yet too.

@Jman - excellent write up.
And agree, dig the look of these compared to the last few generations.

I think if I read the article right, 7i on down have a v shaped sole. In the pics in the home page article it was tough to see this. Anyway you could add another shot showing the v sole better?

Also I always though the gist of the hybrid irons were more designed for sweepers of the ball to help get the ball air born. I tend to sweep and the Altitudes (my back up set) and the new gen hybrid irons from Cleveland ways worked for me. With the introduction of the v sole do think this iteration would be more suited for those who come in steep instead vs a sweeper?

@Jman when will the cbx4 review drop?

It feels visually like a back to their roots in a lot of ways. Then add in Mainframe and they might be the highest performing version yet too.
The last version had mainframe as well.

oh and one other question. it was mentioned in the home page article that these were more like the Altitudes. Is that in size too? The way I measure, the Tudes were about 3" from the bend in the hosel to the end of the toe side. The Halos last year were the longest iron I have ever measured at 3 3/16".
Would you say they went back to Altitude blade length or still really long like the Halo's?

Back