Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I don't think there could be a more true statement than performance>paint. I would take the ugliest shaft/head combo out there if it meant I was going to get top performance

I played the front 9 with the Classic driver with the Kusala White shaft in it and the back 9 with the Classic driver with the standard C. Kua shaft in it. I hit them both really well today. Distance was good with both and the white gave me a slightly higher ball flight, but neither one towering by any means. Good penetrating ball flight with the white version giving me a higher launch I would say.

The club head itself makes a great sound at impact that really gives off solid feedback letting you know if you miss and where. Despite my stats saying otherwise, today I "missed" 4 drives, but all four of them found the fairway. 2 were high up on the club face and it did not seem to bother the ball flight one bit and 2 were out towards the toe probably a half an inch and the club gave me no issues on any of them. All in all, a great round with the driver today.

I played the front 9 with the Classic driver with the Kusala White shaft in it and the back 9 with the Classic driver with the standard C. Kua shaft in it. I hit them both really well today. Distance was good with both and the white gave me a slightly higher ball flight, but neither one towering by any means. Good penetrating ball flight with the white version giving me a higher launch I would say.

The club head itself makes a great sound at impact that really gives off solid feedback letting you know if you miss and where. Despite my stats saying otherwise, today I "missed" 4 drives, but all four of them found the fairway. 2 were high up on the club face and it did not seem to bother the ball flight one bit and 2 were out towards the toe probably a half an inch and the club gave me no issues on any of them. All in all, a great round with the driver today.

Man, I don't know what I wouldn't do to hit every fairway in a round. So you haven't noticed a discernible difference in distance between the two shafts so far?

I know forgiveness is a term that is thrown around a bit when talking about drivers, and everyone has a different definition of what forgiveness is to them. But it seems that even when you miss, you are able to "get away" with them and still see good results. Seems that this driver is forgiving, and would be a good fit for a lot of folks.

This is pretty amazing when you figure such a forgiving product in a classic looking design. I'm simply in love with Cleveland and the creations these guys are coming up with right now. How about a "Pay it Forward" driver testing? Lol

Man, I don't know what I wouldn't do to hit every fairway in a round. So you haven't noticed a discernible difference in distance between the two shafts so far?

Not as of yet. Different ball flights for sure, but distance for me today was similar.

As to the 1st part, the swing will always dictate what works best. Get the swing fixed and the rest will fall into place with a good fitting.

Nice update JB. How would you compare the Classic with the White shaft to the J40 with the White shaft?

Not as of yet. Different ball flights for sure, but distance for me today was similar.

As to the 1st part, the swing will always dictate what works best. Get the swing fixed and the rest will fall into place with a good fitting.

Absolutely. It's getting close, just struggling with inconsistency. There are some days I long for the days of consistent slices. Now the majority of my drives are good drives, but those few misses a round could just as easily be a hook as they could a slice. Its certainly coming around.

Nice update JB. How would you compare the Classic with the White shaft to the J40 with the White shaft?

Different drivers for sure. The J40 is lower in spin for me compared to the Classic (which is not high spin). They sound different and offer a different forgiveness level. I think right now I prefer the Classic, but not sure yet.

I like this feedback. I have become more interested in the Miyazaki shafts lately so hearing how each one affects your ball flight is good info. Based on what results you saw I think I'd be more likely to go with the white shaft. Sounds like you had a pretty good mid-high launch with it which is what I like. Did it seem like you saw any more distance with that little bit of extra height or was it not even really noticeable?

Absolutely. It's getting close, just struggling with inconsistency. There are some days I long for the days of consistent slices. Now the majority of my drives are good drives, but those few misses a round could just as easily be a hook as they could a slice. Its certainly coming around.

I would recommend grabbing a few lessons. I played with you and know that you struggle with the same miss I used to. Its a fairly easy fix with a professional and will save a ton of time and money in the process.

Nevermind the distance question. While I was typing that on my phone you we're answering that same question for someone else...good to know

I would recommend grabbing a few lessons. I played with you and know that you struggle with the same miss I used to. Its a fairly easy fix with a professional and will save a ton of time and money in the process.

I've been taking lessons with Golftec for the past couple months. I was taking lessons before that, but have seen a HUGE improvement with golftec. I have pretty much gotten my slice figured out. It tends to peak its ugly head at the most inopportune times though, mostly when I lose focus and allow myself into old habits.

Man I want to hit this driver so bad!!

With the White giving you the slightly higher launch yet still maintaining penatrating ball flight would you see a case where a higher spin play would have issue with that combo, say on a windy day? I don't have much time with the White, but I do remember was how quick the ball got up but held a great angle of rise and descent. Can't wait to see this combo in person.

With the White giving you the slightly higher launch yet still maintaining penatrating ball flight would you see a case where a higher spin play would have issue with that combo, say on a windy day? I don't have much time with the White, but I do remember was how quick the ball got up but held a great angle of rise and descent. Can't wait to see this combo in person.

I dont really, because I am not seeing the towering ball flight I get out of some other shafts. Just a nice penetrating launch that gets up.

I dont really, because I am not seeing the towering ball flight I get out of some other shafts. Just a nice penetrating launch that gets up.

Thanks, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Congratulations, you've got me pondering.

JB,
is the word "classic" distracting at all at address? That is about the only thing I don't like so far about this driver. Just wondering if it an issue or not.

JB,
is the word "classic" distracting at all at address? That is about the only thing I don't like so far about this driver. Just wondering if it an issue or not.

Not to me.

Any new thoughts on the Classic today, or did you not use it during your round? I noticed you mention in the other thread that you used your normal set-up, but I didn't know if that meant you went back to the J40 thats in your sig or if you still kept that in your bag.

I'll tell you what, I'll go ahead and make a sacrafice and offer to demo this club for you when it comes in.

I'll tell you what, I'll go ahead and make a sacrafice and offer to demo this club for you when it comes in.

Might want to read through the thread. We have multiple right now and tons of feedback already on it.

Might want to read through the thread. We have multiple right now and tons of feedback already on it.

lol ya what I was thinking

I went to a local demo day today, and was very excited when I saw that Cleveland had one of these. I was stoked to see it was a 9 degree stiff. Unfortunately the results just weren't there for me. I hit a couple good ones, but I just don't think I get along with this shaft. Disappointing because I really thought I was going to like the driver. I would be really interested in hitting one with a different shaft.

Back