Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Yeah, myself and the deep faced R11 didn't get along all that well, but it was more about the lack of forgiveness in the R11 on toe hits that was the issue for me. If this doesn't have that big problem, then I'm OK with a massive, deep faced driver.

Plus the R11 driver just isn't that good. What a penal driver it is.

Agree with both of you. Wouldnt be too hard to make even a classic looking driver be more forgiving then the R11.

Hopefully have a 2nd one of these on its way, so we will be putting a Miyazaki Kusala White in one of them this weekend. To say I am curious to see the results would be an understatement.

Hopefully have a 2nd one of these on its way, so we will be putting a Miyazaki Kusala White in one of them this weekend. To say I am curious to see the results would be an understatement.

That sounds like something I need to try right there.

That just sounds like a good combo to me for some reason. I really want to see some monitor numbers for spin/launch with this one.

This is exciting and I am looking forward to it.

Unfortunately I have never had the priveledge of trying a miyazaki shaft. I need to try some out sometime to see what all the hype is about to I have no doubt they are amazing based on the feedback they receive here. Regardless, I am interested to see how the performance changes with the other shaft.

Dude you rock! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it...plus you can send me the other one for testing :blob:

Starting to see reviews of this popping up. All positive or very positive. Super low spin, but very forgiving on the toe and heal...... I can't wait to get my hands on it!

I'm very interested to see the results of this. But, in my mind, that's not a combination that looks right together - so I'm kinda looking forward to being proved wrong on this one too.

Right now I think this driver has me more intrigued than the Black! I just love the look!

Right now I think this driver has me more intrigued than the Black! I just love the look!

Same. And the idea of a super-deep face for more forgiveness really sounds appealing. And a Miyazaki shaft comes in it so...

Same. And the idea of a super-deep face for more forgiveness really sounds appealing. And a Miyazaki shaft comes in it so...

Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't 'forgivness' in a driver come from the body mass behind the face, (a la the square drivers), and not the size of the face?

Again, I'm ignorant in this area I'm just trying to clear up my own misconceptions.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but doesn't 'forgivness' in a driver come from the body mass behind the face, (a la the square drivers), and not the size of the face?

Again, I'm ignorant in this area I'm just trying to clear up my own misconceptions.

I believe that's also true, but I also believe that distribution of mass has to do with it which is where the area of the face comes in. I may be totally off though.

In general yes. The more MOI you have behind the ball, the more forgiving it is. However people miss the sweet spot in different ways. For myself and others who tend to like deep faced drivers, it's because we miss up and down of the sweet spot rather then left and right. This in turn makes a deep faced driver more forgiving to us since we'll still hit the ball. Give me a shallow face driver and 50% of my misses are going to be dummy mark shots or at the extreme edge of the top of the face on the driver.

Deep face drivers are less forgiving through. They move the COG and MOI forward towards the face. This means the launch and spin and brought down which is the opposite of forgiving in a club. It also means that ball speed drops more dramatically when you miss the sweet spot over something that is triangular in shape like the Superfast.

In general yes. The more MOI you have behind the ball, the more forgiving it is. However people miss the sweet spot in different ways. For myself and others who tend to like deep faced drivers, it's because we miss up and down of the sweet spot rather then left and right. This in turn makes a deep faced driver more forgiving to us since we'll still hit the ball. Give me a shallow face driver and 50% of my misses are going to be dummy mark shots or at the extreme edge of the top of the face on the driver.

Deep face drivers are less forgiving through. They move the COG and MOI forward towards the face. This means the launch and spin and brought down which is the opposite of forgiving in a club. It also means that ball speed drops more dramatically when you miss the sweet spot over something that is triangular in shape like the Superfast.

Forgiveness is measured by the ability to help players achieve optimum results when missing the balance point of a driver. Deep face over shallow face does not necessarily mean less or more forgiving despite what some places seem to discuss. Just as offset vs onset does not mean more or less forgiving either. Both are "crutches" used to help manipulate a club at impact.

Forgiveness is measured by the ability to help players achieve optimum results when missing the balance point of a driver. Deep face over shallow face does not necessarily mean less or more forgiving despite what some places seem to discuss. Just as offset vs onset does not mean more or less forgiving either. Both are "crutches" used to help manipulate a club at impact.

So in laymans terms, increased ball speed across the face vs a small area of optimal performance?

--
tapatalk

So in laymans terms, increased ball speed across the face vs a small area of optimal performance?

--
tapatalk

Yes. However that does not cover the MOI section of it to assist with ball flight. Technically, that does not help "forgiveness", because it will be different for every person, but as a generalization, it is used as a term and area to assist, therefore making it "forgiving" if that makes sense.

Yes. However that does not cover the MOI section of it to assist with ball flight. Technically, that does not help "forgiveness", because it will be different for every person, but as a generalization, it is used as a term and area to assist, therefore making it "forgiving" if that makes sense.

It does. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

--
tapatalk

For those that have hit this (maybe just JB?) would you say with the deep face/low spin you need a higher loft than what you normally play? If you use say the G15 or the 2009 Launcher as a baseline (which were sort of similar to each other in shape and face depth I think) would you go up in loft to get the same kind of launch or would you say the Classic keep the same launch even with the deeper face and lower spin?

For the Nike Machspeed for example I had to drop to a 9* to keep my ideal launch, while with the L5V (which also had a huge deep face) I needed the 11.5* to accomplish the same thing.

It depends on the person in my opinion. In general terms, lower spin can keep a lower launch so more loft could assist that. However many time the shaft will play a large role in this.

Yesterday I was able to put this driver on the launch monitor and wanted to show the numbers I was getting since people were asking for them. 20 golf balls were hit and these were the averages of the session provided by the AccuSport VectorX

Swing Speed - 104
Ball Speed - 148
Launch Angle - 11.2
Spin - 2998
Carry - 247
Side Spin - 210

I was hitting the ball pretty well and the numbers are really close to my ideal numbers so they say. I still prefer the launch angle and spin to be a tad higher for me to increase carry, because we dont get any roll down in my neck of the woods, but that is a personal and geographical thing.

Yesterday I was able to put this driver on the launch monitor and wanted to show the numbers I was getting since people were asking for them. 20 golf balls were hit and these were the averages of the session provided by the AccuSport VectorX

Swing Speed - 104
Ball Speed - 148
Launch Angle - 11.2
Spin - 2998
Carry - 247
Side Spin - 210

I was hitting the ball pretty well and the numbers are really close to my ideal numbers so they say. I still prefer the launch angle and spin to be a tad higher for me to increase carry, because we dont get any roll down in my neck of the woods, but that is a personal and geographical thing.

Thanks JB. Numbers are looking pretty good. When I say pretty good, I mean they're setting up almost perfectly for you slotting the white in there.....

Swing Speed - 104
Ball Speed - 148
Launch Angle - 11.2
Spin - 2998
Carry - 247
Side Spin - 210

That was with the 10.5* right?

Back