Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

awesome pics and initial thoughts D!

Awesome to see these drivers arriving already. Really looking forward to some range results guys.

Great pictures D and thanks for the background Chunky. Looking forward to seeing some results.

Awesome! Loved the background and unboxing write ups and especially the pics. This is a thread that I will subscribe to as I am like many here and think I am dead square in the target group Cleveland Golf is aiming for with this driver. It sure is sessy.

awesome!!! Great pics and initial writeup.

Love the first impressions and pics. Also nice quick background on who is testing and what they normally look for and see from a driver. This driver looks like a bomber

This is definitely going to be a great one to follow along with, great pics and first impression write up there!

can't get over how nice this driver looks. great first write up.

D, great write-up! You are making me anxious to see this driver in person.

So before I kick my review off I just want to say thanks to THP and Cleveland Golf for this opportunity. I hope I can answer any questions everyone might have and give the best review possible so.

I’ll follow suit of the other testers and give you guys a quick “about me”. I am 22 and play a lot of golf but I have suffered a lot of setbacks/injuries that have caused me to lose my swing speed and distance.

My current swing speed is an average of about 95 MPH (93-98) and I have a steady tempo with consistent contact. My current driver is a R9 SuperTri 10.5* with a C.Kua 59-Stiff (the same shaft in the CG TL310) and I play a slight fade. Distance is one of the most important things for me and lately my drives have been falling short of what I used to hit which has been killing my game. Today I went out to measure distances and was hitting the ball about 230-240.

I chose to test this club in a 10.5* head and a stiff shaft. I am hoping that this driver will not only help my ball flight to be straighter (especially towards the end of the round) but also give me more distance.

I haven’t had my coffee yet so I will post more soon this is just my initial thoughts.

I just got the driver this morning and have to admit this thing is definitely a looker. The head cover is very simple design that looks great with the club and most importantly is very easy to pull off. I am not a huge fan of the grip, which is a Golf Pride Lightweight 25gram (rubber). The bottom of the club head looks amazing with a silver CG logo and a flat black center with the “BLACK 265”. Like other Cleveland drivers there is no aim mark on the top of the crown.

This club is a lot lighter then my R9 but it isn’t whippy if feels really solid. I look a few swings with it and I like how easy it was to swing and I could feel where the club head was the entire time. I think it might be a bit hard to get used to the difference between mine so I am going to hit some balls soon to adjust to it.

Here are some quick pictures:

Headcover:
Spoiler
img0671tf.jpg

Bottom of the club:
Spoiler
392212_10150352511671356_724046355_8608537_1702356030_n.jpg

Comparison photos with R9 SuperTri head:
Spoiler
img0672bj.jpg

img0673ln.jpg

The CG Black has a more centered clubhead mass and is a bit deeper then the R9 Super Tri.

Comparison photos with TL310 head:
Spoiler
img0675bo.jpg

img0674imw.jpg

As you can see the CG Black has a deeper head as well as it is a 460cc instead of 440cc. It also has a black face instead of the normal silver.

More to come soon!

Last edited:
Great pictures concept! Really nice in fact!

Thanks for those comparison photos Concept

I really like the comparison pics, Concept, nice job.

Great photos Concept and nice comparison pics!! Looking forward to hearing some range session thoughts for those that were able to get them in hand so quickly.

I really like the comparision pics! Looking forward to your reviews. I have a question on the headcover, does it look like the strap is sewn in really well with double stitching or anything? I am just curious about how it holds up to being pulled on the club time after time and if it will break at the stitching?

I really like the comparision pics! Looking forward to your reviews. I have a question on the headcover, does it look like the strap is sewn in really well with double stitching or anything? I am just curious about how it holds up to being pulled on the club time after time and if it will break at the stitching?
I dont think there would be any problems with it, but definitely something for the testers to keep an eye on during their time with the Black drivers.

Funny how the headcover is so important. I hate the Ping headcover on my G15. Takes brute force at just the right angle to get that sukka off.

Nice pics concept! Good job.

I can only say it seems very solid. But to be clear, it isn't just a strap, the whole top of the head cover is one piece with extra padding/leather to delineate what we are calling the strap.

The head cover seems better then the one that came on my TL310. It is a lot easier to get on/off and I am sure is just as durable if not more.

Quick update: I just went to PGA SS to swing a bit with the club (got stuck in the smallest hitting bay ever) and did a comparison with my driver and the CG Black. I hit about 10 balls with each where I was choked up on the Black due to constraints and was still finding about 10 yards more distance then my R9 but with a much stronger fade. It is going to take me some time to get used to the driver but so far I am impressed with its feel and sound. I am going to play 18 tomorrow with this so I will try to have more pictures/video.

Thanks for the support guys hopefully these testing nerves wear off soon.

The head cover seems better then the one that came on my TL310. It is a lot easier to get on/off and I am sure is just as durable if not more.

Quick update: I just went to PGA SS to swing a bit with the club (got stuck in the smallest hitting bay ever) and did a comparison with my driver and the CG Black. I hit about 10 balls with each where I was choked up on the Black due to constraints and was still finding about 10 yards more distance then my R9 but with a much stronger fade. It is going to take me some time to get used to the driver but so far I am impressed with its feel and sound. I am going to play 18 tomorrow with this so I will try to have more pictures/video.

Nice strong start!

Concept nice pics and feedback bro. I really like the side by side but let's things go on the course. The hitting bay does not do it justice. Have fun!!!

Nice update, glad you were able to get to the range. Put this in play tomorrow and see what it can really do!

I will be following this one closely. Cleveland has always produced for me and I think it is time to retire the old.Diablo. of course I will give all the new products a swing and figure out what works best for me but I have high hopes for this one.

That is a slick looking driver....interested to see how they feel on the golf ball!

Back