Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

I am just so into the 54/58 CBX4 right now. This happens sometimes when I use a certain club more than others to dial in swing changes, but the consistency I'm seeing with partial swings is just so dialed. I ran through a skills assessment with 50% and 75% swings and came away with something like a 2 index.

My miss on the face tends to be low toe and that's a very good miss with these wedges. Probably around 95% the expected distance.
How much on course time has the 58 gotten so far? I'm guessing the 54 is going to work out well, just thinking through if I want to add a 48/50 or go to 58/60 with the next one

How much on course time has the 58 gotten so far? I'm guessing the 54 is going to work out well, just thinking through if I want to add a 48/50 or go to 58/60 with the next one
It has a few rounds, along with a decent amount of time at the practice green. I've found it performs really well with both the partial swings and green side pitches/chips. Plenty of spin, easy enough to open up, and the sole keeps the chunks from completely killing shots.

Just waiting to get healthy to pull the trigger on a new bag. These will be the wedges as I have loved the CBX wedges I currently have. Thanks for the review Hawk!

Waiting out a softball practice last night, so I hit a pitching area and worked on everything I could. Flat, uphill, downhill, bare, rough, fluffy. All of it. First real practice like this on grass for 2024 and my results ranged from amazing to awful. About what you'd expect I guess.

I was setting up in the 25-35 yard range.

While I was hitting a dozen balls off a bare lie (which is easily my least favorite wedge shot) and not dominating like my feeble brain expected, I had a thought. I looked at the green and noticed 11 balls on the green and one on the fringe. Five in a decently makable range, and the rest in the 15-30 foot range. Not great, right? Maybe I'm just a perpetual optimist, but I realized I'd made truly solid contact on about 2 of these shots. Not one of the bad swings dug and saw the ball die before it got to the green. A few were toe side and better than most. A few I slid into the ball and managed to get the ball on the green.

In a game where a guy like me is hoping for par and really just aiming for bogey on many holes, I suppose that's kind of why I'm playing these things.

CBX4 may be moving along after my round last night. Loved them at the range off of mats but hit almost every shot, whether full swing or partial, fat last night during my round. I have never had such an issue as I did last night and was ready to snap both wedges.

I was hitting everything else very well and by the end of the round I started to hit partial shots and chips with my PXG Gen6 0311P GW rather than the CBX4 54 or 58.

No idea why as I had previously played CBX ZipCore in 56/60 last year for a good portion of the season and enjoyed them.

Will be taking my Vokeys out next round to see how they work to compare.

Waiting out a softball practice last night, so I hit a pitching area and worked on everything I could. Flat, uphill, downhill, bare, rough, fluffy. All of it. First real practice like this on grass for 2024 and my results ranged from amazing to awful. About what you'd expect I guess.

I was setting up in the 25-35 yard range.

While I was hitting a dozen balls off a bare lie (which is easily my least favorite wedge shot) and not dominating like my feeble brain expected, I had a thought. I looked at the green and noticed 11 balls on the green and one on the fringe. Five in a decently makable range, and the rest in the 15-30 foot range. Not great, right? Maybe I'm just a perpetual optimist, but I realized I'd made truly solid contact on about 2 of these shots. Not one of the bad swings dug and saw the ball die before it got to the green. A few were toe side and better than most. A few I slid into the ball and managed to get the ball on the green.

In a game where a guy like me is hoping for par and really just aiming for bogey on many holes, I suppose that's kind of why I'm playing these things.
Good to hear that they can more or less handle bare dirt lies as I get some of those through the late summer months.

The 54 is in hand! And after hitting a bunch of pitches in the bay I went ahead and ordered a GW and LW to match. Pretty excited about having them in the bag. Need to get them all to the range to dial in my matrix.

CBX4 may be moving along after my round last night. Loved them at the range off of mats but hit almost every shot, whether full swing or partial, fat last night during my round. I have never had such an issue as I did last night and was ready to snap both wedges.

I was hitting everything else very well and by the end of the round I started to hit partial shots and chips with my PXG Gen6 0311P GW rather than the CBX4 54 or 58.

No idea why as I had previously played CBX ZipCore in 56/60 last year for a good portion of the season and enjoyed them.

Will be taking my Vokeys out next round to see how they work to compare.
I could totally relate and the wide sole just doesn't fit into my wanting to control trajectory with a little wrist action the Vokey or RTX 6 was better for that.

I have the 50° CBX4 in the bag w/ Recoil Dart 105. And after one round, it like my favorite club in the bag. The bounce makes it easy to hit bump & runs when you come up short of the green. And on 3/4 & full swings, this club is money.

This might be recency bias, but this head and shaft combo feels great, and so far I’m glad I went with this wedge instead of the set AW.
IMG_2135.jpeg
The arsenal is set… CBX4 50° RTX6 54° & 58°

View attachment 9256601
The arsenal is set… CBX4 50° RTX6 54° & 58°
You are spicy with those RTX. My RTX 58 Will be hanging jn the wings but I’m going to start with full on CBX first. I think their sole work will be more than adequate for my game.

You are spicy with those RTX. My RTX 58 Will be hanging jn the wings but I’m going to start with full on CBX first. I think their sole work will be more than adequate for my game.
I like saucy.

Cleveland has pulled quite the trick to design a sole that can protect me from the fats ones on the range yet also lets me slide the club under for a saucy little chip.

I’m really excited to see how this year goes with a set of these in the bag.

You know, I read these reviews, understand them, give a thumbs up, and then fail retain the information when it matters.

I've had so much success with the first CBX wedge I received a few years ago that I decided to buy additional ones with varying lofts. I talked to the manager at my club who sells Cleveland products. I showed him my 60° CBX and he erroneously told me the RTX wedges he sells are the same thing, just newer. He then loaned me his personal RTXs to demo on the rounds. After hitting nice shots with them during the front 9, I went ahead and purchased the 52°. After getting home, I realized there is a difference between the models, and for me, that difference is significant. Now that I realize this, I can't get it out of my head. And confidence - or lack thereof - is a huge deal for me.

While I had success with the 52° RTX during the round and practice afterwards, it is not as easy to hit. I have to either get use to the new wedge, or find someone with a similarly lofted CBX willing to trade for it.

My short game is better than the rest of my game - which is to say it might be average compared to the rest of golfing population (SG says my short game is that of a 10 capper). But my "superpower" is not in hitting the wedges perfectly and getting great contact, it's in the feel of knowing where to land the shot and how much of a partial swing to put on the ball. Success from that skill comes only when decent contact is accomplished.

You know, I read these reviews, understand them, give a thumbs up, and then fail retain the information when it matters.

I've had so much success with the first CBX wedge I received a few years ago that I decided to buy additional ones with varying lofts. I talked to the manager at my club who sells Cleveland products. I showed him my 60° CBX and he erroneously told me the RTX wedges he sells are the same thing, just newer. He then loaned me his personal RTXs to demo on the rounds. After hitting nice shots with them during the front 9, I went ahead and purchased the 52°. After getting home, I realized there is a difference between the models, and for me, that difference is significant. Now that I realize this, I can't get it out of my head. And confidence - or lack thereof - is a huge deal for me.

While I had success with the 52° RTX during the round and practice afterwards, it is not as easy to hit. I have to either get use to the new wedge, or find someone with a similarly lofted CBX willing to trade for it.

My short game is better than the rest of my game - which is to say it might be average compared to the rest of golfing population (SG says my short game is that of a 10 capper). But my "superpower" is not in hitting the wedges perfectly and getting great contact, it's in the feel of knowing where to land the shot and how much of a partial swing to put on the ball. Success from that skill comes only when decent contact is accomplished.
That’s a bummer. Yes, quite a substantial difference in about every single way.

First round with the CBX4 and I’m pretty smitten. Had three shots right at 100 and I was all over the number. The pitch shots had the right distance as well and plenty of workability around the green. A few had line issues but that’s on me. Shot Scope had me at a +2.3 strokes against a 5 handicapper so these are not just for high caps golfers.

Plus, these are so soft! They feel really good.

This was my face after warmup, justifying my choice for the season:
IMG_8296.jpeg

I didn’t hit this 50° a lot today, but when I did it performed extremely well. On tight lies like here Briggs Ranch, you just can’t decelerate and commit to get the desired results.

After reading through the reviews, I'm definitely going to pick up a 54 and 58. I'm pretty set on mid bounce for my 54, but what would you guys recommend for my 58? My home course has firm bermuda fairways, and I'm not the best out of bunkers.

After reading through the reviews, I'm definitely going to pick up a 54 and 58. I'm pretty set on mid bounce for my 54, but what would you guys recommend for my 58? My home course has firm bermuda fairways, and I'm not the best out of bunkers.
The CBX4 wedges only come with one bounce/grind per loft. That said, I played earlier this year with a CBX4 on firmer winter ground and didn’t have many issues.

Do you engage the bounce with your wedges? If so I think a CBX4 would work at a 58 deg spot. If you like low bounce wedges the RTX wedges may be more towards your liking.

The CBX4 wedges only come with one bounce/grind per loft. That said, I played earlier this year with a CBX4 on firmer winter ground and didn’t have many issues.

Do you engage the bounce with your wedges? If so I think a CBX4 would work at a 58 deg spot. If you like low bounce wedges the RTX wedges may be more towards your liking.
That's right, I've been looking at so many wedges of late I forgot about that. I'll probably go with 54 and 58 in the CBX4.

Thanks

Really enjoying the 54 right now. Seemingly every approach or pitch was going right on the number. Makes for boring, simple golf which is good golf.

I did miss one shot today with it. Had a probably 20 yard pitch into and elevates green that then ran away. Best play is to die it into the hillside and let it trickle on if you want to get close to a front pin (Or just lob it high, and watch it roll out for a 20’ putt…)

Trying to put it through its paces, it felt that I hit a good one but the ball seemed to come out hotter and higher than I expected. Certainly could have been me but felt like the right strike. Going to work on this more lower shot here shortly

Back