Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

You guys have got me real curious about these irons, i have been having a real problem getting my irons up lately. Seems like no matter what i do my ball flight is way low thus skipping off greens. Just curious might there be a set of these at the Atlanta invt, that could be demoed?

Niteowl03 (Aaron) even took a few swipes with mine yesterday and while he doesn't care for the looks, the performance was there....even as he was struggling with his JPX 800's some. 6 iron - 180....no problem for him. Cool to see people come believers as they try them with a shaft pretty close to what they need.

These things continue to piss me off. I was having a terrible ball striking day yesterday all the way around my bag. I have hit the Altitudes before but with a senior flex shaft as it was the only one available and they werent bad. Yesterday I took 2 swings with Cookie's. First I just threw a ball in the fairway to test it, grabbed the 6i and put what I can only assume to be the same crappy swing on it that I had put on everything else all day. Nice little Alti-click off the face ball went high and fairly straight. I think I pulled it a bit left but Im really not sure 100% where I was aiming but I think that may me mostly due to the 55g shafts coming from my 120g. The closest point we could laser was 177yds out and I was 5-10yds past it. I think my JPX 6i was going about 160 max with roll yesterday. The second shot was on a 170yd par 3 I grabbed the 7i, again pulled left a little and taken a bit off the toe but was probably 5yds off the fringe. These clubs really are incredible and even my father-in-law has been asking me for the last month or 2 when I am going to buy a set because I talk about them all the time. They should rename these to the Cleveland "Simpsons" as it really is getting away with murder. I cant wait for the price to drop on these a bit so I can convince the wife to let me buy a set of these wonderful "shovels"!!!!

"shovels" I like that. Are you a believer now?

As forgiving as they are, you still need a semi consistant swing.

Bottom line is they are a blast.

To all those testers and users out there, I've been looking high and low into a 4iron replacement for my set as I cannot hit it straight or get any lift on it. I tend to slice it massively but when I do hit it well (maybe 5% of the time) it goes about 215yds. Would you guys think that a 4i of this set would possibly help my problem.

"shovels" I like that. Are you a believer now?

That's an inside jab at Cookie. I've been a believer, but I really want to hit some in a shaft better fit for me, the 55g just didn't fit my swing. I think I shot 140 yesterday and it probably could have been 120 with these. Great clubs but as Jman has stated at the end of the day a bad swing is still a bad swing.

I am absolutely amazed by the response I'm seeing on these. I'm really curious how the mid irons are hacking through the rough and the head weight given the size. I'm not surprised people play them through the mid irons (or through 9i), but I am surprised that people play the PW or even beyond that. I'd really like to hear more from people who play the wedges. 2 things have always hindered my use of SGI irons: offset and not enough distance on good hits. Any SGI sets I've ever used concentrate so much on launch and spin that good-perfect hits end up with too much of both. I'm not hearing any of that on these. A 6-9 set to go with my 3-5 hybrids and matching PW to my other wedges seems like a doable experiment. I wonder how these would feel on some aerotechs.

On a side note, I wonder why didn't they just smooth out that topline so that all the clubs just look like tiny hybrids at address instead of that strange matte black cavity

This is my biggest pet peeve with these irons as well. I think the plastic black backing on the hybrids looks crappy.

I was in for a long overdue lesson at golftec Friday and I told my instructor that these clubs were on their way. I am trying to soften the blow for when they show up in my bag. Anyways, I can't wait for them to finally arrive. Surprised that stiff graphite shafts had to be a custom order for these and the wait is killing me.

To all those testers and users out there, I've been looking high and low into a 4iron replacement for my set as I cannot hit it straight or get any lift on it. I tend to slice it massively but when I do hit it well (maybe 5% of the time) it goes about 215yds. Would you guys think that a 4i of this set would possibly help my problem.

If you can wait a few weeks I'll bring a 3 and 4 for you to try out in Elgin.

Of course I went to GG to spend some more time with these. There wasn't any stiff flex in graphite, so I hit the regular. The distance was great, but the ball was turning left on me. As far as feel goes, impact felt great, was actually surprised it was hooking on me. My irons are 2 flat, so maybe that's part of the issue. The other part is the swing, so a lesson to go along with the club is probably a good idea.

I'd like to hit these more in stiff flex, so will look around. Otherwise, I might start out with one and get a feel for it before getting others. I'm still pretty intrigued.

If you can wait a few weeks I'll bring a 3 and 4 for you to try out in Elgin.

That'd be awesome Hawk. Trying to put the bandaid on my swing til winter when I get new irons and that will be a new challenge in itself

Threw a bid on a set on the bay. Won't get them tho as the reserve was not met. Watched another set that is buy it now with free shipping for $499. Extremely tempting....

Threw a bid on a set on the bay. Won't get them tho as the reserve was not met. Watched another set that is buy it now with free shipping for $499. Extremely tempting....

Do it....u can recover most by selling current set

Do it....u can recover most by selling current set

I'm sure I could. Not so sure I would wanna get rid of my babies tho. I love my blades. I'd keep them just for looks. But I wanna get some more time with the Tudes. Try and hit some shots out of the rough with them all that good stuff.

Seriously pondering these right now, not sure they would help with my current woes, however, as they do have a hosel.

While I was out this evening, a very special package arrived..... 3 to DW of the Altitudes with the Stock stiff UST 55 gram graphite shafts.

I was pretty giddy to say the least, and a little bummed that at 10pm there was no where to go hit them. I'll be sneaking out tomorrow for sure sometime during the day to break em in.

This was also my first look at the 3 iron in the set. Well, not sure how else to say it.... its massive. Like VW Bug on a stick huge. It also has noticeably more offset than the lower irons, but still set up well to my eye on the carpet in the living room. I am a little nervous about the UST shafts instead of the C. Kuas I used at the outing, but I have to say they felt pretty good with the waggle test indoors. I think they'll be fine and I'll know for sure real soon.

This was also my first time looking down at the DW (Gap wedge). While it has a pretty thick top line, overall it looks pretty decent and think will fill the gap nicely between the PW and my 52* Mizuno wedge. If anyone wants pics of the full set, I'm happy to get them up here tomorrow. I'll probably at least take a pic of the 3 and the DW as these are new to me and maybe some others that have been checking the 'Tudes out.

I look forward to lowering my scores and winning some cash and will certainly keep updating this thread as I get to put them in play.

While I was out this evening, a very special package arrived..... 3 to DW of the Altitudes with the Stock stiff UST 55 gram graphite shafts.

I was pretty giddy to say the least, and a little bummed that at 10pm there was no where to go hit them. I'll be sneaking out tomorrow for sure sometime during the day to break em in.

This was also my first look at the 3 iron in the set. Well, not sure how else to say it.... its massive. Like VW Bug on a stick huge. It also has noticeably more offset than the lower irons, but still set up well to my eye on the carpet in the living room. I am a little nervous about the UST shafts instead of the C. Kuas I used at the outing, but I have to say they felt pretty good with the waggle test indoors. I think they'll be fine and I'll know for sure real soon.

This was also my first time looking down at the DW (Gap wedge). While it has a pretty thick top line, overall it looks pretty decent and think will fill the gap nicely between the PW and my 52* Mizuno wedge. If anyone wants pics of the full set, I'm happy to get them up here tomorrow. I'll probably at least take a pic of the 3 and the DW as these are new to me and maybe some others that have been checking the 'Tudes out.

I look forward to lowering my scores and winning some cash and will certainly keep updating this thread as I get to put them in play.

Glad they arrived dude! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about gaming a whole bag of them. You'll enjoy the shafts in them IMO, I was much impressed.

FWIW, the offset in the 3/4 are .090", the 5-7 are .080" and the 8-SW are .070". :alien:

Seriously though, I CAN'T WAIT until you get them out!!!!

Glad they arrived dude! Can't wait to hear your thoughts about gaming a whole bag of them. You'll enjoy the shafts in them IMO, I was much impressed.

FWIW, the offset in the 3/4 are .090", the 5-7 are .080" and the 8-SW are .070". :alien:

Seriously though, I CAN'T WAIT until you get them out!!!!

You and me both. Tomorrow might not be a very productive work day. If there are any decent golfnow deals I may be putting them right into play.

golf4life I hope they work as well for you as they did at the THP outing. Would you consider the C. kua shafts if the stock shafts don't work out for you?
I look forward to your photos and initial range and course session write ups.
I am also curious the distance difference in the 3altitude and the M1.

golf4life I hope they work as well for you as they did at the THP outing. Would you consider the C. kua shafts if the stock shafts don't work out for you?
I look forward to your photos and initial range and course session write ups.
I am also curious the distance difference in the 3altitude and the M1.

Thanks, I hope so too. I would definitely consider putting the C. Kuas in there if these shafts don't work out. I almost spent the extra coin to do it up front but hopefully these do the trick.

I'll make sure to note distance differences between the M1 and the 3 Tude. I'll also be putting the 3 tude up against the M3 head to head and see what is what.

Thanks, I hope so too. I would definitely consider putting the C. Kuas in there if these shafts don't work out. I almost spent the extra coin to do it up front but hopefully these do the trick.

I'll make sure to note distance differences between the M1 and the 3 Tude. I'll also be putting the 3 tude up against the M3 head to head and see what is what.

Do you suppose you could use the shafts from the mashie hybrids in the altitudes?
That might actually work, you might have to adjust the length of the shafts some.

Good luck with the stock set-up, that would be the best case.

Do you suppose you could use the shafts from the mashie hybrids in the altitudes?
That might actually work, you might have to adjust the length of the shafts some.

Good luck with the stock set-up, that would be the best case.

I would think the m3 hybrid shaft could work in the 3 altitude. Hopefully we won't even have to think about it. Pretty psyched about the ust shafts.

Cleveland site says they have a fitting day at a golftec near me in a few days. I may have to give these a hack then. Anyone ever done that? Are they like demo days anywhere else? I assume it's free if it's like a demo day.

Please also try to do a test of the hybrids vs. the 3/4-irons off the tee. Think I'm set on the 6-SW setup, but want to also add either a 3-iron or 4-iron specifically for an 'automatic' club off the tee on shorter par 4's. Leaning towards the 4i 2* strong and a half-inch short (won't be using it off the deck so the decreased bounce doesn't concern me).

Here are some pics of the 3 and DW.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371047419.531672.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371047438.294511.jpg

You can see the DW has much less
Offset. But notice too that the length of the blades is as best I can tell identical. I kind of like that. As much lateral forgiveness in the gap wedge as the 3.

And here's the new bag. Gulp....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371048116.335044.jpg

Back