Checkered's Journey to the Morgan Cup and Better Golf

Keep at it, you'll do great.

It feels odd now not having the event as an extra motivator to practice. I'm still determined to get better though. I got out this last weekend to the range. Still off mats this time of year so it's kind of meh, but at least getting swings in and hitting balls.

Hybrids, irons, and wedges feel good and the rust is coming off pretty quickly. Hitting them well and reminded how much I love the Cobra clubs. Driver is gonna take more work. Had some good ones where I stayed down through the swing in between some roughness. Very few were horrible though, so that is promising. Spending time during my lunches and after work just swinging driver in the back yard trying to get the feel of getting through the ball back. I'm confident it will go more quickly than previously with the guidance I've gotten. Still, it's frustrating at times.

Doing better working on getting in better shape recently as well, but always room to do more. I'm doing some weight work every day and getting walks in most days. My weight is the lowest it's been in a lot of years, but still got a ways to go to where I want to be.

It feels odd now not having the event as an extra motivator to practice. I'm still determined to get better though. I got out this last weekend to the range. Still off mats this time of year so it's kind of meh, but at least getting swings in and hitting balls.

Hybrids, irons, and wedges feel good and the rust is coming off pretty quickly. Hitting them well and reminded how much I love the Cobra clubs. Driver is gonna take more work. Had some good ones where I stayed down through the swing in between some roughness. Very few were horrible though, so that is promising. Spending time during my lunches and after work just swinging driver in the back yard trying to get the feel of getting through the ball back. I'm confident it will go more quickly than previously with the guidance I've gotten. Still, it's frustrating at times.

Doing better working on getting in better shape recently as well, but always room to do more. I'm doing some weight work every day and getting walks in most days. My weight is the lowest it's been in a lot of years, but still got a ways to go to where I want to be.
Don’t you have an AZ THP outing to look forward to? Keep working on that driver swing. It is going to click and you won’t look back!

Don’t you have an AZ THP outing to look forward to? Keep working on that driver swing. It is going to click and you won’t look back!
haha true. I'm very much looking forward to it and hope I can play better than last time I was down that way. We'll see though. Going to get a couple rounds in before then, but it's soooo wet here still.

Thanks brother. Appreciate it!!

Keep at it @checkered , you will get it done. You have even inspired me to get out walking.

I'll be following your journey, @checkered - so stoked to see you going to the Morgan Cup! You got this, and it'll be fun to see it happen! 👊
What is the Morgan cup?

haha true. I'm very much looking forward to it and hope I can play better than last time I was down that way. We'll see though. Going to get a couple rounds in before then, but it's soooo wet here still.

Thanks brother. Appreciate it!!
Looking forward to meeting you at this my man 👊 . Hope we get an opportunity to tee it up!

What is the Morgan cup?
JB sent the link, definitely go check it out. I was in last year's and it was an incredible experience. It was beyond anything i ever imagined being a part of and incredibly fun. It truly was the Tour Player experience and i am forever grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of it.

It's great to read this. I hope you continue with things. Good goals to have.

John, keep after it. Your attitude is fantastic and love for the game is strong. You're going to improve by leaps and bounds this year.

1000011893.jpg

New net and mat set up in the back yard. Need to rake and level off the hitting area somehow. Not sure what all that bright light is about. I vaguely remember it from somewhere. 😂😂

Getting back to the daily practice routine and trying to shake off the winter rust. Swing is feeling pretty decent though, so i feel hopeful to build off the progress from last year. Just a couple weeks till i head down to AZ, so gotta get a couple rounds in ASAP. Goal is to get the cap under 20 this year.

View attachment 9253662

New net and mat set up in the back yard. Need to rake and level off the hitting area somehow. Not sure what all that bright light is about. I vaguely remember it from somewhere. 😂😂

Getting back to the daily practice routine and trying to shake off the winter rust. Swing is feeling pretty decent though, so i feel hopeful to build off the progress from last year. Just a couple weeks till i head down to AZ, so gotta get a couple rounds in ASAP. Goal is to get the cap under 20 this year.
Yes sir, love it buddy! Put in the work and the results will be there!

View attachment 9253662

This is the year you get it done. 👊 Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks!

View attachment 9253662

Keep your feet under ya!!!
Look forward to following your trip to AZ 👍

Yes sir, love it buddy! Put in the work and the results will be there!
Thanks bro. Trying...got lots of work to do.
This is the year you get it done. 👊 Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks!
I sure hope so! I am excited and looking forward to seeing you as well!!
Keep your feet under ya!!!
Look forward to following your trip to AZ 👍
Yessir! Really trying to focus on that. Appreciate you bro.

One thing i realized today....clubs sound HUGELY different with my hearing aids now. It is a trip. Going to take a bit to get used to it. Not sure how i feel about it yet.

Love this man! Keep working!

View attachment 9253662

Divine light?

I have a good feeling that you can achieve your goal. You showed you could play some at the MC. Best of luck. Enjoy your trip and your golf season.

The weather is starting to get better, so I'm back to putting in work. I've been putting a lot of thought into things after the trip to Arizona. I left there frustrated with my game and what the heck I'm doing. I had some good shots, but scores were not great, though mostly consistent. I had one good nine, which gave me hope, but I've got to figure out how to keep it together for a full round. As many have probably seen, and @Wonger so eloquently pointed out, I struggle keeping my feet under me and stepping out of my swing lately. In trying to figure out wtf I'm doing (as it is very much not intentional), I think I've figured something out. I've always struggled with my balance through my swing due to swaying, and I think this is a key part of the issue.

I went to the driving range Tuesday evening to try out my theory with really fantastic results. This has my hopes back up and got me really wanting to put in work more. It's going to take a bit to really drive the change in but I'm hopeful I'm truly onto something and can get things moving the right way again.

I'm going to start getting out to play again more and have the net set up out back, so I intend to put in work every day I can going forward. Still holding to the goal of getting my cap at least under 20 this year. Here's hoping...

The weather is starting to get better, so I'm back to putting in work. I've been putting a lot of thought into things after the trip to Arizona. I left there frustrated with my game and what the heck I'm doing. I had some good shots, but scores were not great, though mostly consistent. I had one good nine, which gave me hope, but I've got to figure out how to keep it together for a full round. As many have probably seen, and @Wonger so eloquently pointed out, I struggle keeping my feet under me and stepping out of my swing lately. In trying to figure out wtf I'm doing (as it is very much not intentional), I think I've figured something out. I've always struggled with my balance through my swing due to swaying, and I think this is a key part of the issue.

I went to the driving range Tuesday evening to try out my theory with really fantastic results. This has my hopes back up and got me really wanting to put in work more. It's going to take a bit to really drive the change in but I'm hopeful I'm truly onto something and can get things moving the right way again.

I'm going to start getting out to play again more and have the net set up out back, so I intend to put in work every day I can going forward. Still holding to the goal of getting my cap at least under 20 this year. Here's hoping...
You're going to get there. This is the year of Checkered!

Keep it up my man. Knowing what you ned to do and being able to do it practically are two different things. Keep working at it and keep having fun with it! 💪

Love to hear a little spark get ignited here my man. It was awesome meeting you down in AZ and getting to play a round - you hit some golf shots out there, and if you put the work in a little bit and stay consistent, getting under a 20 will be no issue for you 👊

You can do it, just keep swinging.

Played 18 this last weekend. got out hella early, so we got around as a foursome walking in about 3.5 hours, which was nice. Didn't have my best swing but was able to check myself and keep things from getting too bad. I have to not rush myself. I have a bad habit of rushing my swing when I"m worried others in the group are slowing us down and we need to move more to keep pace. I need to make sure I reset and focus between each shot, and maintain balance through the swing. Shot 98 overall from their blues, but it's a short course so I should be able to do better.

Just got in from taking swings out back. Feeling good that I at least know what to do. Gotta keep grooving it to get where i can carry it over into my rounds. Still motivated, and these clubs are so fun to play, so hopeful I can still get to my goal. Lots of work to do, but trying to stay positive. Playing again Friday after work with a coworker.

Any chance a mod could change the title of this to either remove the reference to Morgan Cup or add "2023" to the Morgan Cup, so I don't cause any confusion? I should have thought of that when I created it.

Thank you all who have been following and encouraging me.

Just slow down and swing smooth, keep your tempo. You will do great.

Back