Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

i really think this club is my fairway finder off the tee.... i hit it a few times due to weird holes today and was dead center in the fairway on all of them. driver was also a little off today so its nice to have another option off the tee... can't wait to try the Fairway wood.

i really think this club is my fairway finder off the tee.... i hit it a few times due to weird holes today and was dead center in the fairway on all of them. driver was also a little off today so its nice to have another option off the tee... can't wait to try the Fairway wood.
I know this is as long as most people drivers bro. Glad you have this for Caledonia

I know this is as long as most people drivers bro. Glad you have this for Caledonia

haha still hope i can hit my driver there. i am a little bull headed at times when it comes to that.

haha still hope i can hit my driver there. i am a little bull headed at times when it comes to that.

I think even if you can't, hitting that hybrid will go a long long way and straight.

I think even if you can't, hitting that hybrid will go a long long way and straight.

i was crushing it again today about 240 uphill and 250 flat into a par 5 its a great club i really just need to have some more time with it i really would love to try to start working my hybo again. i love having a club i can draw off the tee. and i could do that with my old hybo this thing still just wants to go straight which is never a bad thing but i think tomorrow i'll work on it on the course.

Just got to the range :)

i was crushing it again today about 240 uphill and 250 flat into a par 5 its a great club i really just need to have some more time with it i really would love to try to start working my hybo again. i love having a club i can draw off the tee. and i could do that with my old hybo this thing still just wants to go straight which is never a bad thing but i think tomorrow i'll work on it on the course.

Heck yeah man give that club the full treatment. True Blue seems like a course that would be penal even as wide open as it is. Having hybrid into those greens would be better than a fw I would think

This is, without doubt, the best hybrid I've hit. Long, straight, and I feel like I can hit it off any lie. I hit a tee ball about 260 into the wind today. Just a bomb.

The great thing is that I don't even have to think about it - I just pull the trigger and let it fly. It's awesome.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There has been some absolutely incredible information posted in this thread, and I would like to thank the testers for doing an incredible job putting this one through it's paces. This testing is now complete, however, feel free to continue to update this thread with your thoughts.

Thanks.

There has been some absolutely incredible information posted in this thread, and I would like to thank the testers for doing an incredible job putting this one through it's paces. This testing is now complete, however, feel free to continue to update this thread with your thoughts.

Thanks.

i'm just getting started!!!! seriously though everyone who has been testing has been knocking it out of the park has had me PUMPED to get my hybo for a while now. and after hitting it so well i can't wait to get my fairway wood. X HOTS are real deal this year.

Hey guys! I'm here to report on my 20 degree hybrid that will be played (and played often) in the Morgan Cup this July. Let me start off by saying me and hybrids have not gotten along in the past. I have always had a tendency to hook them be it the offset or just the weight in the club. So for that reason I've been on the lookout for the past couple of years for a hybrid that I got along with. I've hit/played the Callaway from last year, the mashie, the Amp hybrid and many many others. Nothing. No consistency at all. I have marks on my forehead from bashing it into the wall after many of rounds from trouble the hybrid got me into. That changed recently..........

So far I am in love with this 20 degree Callaway XHot hybrid. In love. My first couple of times with it on the course I tended to pull them a bit left so began to make a slight adjustment. I've played a few rounds with it so far and it always seems to find the fairway for me off the tee. This is a must!! My first round yesterday with it I didn't hit very well but they were just some poor swings at the ball. The 2nd round was much better. I have yet to figure out how long I'm hitting it off the tee but it's going far.

No longer do I have that sick feeling in my stomach when I reach to pull the hybrid cover off my club. Quite the opposite. I know now I have a darn good change at hitting a pretty darn good shot with this club each time I reach for it. And that is what you want with a hybrid. Still have some rounds to play around with it but so far I'm very excited about what this could do for my game.

Thanks.

Thanks Ryan. It was alot of fun. Thank you again to THP and Callaway for the opportunity.

I agree after many rounds with the 20 Pro is still amazes me how I hit this thing, yeah I had a few bad hits but that was mostly me hitting the club when I should of hit a Iron instead from thick rough, by far the best purchase I made this year when I re-did my bag.

I would like to thank Callaway golf and THP for the tremendous opportunity of testing these hybrids. The hybrids themselves are great and perform very admirably for the market they're in because it is a segment that is getting very crowded.

Since the testing has concluded I'm quite certain each tester has given their direct opinion and findings about the strengths and weaknesses of the X Hot Hybrid. If you add them all up, I think the strengths certainly outweigh the weaknesses. Does Callaway have some room for improvement with the next generation of hybrids? I think most certainly YES, they do. The main fact to take away from this testing is that Callaway is returning to the days of producing equipment that not only competes in the market but exceeds it many ways. It may sound cliche' but I truly believe the best is yet to come. Congratulations Callaway on delivering a product worthy of your namesake...

Big shoutout to the testers who took the time to really dissect this hybrid and give honest feedback about it. While I wasn't in here all the time, when I had a question it was answered very thoughtfully.

Well done guys.

I guess one thing that I can say for sure about this hybrid is that it will be staying in my bag for a long time. Not out of obligation, but just because it works for me.

Thank you all for testing this club. I'm sure it has helped a lot of people make a decision

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hit my 4H today on the par 3 junior course. It was 187 to the pin. Put a smooth swing on it, hit a beautiful ball. It started a bit more left than I wanted and faded a bit more than I wanted, so I was shocked that I still put it over the back. That was a monster 4H for me.

I'll have a more thorough wrap up later. I've been juggling multiple fires all day, and just wanted to get that quick thought out there. This club has been a pleasure to test, and I am grateful for having had the opportunity!

Striped my hybrid today boys. Thoughts when I get home from the course!

My initial outing with my X Hot 3 hybrid was a bit scary. I pulled it 4 times. 2 of them were big ole hooks, 1 was a dead straight "bomb" that I hit in the middle of the fairway, but never found. It was my tee shot on my par 5, so I dropped it in the middle of the fairway and hit it again. I hit that one a bit low on the face, but it still got up in the air, and I thought would have had pretty good distance on it, but it only traveled 195. That made me think I may not hit this club near as far as I was expecting I would, and the reason I couldn't find my tee shot was I was looking too far down the fairway.

If it is in fact a 195 club for me, it'll fill a gap nicely... between my 5 and 6 iron.

I'm sure I will see good distance out of this club in the end, I'm just a little concerned with the two hooks. I need to get it out on the range to see if I can't figure it out.

Date: 6-21-2013
Course: Bavarian Hills Golf Course
Conditions: Dry, Hot, Humid

Now Friday is our league day so we always play the opposite side that we'll play league on prior to the actual league beginning, that way we can get in a full 18. Yesterday they had a big group out people from out of town so we ended up playing the back side twice. That means I hit this on most of the same holes, unfortunately.

First 9:
Hole 11: Fairly short par-4 but all uphill. Trees on the left and trees on the right, so finding the fairway is pretty critical. Of course, this is the perfect X-Hot hole for my tee ball. Sure enough I tee'd one low and put it back in my stance a touch so I could keep it low and let it run out. Hit a perfect little draw on it that was actually longer than the balls my playing partners hit with driver. Wedge and a 2 putt later left me with a routine par.

Hole 14: This hole is a short par-5 but is again all uphill. Even the best drives still leave you with 210 or more out. I hit my tee ball to about 215 in the left middle of the fairway. The issue with my placement was not only the ball being above my feet, but also it being an uphill lie. I pulled the X-Hot again here but the lie got the best of me and I hit it a touch heavy. Left it about 30 yards shy. Another chip and 2 putt for a tidy par after my birdie run burnt the edge.

Hole 16: REALLY short par-4 (about 275) uphill with a slight dogleg right. OB is left and woods right make finding the fairway critical yet again. The height difference from the tee box to the landing area is probably a good 25-30 feet above the tee box so the loft on the X-Hot really works well here. I piped another one up the right side of the fairway that actually chased through into the first cut. Gave me a perfect line into the pin and I left my wedge at about 3 feet and drained the birdie.

Second 9: This was actual league play, so I was a little more conservative. Managed to shoot a 41 after taking a quadruple and a double to start.

Started on Hole 14: The par 5 mentioned above. Hooked my first drive left OB. Re-tee'd and bombed one out to about 202 yards in. Issue was same location as my first play through. Uphill lie with the ball above my feet again. Sure enough, another hooked ball OB. Turns out we found the ball after I finished the hole. Must have hit a tree and blew well past the hole because we found it near the next tee box. Either way, I made 9 on an easy par 5. That was my only bad swing with the X-Hot yesterday, so I'll take it.

Hole 16: Hit another X-Hot bomb with a baby draw (which has come out of nowhere, by the way) that didn't chase the fairway. I was again longer than all the other drivers played and was looking at about 60 yards into the green. Wedge and a 2 putt later I came out with another par. Boring, routine hole.

Hole 11: This time I lost my grip on the club a touch and it turned over in my hand and I hit a cut into the rough almost near the cart path. Approach jumped on me and went long of the green, leaving my an impossible downhill chip that ran back off the green again. Chip and a putt later I made bogey.

That's all I got to hit this yesterday. I've got a tee time at a course out of town today with my dad and 2 of the guys I played with yesterday, so I might get a chance to hit it there as well. Sorry for not having much to report lately. Summer classes had gotten the best of me and consumed much of my time. Thankfully those are all over.

Great work in here testers. Saw some excellent feedback and it generated a lot of good discussion.

I'm playing Crystalaire GC today so this should be interesting;)

I've had an Xhot Pro in play for months but my MC version is the truth. I hit three times the other day and only missed one shot. The club allows me take very aggressive lines knowing it going to hold its line. I fit one shot into a tight corner to access an uphill par five. Flew a 240 yard par four off the tee with slight left to right tail and flared one right on a dog leg right par four. I left the club face wide open on the last but still managed a great saving shot and had a 25' birdie put.

Ive talked about confidence as the 15th club for years, I have that in this club. I have a feeling it will get some serious use on Caledonia in 5 weeks.

Back