Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Irons & Hybrids Review

One thing they wanted to hit on was a clear product order…which I’m sure you heard about. So tell me your thoughts on how the segmentation goes from Apex Pro - Paradym - Ai Smoke.

I expected Smoke to look bulkier but it really doesn’t to my eye and is quite impressive.
On paper, there's clear segmentation. Apex Pro's look very much like you'd expect. Paradym and Smoke look slightly different. The lofts on these though tell the tale.

7 irons

Apex Pro - 33
Paradym - 29
Smoke - 28

There's a natural progression from 7 up through the longer irons (though the 9 down seem to be the same lofts between Smoke and Paradym and the 8 is awfully close)

The Smoke is slightly longer than Paradym and a little more forgiving. The Smoke's face benefits from the Callaway "Swing Code" that @Jman was alluding to in the article - 250k swings by real players. That's a huge departure from the prior testing by Callaway - instead of using robots, using real human swings with all the slight differences swing to swing instead of a lab repeatable swing of a robot. That changed the face quite a bit to help maintain distance, ball speeds, and improve dispersion. That's the other area of difference the Smoke irons have over the Paradyms and the Pros - the dispersion that mid to higher handicaps will see, it will provide a lot more consistency.

The look of top line and back are such an improvement over the Paradym line.

The HL irons and hybrids look and sound like winners. Love seeing expanded lines like these continuing from Callaway.

Gotta say, I'm not a huge Callaway iron guy, but I'll be damned. Those look really good and the three different options have me very interested in directly comparing the three.

Also, I probably have to hit the HL hybrid.
I tried both the HL hybrids and irons. Definitely go the fitting route for everyone. I was hitting the HLs a good 10 yards shorter than the normal Smoke irons and hybrids. They just created too much spin for me (the height was there, but I was losing too much due to the spin)

the re-return, definitely.

Three sets of iron heads, UTs, and a boom stick.
I think your bag is the quality i like most about you..

Ai Smoke Irons.

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8624.jpegIMG_8625.jpegIMG_8627.jpegIMG_8639.jpeg

Next to Cobra FTx

IMG_8588.jpegIMG_8580.jpegIMG_8582.jpeg

You guys remember that little secret weapon of mine that I was talking about?
That wasn't a utility iron?

:)
I was confused when you said not a utility iron...and now I understand! Can't wait to see how this plays for you, as I know a 4i has been in your bag here and there over the years. Seems like it's good so far!

Whats your longest shot with it so far?

I tried both the HL hybrids and irons. Definitely go the fitting route for everyone. I was hitting the HLs a good 10 yards shorter than the normal Smoke irons and hybrids. They just created too much spin for me (the height was there, but I was losing too much due to the spin)
I think that's where I might benefit. My spin numbers with hybrids are often closer to what people look for in drivers 🥵

Is the Hl and Speed irons the same other than loft difference ? In looking at the pics here and on Callaway site I can’t tell.

I think that's where I might benefit. My spin numbers with hybrids are often closer to what people look for in drivers 🥵
Then they may be just what you need! Give them a try

Is the Hl and Speed irons the same other than loft difference ? In looking at the pics here and on Callaway site I can’t tell.
By Speed you mean the Fast irons?

The Fast looked similar to my eye but the Callaway badging on the back looked like a slightly different size. I think that was to manipulate the weight for the Fast irons

I was confused when you said not a utility iron...and now I understand! Can't wait to see how this plays for you, as I know a 4i has been in your bag here and there over the years. Seems like it's good so far!

Whats your longest shot with it so far?
I flew the green with it on our first hole of the day on the par 5. I think I had like 225 to the flag that was a touch uphill. The ball just kept flying lmao

I’m drawing a blank on what distances I was carrying it during the range session. I’ll be sure to put a number on it when I can for you.

either way, the intent was an easy to hit club from any lie, and I think it’s accomplishing that in a big way already.

Can we get some address photos against a ball to get a idea of offset?

Anyone get these with Recoils?

I flew the green with it on our first hole of the day on the par 5. I think I had like 225 to the flag that was a touch uphill. The ball just kept flying lmao

I’m drawing a blank on what distances I was carrying it during the range session. I’ll be sure to put a number on it when I can for you.

either way, the intent was an easy to hit club from any lie, and I think it’s accomplishing that in a big way already.
That last paragraph is awesome to hear. Finding a club that works off the tee, on approach, and from some different lies is crucial for a club like this. It's need that versatility, which I haven't always found with other 4i's. I'll be following along!

Forged Tec X is my current iron, thanks for the comparison!!!
I picked up a club in distance with these irons and the new Chrome Tour ball. The feel is so great!!!! Go hit them STAT!

These look really nice and better than I expected.

The HL hybrid sound intriguing for a spot just below my 3w!!

light components, extra degree of loft, which should give about 2° more launch and 5-600 more rpm of spin. The face is a bit different too with the topography designed to lend towards even more launch and spin.

Back