Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

Just got the TD 3 wood in the mail and it is beautiful. Going to test asap and either game ventus tr blue or tr red. Played the tr red in the Paradym 3+ as it kicked up launch so with this being 15 I might make the switch to tr blue.

The Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g is such a great shaft for me in both the 3HL and 7W. If a mid/mid shaft works well for your swing, you may not need to look anywhere beyond this shaft, which is the stock offering in both of them. I had the HZRDUS Silver in my Paradym 3HL, which is another shaft I really like, but I'm finding the center of the face more consistently and getting better launch from the Ai Smoke 3HL with the Tensei Blue in it.
I’m a big fan of the Tensei Blue with the Smoke. I think it pairs well with Callaway’s woods and when I tried it gave me a nice mid launch profile. The Ventus blue gave me a touch more height (but not quite a high launch) and lower spin for my 3HL which was exactly what I was looking for! That generated about 5 yards more than the Tensei but they were quite close for me

I hit the 3HL and 7W with the lighter Project X Cypher 50. That was a good shaft for me. I hit both clubs very well with that shaft.
I have the PX Cypher 65 in my hybrids and it's good for me there, so I can easily believe that the Cypher would be a good fit in the fairways too.

I have the PX Cypher 65 in my hybrids and it's good for me there, so I can easily believe that the Cypher would be a good fit in the fairways too.
It's a good shaft for me. I'm very likely to try the Max D 3HL this season. I'm leaning that way currenty. Still have some off season time here, so it's not a rush.

Just got the TD 3 wood in the mail and it is beautiful. Going to test asap and either game ventus tr blue or tr red. Played the tr red in the Paradym 3+ as it kicked up launch so with this being 15 I might make the switch to tr blue.
It is a really good looking FW and I love the shape--super appealing to my eye at least.

I'm playing it with the TR Black and am happy with the flatter ball flight it gives me.

The Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65g is such a great shaft for me in both the 3HL and 7W. If a mid/mid shaft works well for your swing, you may not need to look anywhere beyond this shaft, which is the stock offering in both of them. I had the HZRDUS Silver in my Paradym 3HL, which is another shaft I really like, but I'm finding the center of the face more consistently and getting better launch from the Ai Smoke 3HL with the Tensei Blue in it.
The Tensei AV blue 65g is such a good fit for these clubs. I also have the 3HL wood and the 7W. The fitter and I spent most of our time on wedges and fairway woods because he felt after seeing my swing that my strokes gained were going to be mostly gained safely eating up yardage and hitting the target once close.
We swapped out back and forth a few shafts on these but this shaft was the best combination of juuuust a little height but not enough to make shots go haywire on a miss. I love a 3 wood from a tee, but this club has become a security blanket almost every time I’m in the fairway.
Not in a million years would I have envisioned a 3 wood off the deck become a no brainer.

The Tensei AV blue 65g is such a good fit for these clubs. I also have the 3HL wood and the 7W. The fitter and I spent most of our time on wedges and fairway woods because he felt after seeing my swing that my strokes gained were going to be mostly gained safely eating up yardage and hitting the target once close.
We swapped out back and forth a few shafts on these but this shaft was the best combination of juuuust a little height but not enough to make shots go haywire on a miss. I love a 3 wood from a tee, but this club has become a security blanket almost every time I’m in the fairway.
Not in a million years would I have envisioned a 3 wood off the deck become a no brainer.
3HL off the deck is so good for me. I didn't carry a 3W for years because I couldn't hit one well off the deck, and a well struck 5W goes a lot further and straighter than a poorly struck 3W. The 3HL changed all that, I have no problem with it off the deck and it's my go-to anytime I just need to get as much yardage as I can from the fairway.

Weirdly of all the new items in the bag this year, I feel like the 5W and HW are going to be the biggest question marks. Mainly stemming from not really having hit them on course at all other than in December, and sim results being either very good or very bad at times.

Really hoping that I can carry over some of last year's consistency with the woods to the new Smoke Max woods in the bag this year.

Definitely a change, going from a set where driver/3W/HW all had different mismatched shafts, going to the Tensei Blue across the Driver and Woods now, I am hoping it helps bring a lot more consistency across the wood spots. Being able to keep that ball flight a little lower, and ideally with less spin overall, I am really hoping that these woods turn into some yardage gobbling monsters.

Echoing what others have mentioned, a big hope for this season is to just introduce a lot more consistency of strike with the woods, eat up a lot of yardage on longer holes, and then hopefully take advantage with the wedges to shoot better scores.

What is there not to love about the shape of the Ai Smoke 3w Max D? It’s similar to me at address as the Paradym was but has a slightly different shape. I need to get side by side pictures of these, but the shape and crown fit my eye well. Slightly closed at address and provides the ball flight and shape that I strived for going into my fitting. I am definitely launching the ball higher and seeing a mid to high ball flight.
IMG_2531.jpeg
The face just provides such a fast ball and is where the Smoke prevails. Forgiveness across the face for me and I now have the confidence that I’m not going to snap hook the ball.
IMG_2532.jpeg

3HL off the deck is so good for me. I didn't carry a 3W for years because I couldn't hit one well off the deck, and a well struck 5W goes a lot further and straighter than a poorly struck 3W. The 3HL changed all that, I have no problem with it off the deck and it's my go-to anytime I just need to get as much yardage as I can from the fairway.
I decided to get the Max D 3HL. I haven’t had success with a 3W from the fairway and I’m hoping this can change that. I have relied on a 5W but I could use a little more distance in this spot.

I decided to get the Max D 3HL. I haven’t had success with a 3W from the fairway and I’m hoping this can change that. I have relied on a 5W but I could use a little more distance in this spot.
I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it. Mine is the Max D also - the thought of monster hooks scared me when the fitter put me into it, but I haven't hit one of them yet.

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it. Mine is the Max D also - the thought of monster hooks scared me when the fitter put me into it, but I haven't hit one of them yet.
I will post here in the thread. Unfortunately I’m still in the off season so it will be some time before I get it out on the course.

TD 7W was a hoot today.

Shaft change made it more playable in the crazy winds on a day like today, but it’s extremely versatile off the tee and into greens now.

Still wild to me how easy it is to elevate.

Ok...my Smoke Max 5w needs to hurry up and get here, lol.

I think I want a new fairway wood. I hate that I can’t shaft swap easily with my Rogues since they are fixed hosels though. I wish I did my own club work.

I think I want a new fairway wood. I hate that I can’t shaft swap easily with my Rogues since they are fixed hosels though. I wish I did my own club work.
Fixed hosel woods is the one thing I haven't tried yet in club work. I need to learn.

These are only adjustable in the 3 & 3HL. 5W and higher are fixed.
Fixed hosel woods is the one thing I haven't tried yet in club work. I need to learn.
Shaft puller required but other than that the biggest challenge is getting the SW right. With the weights, it's way easier. Or lead tape if you don't mind the look (I don't).

Shaft puller required but other than that the biggest challenge is getting the SW right. With the weights, it's way easier. Or lead tape if you don't mind the look (I don't).
I have a shaft puller, but I'm just concerned with hitting it with too much heat and discoloring or messing with the paint on the head.

Yep, I know. I wish they would bring back adjustable all the way through but 3w and 3HL is a start. I’d be replacing the 3w if I ended up doing it. Only mentioned adjustable since I have a Ventus Red in my 3w that I’d want to swap over lol

I have a shaft puller, but I'm just concerned with hitting it with too much heat and discoloring or messing with the paint on the head.
Heat gun FTW here. I've had the same concerns in the past but never actually had any discoloration issues. I'll use a torch on steel shafted irons if they're stubborn, but take my time with woods and only use the heat gun.

Time for an upgrade to Smoke.

Without reading 19 pages , I’m looking for reviews on the TD 3 wood. I hit my buddies for a couple swings the other day. Love how it sits in -1 loft. He had it set in the draw settings and my god was it long the tr blue shaft off the tee. The spin appeared too low off the deck though but again only hit a few balls with it. Need some time with it. I wish they would release the TD 16.5 degree adjustable head I could deloft it 1 degree. I will say the gapping seemed perfect to my 19 UW. Solid year for callaway woods.

Without reading 19 pages , I’m looking for reviews on the TD 3 wood. I hit my buddies for a couple swings the other day. Love how it sits in -1 loft. He had it set in the draw settings and my god was it long the tr blue shaft off the tee. The spin appeared too low off the deck though but again only hit a few balls with it. Need some time with it. I wish they would release the TD 16.5 degree adjustable head I could deloft it 1 degree. I will say the gapping seemed perfect to my 19 UW. Solid year for callaway woods.
What would you like to know about the TD? I’m playing the 15* -1.

A review would be great. Setup. Playability from tee and deck. Feedback. Launch. Spin. Etc,…

A review would be great. Setup. Playability from tee and deck. Feedback. Launch. Spin. Etc,…
I am posting a link to some of my previous posts:

Post in thread 'Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review'
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...oke-fairway-wood-review.8958911/post-12088471

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...oke-fairway-wood-review.8958911/post-12101340

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/callaway-paradym-ai-smoke-fairway-wood-review.8958911/post-

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...oke-fairway-wood-review.8958911/post-12114915

Back