Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I have to admit that the Mavrik Sub Zero is a damn good driver. The sound is so much improved over the Epic Flash release.

i really enjoyed the max today. forgiveness where i absolutely must have it. i was much more in play than the last times out with the standard. it’s firmly in the bag while my bad play persists.

the course was super wet today, so very little roll. my best drives were around 240-250 per arccos. i’ll take that all day in wet conditions.

The standard head with the Riptide shaft was amazing for me today. Truly amazing - I’ve had a great year driving the ball compared to my historical stats. I’m excited to see where this takes me for a full year.

I actually cancelled my appointment to put the Mav SZ head against my Std Mav. I've been so pleased with the performance of this driver that I felt it wasn't in my best interest to open it up for any debate. Now... I did just pop on a Ventus Blue Velocore 6S to go against the Tensei PW 60 I'm currently gaming. Based on reviews (and I've read a ton) it sounds like a better Tensei. Hoping it shows before my Friday tee time. I'll report back with results once I have a chance to compare.

More of the same with this driver. I only hit 9 fairways, but the ones missed were playable and only one OB (operator error). Nice easy move through the ball and the distance is there.

this was my best drive of the day. It ended on the first cut, but playable. Safe to say the Max isn’t going anywhere

1591583891072.jpeg

The standard head with the Riptide shaft was amazing for me today. Truly amazing - I’ve had a great year driving the ball compared to my historical stats. I’m excited to see where this takes me for a full year.

This is where I'm at. If I can end the year even close to my current stats it should be interesting to see where my scoring ends up.

Ater I got hurt last summer I switched to an M5 primarily. Very similar shaft to what I'm playing in my Sub Zero. I played some of the best golf of my life after that, and my FIR was 58.5%. Weakest part of my game, really. Since I started playing the SZ, I've gained 7 yds of avg total distance and my FIR with it is now 76.2% over 27 rounds. I put a lot of driver work in over the winter, so that should definitely account for some of the accuracy increase. I'm very confident that on the whole I've actually been swinging just a touch slower though, and it was bloody cold for a lot of those early rounds this year. As it's heating up, so are the numbers.

That head is just efficient as can be for me.

More of the same with this driver. I only hit 9 fairways, but the ones missed were playable and only one OB (operator error). Nice easy move through the ball and the distance is there.

this was my best drive of the day. It ended on the first cut, but playable. Safe to say the Max isn’t going anywhere

View attachment 8947822
Nice! What’s your normal SS?

20200607_081402.jpg

This hole is downhill and opens up on the left. I was feeling confident with my swing and hit a beauty right down the middle.

20200607_081801.jpg

I played this hole again later and hit another that measured 286. The Standard Maverik has it all, distance, forgiveness and the sound/feel is intoxicating.

Continue to just love this driver. I will be shocked at how Callaway can improve upon this one to be honest. So much speed and forgiveness, with the Perfect sound and feel.

got the max in Friday, hit 2 drives with it on the range then played with it for our first tournament round in 3 months. Tough to get much info in the way of distance as we were playing in heavy wind that was not in the normal direction.

couple things I can say with confidence: 3g lighter head weight than EF SZ, not surprising since it is the GI model and the SZ is usually for higher swing speed players. I have some weights on order but I don't think 3g is enought for me to notice.

With the heavy weight in the heel this thing does not want to go right. My usual miss is right, but I only missed 2 drives right and there is not a club on this planet that could have gotten them in the fairway. I missed several drives left, which I think was a combination of a) my normal swing path with a clubface that actually closes and b) because I miss right I am more left so I may have hit it dead straight but left.

regardless, I enjoyed the sound and think this will stay in the bag for a while as if I can worry more about missing on one side I have a chance to be less terrible.

regardless, I enjoyed the sound and think this will stay in the bag for a while as if I can worry more about missing on one side I have a chance to be less terrible.

Feedback you have here kind of mirrors my thoughts to a T.

Feedback you have here kind of mirrors my thoughts to a T.

Yeah, if this is close to the distance of the EF SZ and can limit my right miss I will be happy. I think it will end up being longer because more face closure for me will mean less spin and more ball speed. Even fractionally that will add up... but that is all just a guess at this point.

Yeah, if this is close to the distance of the EF SZ and can limit my right miss I will be happy. I think it will end up being longer because more face closure for me will mean less spin and more ball speed. Even fractionally that will add up... but that is all just a guess at this point.

Looking forward to your thoughts as you get to put it in play a bit more.

got the max in Friday, hit 2 drives with it on the range then played with it for our first tournament round in 3 months. Tough to get much info in the way of distance as we were playing in heavy wind that was not in the normal direction.

couple things I can say with confidence: 3g lighter head weight than EF SZ, not surprising since it is the GI model and the SZ is usually for higher swing speed players. I have some weights on order but I don't think 3g is enought for me to notice.

With the heavy weight in the heel this thing does not want to go right. My usual miss is right, but I only missed 2 drives right and there is not a club on this planet that could have gotten them in the fairway. I missed several drives left, which I think was a combination of a) my normal swing path with a clubface that actually closes and b) because I miss right I am more left so I may have hit it dead straight but left.

Sounds like a good first outing. It won't take you you long to adjust aim points knowing the right side really isn't in play anymore. It will go right on bad swings but nothing can be done about that, thats the indian not the arrow.

Well thankfully I am now able to play that game they golf again. So after playing yesterday with my old Cleveland 588 Custom I decided to update my driver today. Ended up getting fitted with the Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5. Have always had issues with not being able to get the ball high, so this guy should help. Planning on going out tonight with a friend for a quick round, then started up in a league with work that's tomorrow. So I should get some good play time with this. Really looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

Similar thoughts to me. That weight in the heel caused me to be more left than I wanted so I kept the heavy back and it still wants to go straight. Bad swings are bad swings, but this thing is a tight fade or a straight tee shot

Similar thoughts to me. That weight in the heel caused me to be more left than I wanted so I kept the heavy back and it still wants to go straight. Bad swings are bad swings, but this thing is a tight fade or a straight tee shot
well if I can get straight shots or just a little fade I'll definitely take that stuff

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gave up a club so I could start with the standard today on the first hole, hitting a hard ball, and I forget how nice that head sounds. They did that right. It's definitely more muted than the SZ. Went 1/1 with the standard and 9/11 with the sub today. Need to try to standard with the tour flat adapter'd shaft I have at the apartment. It's just weird to look at after this long with the SZ.

Last edited:
I had another good driving day with the max/attas 7s combo. I hit 8 fairways, and most of my misses were very playable. the max is super forgiving, i'm just waiting to see the distance I've had with other drivers in the past. i'm definitely not giving the driver much to work with, and conditions right now are very wet so my distances are probably limited to mostly carry, but based on prior year numbers in arccos i'm still about 17 yards short of where I was with my previous gamer. with my short game troubles, I need to have the shortest possible club for my approach shot if I have any hope of scoring decently.

So I got out last night and ended up playing 9 holes enchante 43 which is good for me cuz I've only played four times this year. but I was able to try this driving out and I didn't do so hot with it. after talking to my buddy Derek I think I figured out what my issue is. my last driver was 44 1/2 or 45 in Long. so next time I'm play I'm going to have to choke up on the club to get about the distance I'm used to. does everybody preferred to choke up or would you go and get the shaft cut and get weight figured for it?

So I got out last night and ended up playing 9 holes enchante 43 which is good for me cuz I've only played four times this year. but I was able to try this driving out and I didn't do so hot with it. after talking to my buddy Derek I think I figured out what my issue is. my last driver was 44 1/2 or 45 in Long. so next time I'm play I'm going to have to choke up on the club to get about the distance I'm used to. does everybody preferred to choke up or would you go and get the shaft cut and get weight figured for it?

Choke up. Its the easiest and quickest way to fix it. JMO

Another vote to choke up unless the handle sticking out bothers you. I have always choked up in the past but I am using all 45.5 inches with the Mavrik.

I had another good driving day with the max/attas 7s combo. I hit 8 fairways, and most of my misses were very playable. the max is super forgiving, i'm just waiting to see the distance I've had with other drivers in the past. i'm definitely not giving the driver much to work with, and conditions right now are very wet so my distances are probably limited to mostly carry, but based on prior year numbers in arccos i'm still about 17 yards short of where I was with my previous gamer. with my short game troubles, I need to have the shortest possible club for my approach shot if I have any hope of scoring decently.

I only had that club for about a week because of the short distance. I honestly only thought it was forgiving because my shots were so much shorter in distance it kept me out of trouble.

I only had that club for about a week because of the short distance. I honestly only thought it was forgiving because my shots were so much shorter in distance it kept me out of trouble.

and I’m on the opposite end where I’ve seen some of my longest drives with the 9* max. The forgiveness and tighter dispersion is there along with the distance. The only time I saw shorter distances was when I put the heavy weight in the heel.

Back