Callaway Golf Morgan Cup Hybrid Thread

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
I figured these clubs deserved their own thread as they are that good. Callaway was nice enough to let us choose any shaft in their arsenal. I will edit this post with my thoughts and pictures later tonight.

Reserved for goodness

That's great they let you guys do that. Looking forward to your pics buddy. As you know I was a big fan of the Razr X hybo. Can't wait to hear about others thoughts on them.

Good idea ******, I will now post pics of the hybrids that came to my door yesterday. I chose the Razr X 3 and 4 hybrids with the Proforce V2 hybrid shafts in stiff flex. This is my favorite hybrid shaft I've ever played for my game, so when Callaway offered us any shaft in their hybrid line, it was really an easy choice for me. They are also a half inch longer than standard and have Lamkin N-Dur grips with 2 extra wraps of tape, and I've found I really love this grip.

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet, as I got them last night and today its pouring rain, but here are the pics I took yesterday.

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

I figured these clubs deserved their own thread as they are that good. Callaway was nice enough to let us choose any shaft in their arsenal. I will edit this post with my thoughts and pictures later tonight.

Reserved for goodness

Ok si what did you pick? I can't see wigs on taptalk

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Dang breezy! I swear you're going to love those. I love the sound they produce.

Dang breezy! I swear you're going to love those. I love the sound they produce.
I wanted to hit them so bad today, especially with how much you have loved these hybrids. It was just way to rainy for me today and thats saying a lot for a westcoaster. I will hit them tomorrow at the range.

I wanted to hit them so bad today, especially with how much you have loved these hybrids. It was just way to rainy for me today and thats saying a lot for a westcoaster. I will hit them tomorrow at the range.

I hope my advice pays off for you. I really hope you don't hate them. I don't think you will though. Really easy to hit and a sound that is super infectious.

I hope my advice pays off for you. I really hope you don't hate them. I don't think you will though. Really easy to hit and a sound that is super infectious.
I'm sure they will be great, if not they will still be more than good enough to beat DeanO

Ok si what did you pick? I can't see wigs on taptalk

Hey royal I got the 3/4 hybrid that comes with the Razr XFs. Freaking love them

Good idea ******, I will now post pics of the hybrids that came to my door yesterday. I chose the Razr X 3 and 4 hybrids with the Proforce V2 hybrid shafts in stiff flex. This is my favorite hybrid shaft I've ever played for my game, so when Callaway offered us any shaft in their hybrid line, it was really an easy choice for me. They are also a half inch longer than standard and have Lamkin N-Dur grips with 2 extra wraps of tape, and I've found I really love this grip.

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet, as I got them last night and today its pouring rain, but here are the pics I took yesterday.

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

IMG_5179.jpg

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5177.jpg

Nice pics breezy, I am assuming the bare feet are optional...LOL

Breezy, those look phenomenal. Interesting that you went a bit longer than stock, any reason why?

nice hybos CB. Love those shafts, very solid. Also interested in why you added length. I like my hybrids at iron length, but that's just me.

I went with 3 & 4 Razr X hybrids with Fujikara Motore F1 stiff shafts. They have been absolutely fantastic to hit, I have 4 rounds in with them already and I am in love! Really makes me wish I had ordered a 5 hybrid....not that I have a hard time with the 5 iron, but the hybrids are so pure and easy to hit a high soft shot!

The 4 hybrid is already my money club....I can hit it high, low...a punch...more it right or left, I can choke up and hit it or grip it and rip it...it is freaking awesome!

Huge thanks to Callaway Golf for opening up the shaft vault and letting us choose custom shafts for these.

F6F5E23C.jpg
A16B6998.jpg
015F5583.jpg

Nice pics breezy, I am assuming the bare feet are optional...LOL
Bare feet are not optional.
Breezy, those look phenomenal. Interesting that you went a bit longer than stock, any reason why?

nice hybos CB. Love those shafts, very solid. Also interested in why you added length. I like my hybrids at iron length, but that's just me.
Me too boys, but I play my irons half inch long, and I like it in my hybrids too. It also makes the lie angle about 0.75* more upright and thats about perfect for me.

Bare feet are not optional.

Me too boys, but I play my irons half inch long, and I like it in my hybrids too. It also makes the lie angle about 0.75* more upright and thats about perfect for me.
Sounds good to me! Hit 'em well dude.

Dude I like it. I'm going to reshoot some pics and go barefoot

Love the picks Breeze!
Glad to hear they're rolling well for you already.

If I can chime in with the gushing I thought TC was absolutely mad when he talked about these last year and how effortless they are. Fast forward 8 months or so and I entirely agree with him. Addicting sound, great feel and just super, easy distance from any lie. Carrying these things in your bag is like having a Ninja Squrriel that runs around with you and kicks people who don't rake their sand traps in the nuts.

CB you are going to love those hybrids stupid easy to his and long. Can't wait to hear your thoughts with that shaft. Since you guys are sponsored by Callaway for the MC do you know who makes the stock Callaway shaft. Enjoy your new toys guys

Nice pictures CB and TBT. Have to agree with what everyone else has said. They are the best hybrid that I have ever hit. I went with the Fubuki Alpha x Stiff and absolutely love the set up. High ball flight soft landing. Can work it both ways if needed. It really is the total package.

CB you are going to love those hybrids stupid easy to his and long. Can't wait to hear your thoughts with that shaft. Since you guys are sponsored by Callaway for the MC do you know who makes the stock Callaway shaft. Enjoy your new toys guys

Not really sure on the hybrids scrap. I know Aldila is making the stock shaft for the Fit driver

My hybrid has been wicked long and accurate. Overshot a couple greens this past week that really surprised me. I am loving the low launch/low spin results I am getting from the Fubuki shaft. If it had not been for The Morgan Cup I never would have had the chance to try this shaft out, but now I think it may be on any hybrid in my future. Definitely makes me want to try the fairway wood and driver shafts as well. I'm still amazed at how low this thing launches. It's just like a penetrating line drive every time but its always on point.

Hybrids. They can sometimes be such a mystery to me. Do I like a hybrid that is more iron like or more wood like? Do I want a tour version that sits a bit open or do I want a standard version that is square or maybe a little closed. How many clubs do I replace with hybrids? Offset?

Gah! All these questions hit me when I was thinking about my irons/hybrids for the Morgan Cup 2.0. In the past I can say that I have only ever replaced a 3I in my set. I always carried a 4I because I felt an iron was more versatile than a hybrid. Read that as saying sometimes I need to punch out of the woods with a draw or fade. Well since I’ve been putting a lot of time into my game it was time for some reflection. How many times did I need the “versatility” of a 4I versus how many times did I just pull a 4I and try and hit a straight up shot with it. The 3H is a no brainer for me. I simply don’t practice enough to hit the 3I with any consistency. Heck I’m not sure I practice enough to hit a 3H with any consistency.

It’s the 4I/4H that gives me headaches. If I’m on I can hit the 4I just fine. A little off and it’s not consistent at all but it is a club I like to use from jail. After much reflection I decided it’s better to have a club that I can trust on longish par 3’s instead of a club that I need to bail me out from the woods. So I decided to go 3H/4H 5-GW. I will turn to the 5I when I’m in trouble. So now that my mind is made up on the set, which version of Callaway hybrid do I choose? Well for me that was an easy one

While down in Florida back in December, I was able to test out the Callaway hybrids. I tried the Razr X hybrid first and really liked what I saw. Pretty easy to hit and a mishit was not punished too badly. I was seeing a mid/high ball flight with a consistent little draw. The look at address was pleasing. A nice cross between iron/wood with a little more iron in it. I like that the paint starts a little back from the face. Makes me not worry about idiot marks with my steep swing. I was comfortable with this hybrid and felt like it would be in my bag.

Then I used the Razr XF’s for a few rounds down there and took the 3/4H that come with that set. My first shot with it was as a layup on a par 5. My drive was a little short and couldn’t go for it. Wanting to lay up to 75 yards, I pulled the 3H. The looks were similar to the Razr X hybrid but it had noticeably more offset. For a split second I thought of possible hook problems. Lined up, took a nice smooth swing and the ball just jumped off the face. I sat in awe of the high boring ball that just continued to go. With a slight draw at the end, the ball fell to the earth. Drove up to the ball and had only 50 yards left. This was continued for the entirety of the Florida trip. These hybrids just blew my doors off. I think Dean would agree as he was continually reaching into my bag to hit them.

Fast forward to decision time and it was the easiest one I had to make this entire time. Since I was getting the Razr XF’s, the hybrids that came with the set were perfect to match up. I’ve hit them off tight lies, deep woods, and sand, and each time the results were stellar. There is a bit of a rail system on the bottom which I would assume helps with hitting off the deck. I assume it does because I hit these off the deck very well. Given the opportunity I jumped at pairing these with the Fubuki AX 350 hybrid shaft.

The Fubuki AX series is designed to give a bit more penetrating, flatter ball flight. I thought paired with these hybrids, these shafts would still get high enough but would virtually eliminate any chance of ballooning. Plus they have ninja stars. So far I have seen exactly this. A nice high flight but it just bores through any wind. Perfection. And man the feel of these is beyond smooth. The hybrid just feels like it jumps at the ball as I go through the hitting zone.

Fast forward to today. I have hit these clubs a few times but always at night. So it was tough to really get a feel for the ball flight. Feeling a little better this morning I figured I would head to the range and have a few swings with the hybrids. Warmed up a bit and had a decent swing although I was feeling pretty weak. Took the 4H and took aim at the 200 sign. I figured I would hit a little in front of this sign. First 5 shots were all the same. A nice high flight that was completely straight as it flew out. As it hit its apex and started to drop, a slight draw brought the ball back to earth. The ball flight was exactly what I wanted. I like a high flight with hybrids. I’m generally using these on long par 3’s or par 5’s and a high flight will give me a better chance of holding a green.

I only had about 50 swings in me today. I took about 25 shots a piece with the 3H and 4H. I was as blown away today as I was down in Florida. They were both so easy to hit. I won’t sit here and say I hit every one perfect. I am still sick and pretty weak so I saw some ugly swings. But on smooth swings I saw the same darn thing every time. High flight with a slight draw at the end. Otherwise known as perfect in my book. The head/shaft combo is absolutely amazing. The head wants to go very high and the shaft brings it down slightly. I am so happy that I went with this combo. I feel like one of my issues on the course, the long iron, has suddenly become a strength.

Thank you Callaway for giving me these amazing weapons. I am just blown away. Giving us carte blanche on hybrid shafts was such a nice surprise and is truly appreciated. And of course thank you Josh and Morgan for giving this hacker a chance. This entire experience is something that I will never forget.

Charging the camera now to take some barefoot pics

Nice pics CB and TBT very good looking Hybrids

Back