Callaway Big Bertha Metal Woods - Throwback Thursday 10/28/10

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each Thursday we do a little blast from the past and have some fun with it. In our this installment, we thought we would showcase the latest and the greatest from Callaway Golf from close to 20 years ago.

The Golf Club that Made Callaway Famous

The Year of 1991
The Masters: Ian Woosnam
U.S. Open: Payne Stewart
British Open: Ian Baker-Finch
PGA Championship: John Daly
Money Leader: Corey Pavin, $979,430

Launch of an Icon
In 1991 Callaway created the "Big Bertha" Driver, an oversized driver named for the huge gun used by the Germans during World War I to drop shells on Paris from six miles away. The principle behind Callaway's creation of the metal wood driver was that it put more weight around the perimeter of the head of the club, resulting in a thinner face. According to Callaway, this gave the golfer a greater "feel" at the time of impact with the ball. Moreover, the golfer did not have to hit the ball precisely on the button to obtain directional control and good distance. Soon golfers were swearing by them, and sales surpassed all the other brands of golf clubs made in America.

What are your thoughts of this amazing "new" technology?
Did you play them?

Tech Specs

Lofts - Available in 8, 9, 10, and 11 degress
CC - All models were 190cc
Length - They came standard at 43"

Some Pictures of the Original

1066061342_bwtRb-L.jpg

1066063952_DBL2h-L.jpg

Last edited:
yes! now you're talking. my first 3wood ever was that fwy wood, but i took it one step further.....i installed a graphite bubble shaft in it! that thing was solid!

I've still got a Biggest Big Bertha 8* Ti, 9* Bigger Big Bertha Ti, and a 9.5* Great Big Bertha Hawkeye (steel head) in my closet. All hand me downs!

I just sold mine to a playing partner that still loves them. A great club with a lot of fond memories for me.

I had one and I loved it

I still have mine in the basement!

Dude thats a classic, Id never get rid of it. I wish I still had mine.

I had one too;the driver. Actually a couple secondhand ones.I couldn't hit em very well.So I upgraded to a Polecat which was basically the same head but a standard hosel and had a little better luck with it..

I didn't even play golf at that time, but I remember hearing about these when they came out.

If I am really struggling with my driver I put this one into play. The only time I've hit a bad shot is when I put a ball through my window at home haha.

Great feeling driver. Still the best feeling driver I've ever hit imo.

I just gave back the Big Bertha knockoffs that my dad let me 'borrow' for the past 10 years. Eye opening to go from the 190cc head to a 400cc+ head.

Haha wow. My grandfather still uses the driver and fairway woods. It's crazy because he goes through new iron sets every year. Whatever works I guess!

I love how the Big Bertha name stuck around for all these years.

Until 2010.

hell of a run for a club name. Its funny because you see other names starting to come back. Launcher was back after a few years absence, Mashie is coming back, Niblick, Burner drivers

My first real big brand driver, I loved it. The wonder that was the 'firm' flex shaft too, and that unusual (up until that point) sound when you hit one out of the middle!

I remember when I first started playing golf that Callaway clubs were "the clubs" to have. Both woods and irons looked soo good in all the catalogs, and though I never hit any Big Bertha woods or irons, I always wanted to.

My buddy, Chas, still plays with these things today. He loves em. His driver is 7.5 degrees I believe.

Anyways, I'm glad he still has them, it gives me regular opportunity to rib him when I outdrive him by 30 yards and casually comment that this might not keep happening if he played clubs from the new millenium

Yep, one heck of a club for its time. I have the "Large Marge" knock-off and I think I have the "Big Bertha" as well. I'll look and post a side by side when I get if if I have them both.

I still have a Great Big Bertha that I will put into play when ever I start having trouble hitting the sweet spot consistently. Its a good solid stick that unlike todays drivers can be hit off the deck fairly easily on those long par 5's.

I can remember when these came out. Very innovative at the time. I knew a lot of people that had one. A friend had a knock-off that was called Big Brother.

I still have and use a Great Big Bertha 3-wood (circa ~1995?). Great club and have no reason to replace it.

Does anybody else think this was the most cloned and copied club ever?

I still have an 8* Warbird sitting in my spare bag. That was my favorite club and I gamed it up until last year.

More than that, wasn't this really the club that introduced the idea of cloning?

Almost without a doubt, not only was it the most copied club ever it completely revolutionized the industry and forever changed the game of golf in my opinion. This is the club that started it all.

Back